Justice League: So, who's seen the Snyder Cut?

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I think all of the above.

But I wonder if people will create their own cut of the Snyder cut, like they did with The Hobbit. Surely someone will be up to the task of making the Snyder cut shorter than 4 hours. Perhaps some scenes from Josh Whedon's cut will be reinserted?
I am sure it is happening as we speak, Imaculata!

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
This is pretty much inevitable, and I look forward to this kind of "ultimate cut". I think you could get a pretty tight 2:45 movie out of all this.

BTW, Flash realizing Superman can track him visually is still the best moment in either version of this movie! :love:

Also: I really love the visuals for Flash running (in both versions). I could do with a bit less time spent at slow-mo, but it's so graceful and dancer-like, practically not even running at all - more like skating or sliding - and how his arms aren't rigid and pumping but kind of "soft" and flowing. It's all a pretty cool re-imagining of how to portray it.
I agree. It looks (and works) terrifically.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Yeah, the editor is a relatively little known factor by the public but really important aspect of movie making. It can really make a movie great (Star Wars) or it can make a movie notoriously bad (Manos: The Hands of Fate - if you haven't seen this, its editing and pacing are soooooooo bad).
Manos: The Hand of Fate is not a good example here, as just about everything about it was bad. You want to find a film that has the potential to be good, but the poor editing drags it down. Editing might be the least of Manos' sins...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I think in Synders cut they promoted cyborg at the expense of Batman, because some of the planning and detective work gets shifted to Cyborg.

they also cut some of Batman’s “mentoring” moments. Example: In the Joss cut, an inexperienced Flash has an understandable freak out in his first real fight. Batman calms him down, and tells him “just save one”. And of course once Flash does that he gets in the rhythm and goes to work. Synders cut removes those elements, which removes another niche for Batman.

Yes! that was one of the most glaring differences to me and one of the two scenes I think Whedon did better
1 Cyborgs introduction gradually learning his powers instead of taperecorder exposition dump (which I mentioned earlier) AND
2 “the just save one” scene. The Whedon scene both showed The Flash’s iconic save the crowd motif and that as a hero Batman is High Wisdom, physically he cant compete with Supes or WW, and he doesnt have the knowledge of Cyborg but He does have Wisdom, Planning, Tactics and Will to achieve what he needs to do.
The saddest scene in Snyders cut was Cyborg slowly carrying the scientist out and the Flash being largely irrelevant to it

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
In the topic of only saying positive things... my wife and I discuss this often. If a product is bad, and no one says so, others will buy it....I don't think saying you don't like something is wrong, I think you just have to say it in a helpful way.

As for the hobbit movies, they made me sad. I don't know if I'll ever see this movie.....

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Manos: The Hand of Fate is not a good example here, as just about everything about it was bad. You want to find a film that has the potential to be good, but the poor editing drags it down. Editing might be the least of Manos' sins...
On that, I disagree. The pacing of Manos is a master study in how bad editing can be.

There are bad films, where with the right editing a good movie can be found underneath. As word has it, the first cut of Star Wars was pretty terrible. But some solid editing can fix a lot... but not everything. A terrible movie will remain a terrible movie, no matter how good the editing.

Could Manos be a good movie with some good editing?

I haven't seen Manos the Hand of Fate, but I have seen Tommy Wiseau's The Room. The Room has plenty of filler that could be cut to make the movie better. But then you're left with a movie that is shorter than it already is, and there's no cutting around the bad acting and Tommy's terrible accent.

Justice League arguably had the potential to be good. Jack Snyder's style of storytelling and directing may not be to everyone's liking, but it didn't need to be as bad as it was when released in theaters. However in the case of Justice League, it wasn't just a matter of editing; the movie was left unfinished, and the studio hastily shot new footage to get it done.

It is unheard of for a director to be given the freedom to re-edit and reshoot a movie that had already been released, and then make it 4 hours long. Just think of all the work that is being thrown away in the process of making this new version. The actors are probably glad to see Snyder's original vision restored (since Justice League was critically panned by critics and viewers), but I would not be surprised if they had mixed feelings about a lot of their hard work now ending up on the cutting room floor. Not to mention the hard work of CGI artists being thrown away. That is a lot of money being burned.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases