D&D (2024) Just drop the backgrounds.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
An Elf Ranger and a Dwarf Ranger do the same stuff with regards to the base class (sans the subclass features). But when you throw the subclasses into the mix, the only time they would do the same stuff is when both are members of the same subclass. There are quite a number of official WoTC subclasses for the Ranger class, and an untold number of Ranger subclasses that have been created by 3rd party companies and those D&D fans who like to homebrew.

But there is no generic Elf and no generic Dwarf in 5e. Instead there is quite a number of official elven and dwarven subraces, 3rd party company versions of both races, and homebrewed versions of both races.

The players with their DM's approval can choose any version of elf and dwarf they want. They can choose any version of the Ranger class or Ranger subclass (again with DM approval) they want.

So it's hard to say IMO if class matters way more than race.
That really doesn't complicate things much: sure, both Class and Subclass make more of a difference than Race, by a lot.

An Elf Ranger and a Dwarf Ranger do the same stuff with regards to the base class (sans the subclass features). But when you throw the subclasses into the mix, the only time they would do the same stuff is when both are members of the same subclass. There are quite a number of official WoTC subclasses for the Ranger class, and an untold number of Ranger subclasses that have been created by 3rd party companies and those D&D fans who like to homebrew.

But there is no generic Elf and no generic Dwarf in 5e. Instead there is quite a number of official elven and dwarven subraces, 3rd party company versions of both races, and homebrewed versions of both races.

The players with their DM's approval can choose any version of elf and dwarf they want. They can choose any version of the Ranger class or Ranger subclass (again with DM approval) they want.

So it's hard to say IMO if class matters way more than race.
This honestly seems to miss @Parmandur's points quite badly.

First, it's absolutely the case that in terms of game mechanics, over multiple levels of play, that one's choice of class will matter more than one's choice of race or background. 1D&D might try to change that, but that's how it is in 5e (and has been in any WotC edition of the game and in either edition of AD&D).

Second, if the gamebook is a user interface - which it is - and if on the main players choose their class before choosing a race or background, shouldn't the user interface reflect how it's actually used? That has nothing to do with which aspect of a character any given individual player finds more appealing than others.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
By a lot because the class offers so much more than race?
Yes: the character is a game piece as much as a narrative one, and Race plays a fairly small role in game mechanics, while Class is almost everything. Subclass is also more important than Race, that sort of reinforces my point.

Last edited:

Yes: the character is a game piece as much as a narrative one, and Rave plays a fairly small role in game mechanics, while Class is almost everything. Subclass is also more important than Race, that sort of reinforces my point.
Okay. That makes sense.

Anyone remember when 3e's Unearthed Arcana created the racial paragon class, and the Races book (Races of the Wild, Races of Stone) created the racial substitution levels? curious The former was a 3-level class that provided features for a specific race, and allowed you to become a paragon of your respective race. The racial substitution levels otoh replaced up to three levels of a particular class with ones geared toward a specific race. These were 3e's attempts to make race more relevant in D&D.

4e tried to do the same, and not in a good way IMO.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The existing order is Race then Class then Ability Scores. Background isn't mentioned in the Step-by-Step guidelines to creating a character. Also, race and class can very, very easily be swapped in this order, and are so commonly swapped that it's often the norm.

Background is in "4. Describe Your Characters" in the Step-by-Step guidelines (in bold along with alignment, ideals, bonds, and flaws).

I hadn't really noticed before that ability scores were in the 3rd step, instead of where they were in B/X, 1e, 2e, PF, but where they are for 13th age, and 4e. Feels like that re-ordering says a lot about a shift in the game (and it makes sense to me).

And I agree, that folks often pick race before class in my experience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases