Justin LaNasa shares his opinion of EN World

nedjer

Adventurer
Either EN World is a many-tentacled behemoth focused on syndicating corporate propaganda or I smell the whiff of manufactured grievance. Manufactured grievance does not go in search of solutions, as that wouldn't generate the kickback required to further fuel the manufacturing process. No chum, no sharks.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
He's in videos. Unless they have access to some really good tech, I don't think they can fake that!
I think you'd be wrong there.

If the conspiracy theories are to be believed, and all conspiracy theories exist to be believed (but not proven), then Brett Goldstein from "Ted Lasso" is not a real person and Roy Kent is, in fact, a CGI character.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think you'd be wrong there.

If the conspiracy theories are to be believed, and all conspiracy theories exist to be believed (but not proven), then Brett Goldstein from "Ted Lasso" is not a real person and Roy Kent is, in fact, a CGI character.
Is that a thing?

#loveTedLasso

pantsorama

Explorer
So, I watched/listened to it. Interesting. Actually, their collective point that role-playing games are games, so do what is fun for you and your friends at your table is welcome. I might editorialize that it is a bit obvious and I do not hear anyone from Wizards of the Coast not making anything but that argument. Jeremy Crawford's mantra is, after all "follow your bliss" (I just realized Crawford has the same initials as Joseph Campbell from whom he has adapted that statement: JC). So, it seems to me to be a little bit of making an obvious point, but maybe there is something that they are arguing against of which I am unaware.

I might say the same for the point between the difference between a player and a character. I do not understand what they are speaking against. Around the 1:17 remark, one of the speakers (the one on the left with the goatee) goes into detail about how the character might knife somebody between the ribs, but the player is not doing that. That distinction seems like role-playing 101 to me. I think I might be out-of-touch from the demographic with whom they are attempting to have a conversation. Interesting that at around 1:18:30, Justin LaNasa (if that is the person in the middle) then seems to contradict this point by (if I am following correctly) saying that he was ruing that he was not able to kill another player's character at GaryCon because of his feelings about the player. I may have not followed that conversation strand correctly.

Anyway, as to the fundamental point that Justin LaNasa is making when he mentions EN World (isn't it pronounced N World and not "E-N World"?), it is hard to disagree with it. It is always good to contact the original maker of a statement if there is any question about what might be meant or what might be the purpose of the statement. Hard to argue with that.

Finally, I do not understand the objection to using the term "session" to refer to gaming sessions. I have been playing D&D since 1980 (granted, I was very young then), and I seem to recall us using "session" in the late 1980s and 1990s. I didn't realize there was some kind of objection to the term, which seems perfectly adequate to describe, well, a D&D or role-playing game session.

Justin LaNasa's description of Lake Geneva awakened within me a desire to go there and visit. I went to GenCon three times when it was in Milwaukie in the early 1990s, but I never visited Lake Geneva. That might be fun to take my daughter there some time next time I am in the Midwest.

Cheers everyone!
This is a classic rhetorical tactic know as Strawman(ing). In this version LaNasa is not outright stating WotC argument so much as he is inferring it. First he states something most people agree on, then states that he is so very opposed to WotC, and voila, he has falsely put WotC in opposition to something widely agreed upon - and that in fact WotC has never opposed.

Don't fall for it.

Last edited:

FormerLurker

Adventurer
I was hoping for something more exciting. But he does call EN World a “very big company”, which is funny. I might put that quote in the site header.

“A very big company” - Justin LaNasa, TSR 9.651(c)
In fairness, you have a Kickstarter that was a hair less than a million dollars—more than any Kickstarter by Nord Games, Kobold Press, or Green Ronin—making EN World probably one of the top twenty-five RPG publishers in the industry and one of the top ten most successful 5e 3rd Party Publishers.
At 6,000+ backers, that'd be an Adamantine seller on DriveThru, and only 0.12% of products that mark (136 titles).

In terms of the industry, EN World Publishing is a very big company.

qstor

Adventurer

Yes.

That said, I pronounce it "N-world" because I'm difficult. Or lazy.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.
I say E-N-World? I've been here since around 2003?

qstor

Adventurer
I was hoping for something more exciting. But he does call EN World a “very big company”, which is funny. I might put that quote in the site header.

“A very big company” - Justin LaNasa, TSR 9.651(c)
Wait! He might sue you for using his own words! :)

Remove ads