Killing the sense of wonder

Heathen72

Explorer
In a way, I am asking the same question as this thread but inquiring paradoxically - i.e, studying what we do badly in order to do better.

So... What kills the sense of wonder in your games?
The GM? The Players? The ruleset? The lawnmower outside the window?

Some examples of things that have destroyed the sense of wonder in games I have played in:

• The GM just using a monsters name the players meet, instead of describing it, because he know the players have all read the monster manual
  • The players describing the unsettling way a possessed child has just crawled across the ceiling as "Spiderclimb"
  • The players watching the TV instead of the GM
  • The players munching on popcorn all the way through a description of bloodcurdling horror before saying "What's so scary about that?"
  • Someone killing the moment with a poorly timed joke (guilty, you honour)

What are you examples?

Oryan77

Adventurer
1. Not wearing pants to the game.

2. Dressing up as your character.

3. Putting on an annoying voice (just because you can do a scottish accent doesn't mean dwarves have a scottish accent).

4. Giving a PC or pet a silly name that doesn't really fit with the flavor of the campaign.

5. Looting and then carrying around 15 longswords, 5 sets of full plate armor, & 10 shields only because you're strength score allows it.

6. Bending the rules in your favor and throwing logic/physics out the window (like being medium sized but wielding a gargantuan 2-handed sword due to mixing various feats and abilities).

7. Making an action that doesn't fit with the flavor of the campaign, "I use my wish spell to wish for a colossal size dead tuna to drop on the head of the BBEG!"

8. Having the PC wear clothing or a magic item that doesn't fit with the flavor of the character and would look stupid (like a full plate armored warrior with a tower shield and a closed-faced helmet, with slippers of spider climb on the feet rather than boots).

I could probably rant on and on about this subject, but I'll stop with these. :eek:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
When my brother puts on loud music in the room below us. :erm:

And I'll add a second vote to the 'badly-timed joke'. Although my group has been really, really good about not doing that for quite a while!

DrunkonDuty

he/him
... then taking its stuff.

Not wearing pants... I'm picturing most of my gaming buddies without any pants on. It aint pretty.

1. Bad descriptions.

2. Lame villains.

3. Players who wont buy into the scenario/campaign style.

Edit:mad: The Shaman. H with double magic.

Last edited:

nedjer

Adventurer
1. Not wearing pants to the game.

2. Dressing up as your character.

3. Putting on an annoying voice (just because you can do a scottish accent doesn't mean dwarves have a scottish accent).

I've only got a Scottish accent and it's considered advisable to wear kevlar chainmail around Glasgow. On the plus side, I always wear a thong to the game :eek:

Mikaze

First Post
3. Players who wont buy into the scenario/campaign style.

I'm wondering if this one may be the most critically important of the bunch. While I agree that just calling out monster names and mailing in the descriptions hurts like hell, players that don't even try to get into the game are going to short circuit any wonder you manage to build up.

But you get a player that buys in, and it feeds itself. The player carries some of the burden for the GM and fans the flames the whole while.

May be a chicken-egg situation though. Is the immersiveness failing because of the player or is the player not buying in because it's not immersive enough?

Last edited:

Melkor

Explorer
A couple of things for me and my gaming group:

• Having played D&D for 25+ years and knowing pretty much every aspect of the game thoroughly.

• Interrupting the flow of the game to set up the grid-map/tiles and miniatures.

Holy Bovine

First Post
CELL PHONES

I hatehatehatehate cell phones at the gaming table. I don't care if its texts, calls, emails or whatever when those :):):):)ing things go off (always with some lameass ring tone that makes the experience 8 times more annoying) I see red and want to smash them. Turn 'em off or mute them. We only play for 4 freaking hours a week - why is it necessary to be in constant contact with everyone? Would 4 hours without a cell phone really kill you? :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Why yes I rather don't care for cell phones.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases