• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

King Conan

Chain Lightning

First Post
jdavis wrote:
I don't think I would go that far, if they were so stupid then how come every movie is not bad. Hollywood runs on money, bad movies don't make money, thus they try make movies that people want to see, and suprisingly they suceed sometimes.Yes they fail alot but if they were not making money then they would be out of business. For what it is worth the vast majority of the decision makes are alot smarter than any of us, they do what they love and make money by the wheelbarrow load, that seems pretty slick to me.

You're right, every movie is not bad.

I just meant that most of those specifically in charge of translating our favorite video games/novels/comic books to the big screen are stupid.

That accusation of stupidity doesn't include the creative minds that write/direct/produce films outside of this arena.

And later when I said most of Hollywood lacks wisdom it is mostly directed to the big wigs that usually like to interfere with those on the creative end.

You say "Aliens" and "Resident Evil" series are not dead because they're still trying to make more. I personally still consider them dead.....the current holders of these movie properties just don't seem to acknowledge it. Okay, I initially did mean 'dead' as in not likely to see more movies from the franchise. But now I'm adding in 'dead' as in not likely to see any more QUALITY movies from the franchise. :D

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
I was just going to suggest the same thing.

Vin doesn't NEED to be bald.
Plop a wig on the man, and that might be a Conan that'd have enough 'tude to survive this shake-up in direction.

Replicant

First Post
Diesel? Hell, no.

Ranger REG said:
Think we needed a different Conan, a bald-headed version in the form of Vin Diesel.

"Mullet is muy Mal. Bald is Beautiful." :p

Has anyone here promoting Vin Diesel as the next Conan actually seen "XXX?" What an awful, wretched film. Plus, the guy just doesn't have the look. That smug, generation-x puss and those tattoos are all wrong for Conan.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Chain Lightning said:
If I had miscommunicated my intentions, then I will step forward and apologize. It was not my intent.

Fair enough. :)

Chain Lightning said:
Plus I spend most of my creative 'juices' on my own stories and game sessions that I don't have any left over that I want to contribute here.

That's a shame. I enjoy sharing ideas and reading the ones shared by others. You manage some rather long posts. I hope that'll you'll reconsider and add some more of your creativity to them.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Note that I'm a big fan of RE Howard and his version of Conan. Try not to get offended if anything I say seems strongly worded. I just want to be clear in saying what I think.

I was a fan of Robert E. Howard quite a while before Arnold's Conan hit the screens, and I remember being disappointed and more than a bit disgusted with the film. As Mark points out, the slapstick doesn't work for a film about Conan - Conan passing out drunk face-first into a bowl of gruel? Please. Conan a slave that long? Come on. Howard would spin in his grave. Arnold makes a great action hero, but really does not fit Howard's description of Conan to a "T." Howard's Conan would stand several inches taller, would be black haired, and would have a more brooding quality. He would also be a lot more limber and agile, with a cat-like grace of movement, something that Arnold just doesn't have. The Buscema/Chan Conan of the Marvel comic is a good pictorial depiction; Frazetta's Conan is the best. Would it be possible to find somebody, anybody who could fit the bill to play Conan? I really don't know. Bear in mind I'm a huge fan of Arnold, and I realize that few people on Earth would come close to what Conan was described as looking and moving like. If the film had been called "Bill the Barbarian," my reaction would have been much kinder way back when.

In recent years, I have viewed the film in a different way. I put aside the echoes of Howard's work, and view the film Conan as a different character. It is a much better film for me that way.

Personally, if such a thing was possible, I'd love to see an animated version of Conan done for the big screen, using Frazetta's paintings as a guideline for how Conan looks. A lush, brooding film, the film that Heavy Metal should have been, with better artwork and animation. Frazetta paintings that move is what I have in mind.

But, that's just me. I'm a big Howard fan from way back.

And y'know what? The Scorpion King was a fun movie. Unpretentious, lots of action, a nice pulpy story, and a really beautiful sorceress. The same kind of stuff I love when I want to read a good swords 'n' sorecery story with a pulp flavor. The Rock really is a good action movie hero - and consider that I'm not a wrestling fan. The guy irritated me until this film.

I have to say that the news at IGN doesn't bode well, though. After the debacle of King Kull, I have little hope for a film based on Howard's work that stays true to the feel of his work.

jdavis

First Post
Mark said:

It's almost like they'd read this thread and decided it was easier to make a press release than post here... ;)

Yea I read the article and It adressed most of the problems I had, I'd like to take full responsibility for them coming to their senses, you think anybody would buy that? I'm back to being hopeful for a decent movie now.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
jdavis said:
I'd like to take full responsibility for them coming to their senses, you think anybody would buy that?

I'd buy that (for a dollar! - Robocop) ;)

jdavis said:
I'm back to being hopeful for a decent movie now.

I guess most people are in agreement with you since the thread has gone deathly quiet in the wake of the eerily, spot-on press release... ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads