D&D 5E Keith Baker: Exploring Eberron

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

1574272975183.png

Keith sent Sly Flourish a PDF copy of the book, which Sly flipped through

Also, check out the KB Presents Twitter for past previews

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I agree with ChaosOS -- that Vadalis is more likely to tweak things that already exists than to make something entirely new. I also feel that they primarily work with beasts, or with monstrosities that are themselves variations of beasts (griffons, hippogriffs, owlbears). So if someone wanted to have a winged cat as a Vadalis creation I might allow it; but I don't see Vadalis making tiny beholders.
Makes sense.

Tiny beholders would be super weird, but miniature displaced beasts...😍

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Speaking of putting spectral tentacles on a cat, how free are you (and any other Eberron DMs in the thread) with creating weird new creatures for players to have as Vadalis magebred pets?
I break it down into two groupings. Magebred animals that range from designer pets to gmo cow/horse/guard dog type stuff at one end that most anyone could probably get given funds & such is the first grouping. The second grouping is War Beasts/Animals... These range from horrid beasts/owlbears/winterwolves/etc to a lot of the beast-like creatures (frankly that's most of them) in this. They are almost exclusively found roaming the wilderness or terrorizing villages after being left as landmine type obstacles during the Last War or being prepared for the Next War. The permits, care needs, etc required for many of those War Beasts are well beyond what a player could gain since Vadalis is not keen on selling the beasts meant for dropping on areas in need of depopulating in the next war to private actors (not to mention it being horribly broken if they did).

On the topic of "Exploring Eberron", has their ever been much published about the oceans? Is the deep ocean part of Khyber? Are krakens and aboleths daelkyr creatures?

doctorbadwolf

I break it down into two groupings. Magebred animals that range from designer pets to gmo cow/horse/guard dog type stuff at one end that most anyone could probably get given funds & such is the first grouping. The second grouping is War Beasts/Animals... These range from horrid beasts/owlbears/winterwolves/etc to a lot of the beast-like creatures (frankly that's most of them) in this. They are almost exclusively found roaming the wilderness or terrorizing villages after being left as landmine type obstacles during the Last War or being prepared for the Next War. The permits, care needs, etc required for many of those War Beasts are well beyond what a player could gain since Vadalis is not keen on selling the beasts meant for dropping on areas in need of depopulating in the next war to private actors (not to mention it being horribly broken if they did).
I’ve no issue with players getting something like an owlbear as a reward, tbh. I just compare it to a magic item in order to determine what impact it will have on the game.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I’ve no issue with players getting something like an owlbear as a reward, tbh. I just compare it to a magic item in order to determine what impact it will have on the game.
I don't so much have an issue with it, just 5e is so different from 3.5 & it doesn't mesh too well with the mechanics IME. Maybe once the artificer/UA ranger/druid pet stuff is a little more settled just not yet,

doctorbadwolf

I don't so much have an issue with it, just 5e is so different from 3.5 & it doesn't mesh too well with the mechanics IME. Maybe once the artificer/UA ranger/druid pet stuff is a little more settled just not yet,
Idk about the 3.5 stuff. I’d just work out basic 5e stats using the MM and DMG guidelines.

But I do think the Artificer style stats could work if you want to, say, have a magical connection to the pet.

ChaosOS

Legend
Hi Keith! Question about the planes writ large - are the Talenta Plains and Eldeen Reaches actually more plane-touched or is that just authors writing more about manifest zones when there aren't cities to discuss. If they are, how does that compare to Sarlona, which per SoS is extra sensitive to the planes.

Remove ads

Remove ads