• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Kara Tur vs Tarkir vs Kamigawa vs Plane of Mountains and Seas vs Ikoria

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This "distorted mirror image of the real world" idea is nothing bad. It's simply another valid choice, mid-way between a completely original fantasy world (usually a noble design choice, but often difficult to pull if completely detached from established fantasy tropes), and having the REAL WORLD itself be the setting before adding a single supernatural twist (which is what 99% of supernatural-themed (not sci-fi) movies choose to do by the way).

From some people, I have received negative feedback about my world. Mainly, because like the FR, I use real world analogues (NOT CLONES).

I found during my worlds formative years (bouncing around in the military) that being able to form a group and say (to 50% of the time new players) "this is like a Roman kingdom, except..." was the best and quickest way to immerse them.

Over the years, there has been enough depth and variation added that although I can use the short cuts (brutemen are like Klingons), that I am quite content with its setup.

I still occasionally get sneered at to an extent, however that is mainly from folks who run across the website.

By the way... Alfaysia

The talk about orientalism re: good/bad made me think of the origin of the worlds name...Alfaysia.

Alfar + Asia. Because the main area is modeled by an empire that was a cross between Middle Eastern, Turks, Mongols and Asia. Trite, but as described above, it works.

Is it this one?

It's far from toxic, and one of the contributors seems more concerned about sexualisation in the 3rd edition book, which is not a setting-specific issue.

The depiction of one culture by another is often laughably wrong, as in the depiction of British characters on US TV, or American characters on British TV. But just how funny you find it depends on how much racism you have been the victim of. So, what might be laughable to a WASP can be very hurtful to someone of Asian origin living in the Occident.

Aldarc

Legend
It's also just the introductory video, and it really only covers the first 10 pages in the episode. Some of the problems discussed in this first video are, indeed, are wider criticisms of the assumptions (e.g., Comeliness, etc.).

Immortal_Dowager-Ginger

Deposed Empress
It's better and it's part of the Forgotten Realms.
Also Kara-Tur features a Spelljammer fleet so one hand would wash the other. But I would like at least to see 5e 'version updates' that simply keep a placeholder the settings and convert them to mechanics changes since t heir last update

But I would like at least to see 5e 'version updates' that simply keep a placeholder the settings and convert them to mechanics changes since t heir last update

We're six years in to 5E and that has happened to precisely one setting - Eberron. I mean you can argue SCAG, but it's not really even as extensive as Forgotten Realms Adventures for 1E-2E, let alone more recent FR books.

So I think you should probably give up on that dream.

Also what in Kara Tur even needs 5E stats?

gyor

Legend
It was a sufficient answer for what your thread warranted.

So the answer to my earlier question is that you would ignore what Asian people would say when they talk about the cringeyness of Kara-Tur and OA? I'm glad we cleared that up.

I think that you are focusing on one element and overlooking the combination of elements that are symptomatic of orientalism. They have more than one video, including ones that go over the races and classes.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Asian people don't speak with one voice, they aren't the borg, and I was referring ignoring people on twitter, not Asians.

gyor

Legend
We're six years in to 5E and that has happened to precisely one setting - Eberron. I mean you can argue SCAG, but it's not really even as extensive as Forgotten Realms Adventures for 1E-2E, let alone more recent FR books.

So I think you should probably give up on that dream.

Also what in Kara Tur even needs 5E stats?

Never! That's quieter talk.

For mechanics, races like Spiritfolk, Hengyokai, ect..., some subraces like Wu Jen School for Wizards, ect..., maybe a Shugenja class.

gyor

Legend
Anti-inclusive content
The commentators in question weren't the Tweeters, just the conversation that brought them to attention. Their complaints echo what I've heard other people say: the material is super cringey.

You and folks like you think everything is cringey.

Anyways the time jump and sundering and spellplague gives an opening to fix the setting up and polishing it. They are hiring cultural consultants, perhaps even writers some of whom are likely to be Asian, so that should resolve that issue, enough to get the Wokefolks seal of approval.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads