Justice League: So, who's seen the Snyder Cut?

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I have seen both a cut that brings it back to 2 movies, and even a cut that brings it down to 1 movie. The first focuses mostly on cutting out all the unnecessary cameos. So everything with Legolas and Gandalf, except for the scenes where Gandalf is actually in the book.

The other cut is even more harsh. It keeps most of the shire stuff and the songs, but it gets Bilbo on the road to adventure much quicker. Lake Town is cut down dramatically, with the side characters removed. It does keep Bard and his family. But the Master of Laketown and his annoying sidekick are gone almost entirely (Sorry Stephen Fry, you only get a brief cameo and thats it). Also, no Tauriel (Sorry Evangeline Lilly).

What I found interesting, was how the editor of this last version tried to bring the focus of the movie back on Bilbo. It wasn't just a matter of cutting down the movie to make it shorter, but also to improve the story telling. It should be Bilbo's story, but early into Battle of the Five Armies it seems Bilbo disappears from the movie almost entirely.

If you're interested in this version, and/or want to hear the editor's thoughts on the editing, he has a video on it:

Thank you!

Stalker0

Legend
That’s always been a problem with the JLA. The comics and stuff get around it by making him the planner and the detective (and the rich one who provides the gear). In this, he is those things (though it being a superhero movie the plan isn’t exactly Oceans 11). But yeah in the action sequences the others are fighting the likes of Steppenwolf while he handles mooks.

So he has an important narrative role in the story, but not so much the big fights.
I think in Synders cut they promoted cyborg at the expense of Batman, because some of the planning and detective work gets shifted to Cyborg.

they also cut some of Batman’s “mentoring” moments. Example: In the Joss cut, an inexperienced Flash has an understandable freak out in his first real fight. Batman calms him down, and tells him “just save one”. And of course once Flash does that he gets in the rhythm and goes to work. Synders cut removes those elements, which removes another niche for Batman.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
It'd be nice to see a list of things in Whedon's cut that aren't in Snyder's, or vice versa. I'm sure someone is working on that even as I type this.

Stalker0

Legend
I think in Synders cut they promoted cyborg at the expense of Batman, because some of the planning and detective work gets shifted to Cyborg.

they also cut some of Batman’s “mentoring” moments. Example: In the Joss cut, an inexperienced Flash has an understandable freak out in his first real fight. Batman calms him down, and tells him “just save one”. And of course once Flash does that he gets in the rhythm and goes to work. Synders cut removes those elements, which removes another niche for Batman.
Honestly, one of the most interesting things they could have done with Batman is watching him "step down". Basically pull an Alfred, and realize that in this battle of gods he has absolutely no place on the battlefield. And instead he returns to the batcave and calls the plays while the rest of the league executes.

It would be a controversial take of course, people want Batman to be BATMAN, but considering this is the "20 year gnarled veteran Batman", its a valid way to go.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, the editor is a relatively little known factor by the public but really important aspect of movie making. It can really make a movie great (Star Wars) or it can make a movie notoriously bad (Manos: The Hands of Fate - if you haven't seen this, its editing and pacing are soooooooo bad).
Literally nobody needs to see "Manos: Hands of Fate." It's absolutely horrible in a barely describable way. If you must, watch the MST3K show they did for it. Or just watch the film whose title was inspired by it (damned film students) "The Gamers: Hands of Fate."

Sacrosanct

Legend
Finally saw it. I find a good indicator on whether or not how much I enjoy a movie is by how fast time goes by when I'm watching. For a four hour movie, time went by pretty fast. Which stands to theory, as I enjoyed it much better than the first version.

So,waht are we talking about here? Editing movies? Synder's version of JL, folking just wanting to actually talk about talking?

I think all of the above.

But I wonder if people will create their own cut of the Snyder cut, like they did with The Hobbit. Surely someone will be up to the task of making the Snyder cut shorter than 4 hours. Perhaps some scenes from Josh Whedon's cut will be reinserted?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I think all of the above.

But I wonder if people will create their own cut of the Snyder cut, like they did with The Hobbit. Surely someone will be up to the task of making the Snyder cut shorter than 4 hours. Perhaps some scenes from Josh Whedon's cut will be reinserted?
This is pretty much inevitable, and I look forward to this kind of "ultimate cut". I think you could get a pretty tight 2:45 movie out of all this.

BTW, Flash realizing Superman can track him visually is still the best moment in either version of this movie! :love:

Also: I really love the visuals for Flash running (in both versions). I could do with a bit less time spent at slow-mo, but it's so graceful and dancer-like, practically not even running at all - more like skating or sliding - and how his arms aren't rigid and pumping but kind of "soft" and flowing. It's all a pretty cool re-imagining of how to portray it.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah I personally think an insertion of about 30 minutes of the new material, and a few of the synder scenes swapped back to the Joss verions....would really give us the best of both worlds.

Remove ads