• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Justice League 12-6-03

CrusaderX

First Post
I was a little disappointed with this episode. The RFG just seemed like generic villians, and the Justice League, who are supposed to be the best of the best, shouldn't struggle so much when taking on generic villians.

Superman shouldn't be struggling when fighting a guy like Ten. Batman should have outsmarted Jack much sooner. And a guy who can shoot engery blasts shouldn't really provide much of a challange to the Flash. Heck, since the Flash knew where the bombs were and knew how to disarm them, he should have been able to disarm all the bombs in under a minute. Once again, the Flash isn't used to his full potential.

And yes, I know that having the Leauge easily defeat the villians would make for a boring episode, but the answer to this is to have the League face tough opponents, not to water down the League's abilities. And I just didn't feel like the RFG were tough opponents.

And how did Ace zap the Joker in the end? I thought insanity made you immune to her powers? It would have been more enjoyable to see the Joker using the "Ace" up his sleeve against Batman at the story's climax...only to learn that Batman himself is immune to her powers. Now that would have been kind of creepy and rather cool. :)

Last edited:

Vocenoctum

First Post
CrusaderX said:
And how did Ace zap the Joker in the end? I thought insanity made you immune to her powers? It would have been more enjoyable to see the Joker using the "Ace" up his sleeve against Batman at the story's climax...only to learn that Batman himself is immune to her powers. Now that would have been kind of creepy and rather cool. :)

I really was expecting Batman to be immune, but alas, no.
I suppose Ace's powers are driven by her will. While affecting the audience, she really didn't care. Joker was immune to that. WHen she focused on Joker, he was toast.

The episode was kind of bland to me, except Ace. She was great. :)

Villano

First Post
Interesting episode. Since it was basically a "race against time" story, it was rather straightforward without much room for the bad writing to creep in.

I actually liked this version of the RFG better than the comics'. Before they were pretty interchangable. In fact, iirc, they did go through several members. Giving them powers was interesting.

The only thing I didn't like was their origin. What were they supposed to be, mutants? Blah! That was just generic.

paulewaug said:
Also!! We Finally(!) got to see Hawkgirl's face

I'm glad we finally saw Hawkgirl as well. Maybe we can finally get a look at Flash.

BTW, wouldn't it have been cooler if she looked like some sort of horrible mutant under that mask. When GL pulled it off, she had lips growing out of her forehead or something? "Kissss meeee, Lanterrrnnnn!" Maybe I'm just twisted. :)

Also I thought that the animation on the "CPR" was kind of lacking, but nice thinking on Hawkgirls part! ;)

Dude, she's an alien. Her biology is different. On her planet, you have to press on a person's spleen and pound on their kidneys to restart their heart. :D

Last edited:

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Villano said:
I'm glad we finally saw Hawkgirl as well. Maybe we can finally get a look at Flash. BTW, wouldn't it have been cooler if she looked like some sort of horrible mutant under that mask. When GL pulled it off, she had lips growing out of her forehead or something? "Kissss meeee, Lanterrrnnnn!" Maybe I'm just twisted. :)

I was starting to think that they were going to have her mask actually BE her real face!

buzzard

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
I really was expecting Batman to be immune, but alas, no.
I suppose Ace's powers are driven by her will. While affecting the audience, she really didn't care. Joker was immune to that. WHen she focused on Joker, he was toast.

No, it was the power nullifying circlet that Bats took from Joker that was keeping him immune. The whole insanity claim was just a ploy by Joker to manipulate Ace. Note how she became quite ticked at Joker once Batman exposed the device.

Though personally I was expecting Bats to be immune based on the insanity defense. I guess that don't want to get that dark. It was an OK episode over all. Not as good as some of the other recent ones, but still good.

buzzard

Vocenoctum

First Post
buzzard said:
No, it was the power nullifying circlet that Bats took from Joker that was keeping him immune. The whole insanity claim was just a ploy by Joker to manipulate Ace. Note how she became quite ticked at Joker once Batman exposed the device.

Though personally I was expecting Bats to be immune based on the insanity defense. I guess that don't want to get that dark. It was an OK episode over all. Not as good as some of the other recent ones, but still good.

buzzard

The circlet was what they put on her to make her docile and control her powers that way. Hence why she was mad that he had it. She figured out he was going to use it on her when he was done with her.
The helmets that kept them from being affected by her powers were actually helmet looking.

Aaron L

Hero
I was hoping that at the end, when everything looked like a loss, Batman would step up and beat down the Joker, because he was immune to the mind effects. When the League would ask him about it later, he would just look at them grimly and dissappear into the shadows. That would have been too cool for words :)

As it was, I think Joker's claim that he was immune because he was insane was just a lie, because he sure as heck got the whammy when Ace directed her gaze at him.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Aaron L said:
As it was, I think Joker's claim that he was immune because he was insane was just a lie, because he sure as heck got the whammy when Ace directed her gaze at him.

Or at least he was simply smart enough to avoid her gaze. It's also possible that she excluded him on purpose since she trusted him, until he revealed the circlet.

takyris

First Post
Lemme just chip in that Hawkgirl is hot. And about ten times cooler than Wonder Woman -- at least, this show's version of her. In the first season, I always thought that Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl had sorta gotten their personality write-ups mixed up somehow, since Hawkgirl was acting the way I thought Wonder Woman should act. This season, I'm at least used to the new takes on each, and I'm likin' it a bunch.

Although, as the user with a kid posted awhile back, this season is pushing the envelope a bit in terms of what's allowable. They had a dead body in the other ep that was on this week -- and the only reason it was legal was because it was just the arm falling out from the sheet limply.

Not saying that I dislike it, but AM saying that kids under, say, 12 no longer seem to be the audience they're aiming at. As a person over 12, I like it, but I hope it doesn't start taking heat as a "kid's show that's too violent and dark", because I don't think it's a kid's show at all anymore.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads