Knowing beforehand how many episodes it would be, what's the longest series you've gotten into?

If radio shows count, I'm currently working on Dragnet (314 episodes) and Mindwebs (188 episodes). Listening has gone down a ton since COVID has killed my car trips.

Only counting TV shows that I didn't start watching when they were still getting new episodes, the longest running TV show that I've completed would probably be Twilight Zone (156). I also watched all of Gilmore Girls a few years ago (153). I've done a bunch of anime series, but after checking, most of the shows that I remember as long commitments at the time were less episodes than I thought (~70 at most, typically less).

Like others, I've had a number of series that I gave up on. I started Smallville but petered out somewhere around season 4. My spouse and I tried to get into Breaking Bad at one point of quarantine, but gave up around season 2 or 3.

GreyLord

Legend
Well...I've watched as much of Doctor Who as is out there...from Season 1 to the latest...but that didn't really come to mind when I thought of Longest TV series. It sort of had a break in the middle as well...and I haven't seen EVERY episode (from the 1st and 2nd doctors especially).

I did see Supernatural, but never finished it.

Stargate with the connected series (SG-1, SG-Atlantis, SG-Infinity, and SG-Universe) is I think around 18 seasons...so that's pretty long.

X-Files was a total of 11 seasons...though I think it was 9 with it's initial run. I've not seen all of the final season though.

862ish episodes of Doctor Who here (counting recons), but that happened over decades, not sitting down one day and deciding to watch the whole show back to front though I know that some people do that.

Otherwise, anything much over ten episodes puts me off watching a show.

MarkB

Legend
I've never really committed to watching something - I'll like it or I'll stop watching it - so length of show doesn't bother me. But there aren't many shows I've only taken an interest in after they were all wrapped up. About the only recent one I can think of is Person of Interest, which I started watching a couple of years ago after I got an Amazon Prime subscription, and in due course did make my way through all five seasons.

This year, with the pandemic, has given me a lot of time to just sit around, so I have rewatched a few series. I have rewatched all of Sliders, Andromeda, Dead Like Me, and most of Highlander. I just started rewatching The Dead Zone and am only in season two so far. I also watched the three Librarian movies, but can't rewatch The Librarians series because it is not streaming anywhere right now where it does not cost money per episode to watch. Whenever Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. gets added to Disney+, I will binge watch that, as I only saw the first couple of seasons when it was originally broadcast. And I will eventually get caught up on Once Upon a Time, as I have only seen the first couple of seasons of that as well.

I definitely shy away from shows which are like 10+ seasons in. Never seen Supernatural for that very reason. And all the Star Wars animated stuff (not that I get on well with cartoons anyway, but even if I did, the sheer volume of it would put me off).

I don't know why. If I find I like it, I should be pleased I have a ton of it to watch. But for some reason it just doesn't work that way for me.

If you can get past it being animated, Star Wars: Rebels is only three seasons long. I have never watched Clone Wars, and I feel I get along just fine in the Star Wars universe without it. I can just read up on the important stuff that happened in the handful of episodes that mattered. lol

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Days of Our Lives... (look it up, I implore you 😂)

Joking aside, I tend to watch all Star Trek on repeat, TOS>TNG>DS9>VOY>ENT, when I get to the end I start from the beginning again. It’s my go to comfort series if I want to watch something but am not ready for something new 😂

Game of Thrones was one series I decided not to watch until it was all out.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Doctor Who would have been the longest, having watched everything I could from troughton to Tennant - I started to sleep after that.

I didnt start watching Game of Thrones till about Season 5 and then binge watched those seasons in a couple of weeks to catch up.

The Turkish series Etrugral is another I came to late, and have started to binge its around 5 seasons 150 odd episodes and subtitled, indicating an additional level of commitment :)

with the advent of Streaming and more spare time, binge watching shows means that their length is no longer a major issue.

Maybe.. Critical Role.. few episodes behind at the moment, and it was newish when I started, but 4-6 hours of content per episode and like what 200 something episodes.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
American version of The Office.

Original version (British) of Top Gear.

Seen every episode of each, with most being enjoyable if not hilarious at times.

Remove ads