D&D 5E Kobold Press (and are they the new Paizo?)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Big fan of Kobold Press especially the Monster Books. I do not need more monsters. I have too many monster books. But gosh are their Kickstarted monster books awesome. I go all in and get the book, the tokens, and the lair books. Even though I don't need more monsters these books inspire me to find reasons to work them into my campaigns. I will often replace a monster from a published WotC or Frog God Games books with a Kobold Press monster to keep my players on their toes and bring in some different flavor.

The quality of the writing and editing are as good as WotC's and much better than most TTRPG publishers. I remember listing to an interview with Wolfgang Baur and KP's editor (forgot her name) and it was obvious how much Wolfgang cares about the quality of his product. The monsters are all play tested and while they can often be more deadly than similar CR WotC monsters, I've found them to be balanced and well thought out and tested. As another poster above has written, they do a good job at staying true to 5e mechanics but working in little twists that don't feel like shoehorned in.

The quality of the book materials are good, but the paper if matte and not glossy like WotC and Frog God Games books. I actually find them more pleasant to read because of it but they seem less durable. Certainly easier to rip and stain pages. But the binding is good and I have yet to have one of my KP books fall apart on me, which I cannot say for my WotC books.

They also make cardboard 2d minis (that you stand up in slotted mini bases) for all the monsters in their monster books. When I was running games in person, I got a lot of use out of them. I really wish WotC would ofter a similar product. It is nice having a mini for every monster in the book at a reasonable price. They may be 2d but they are thick sturdy cardboard with nice printed color art.

The lair books are fun and do a good job highlighting various monsters. Also, the images in the PDF are all size appropriately so that it is easy to print them at 1"=5' scale or to use them in a VTT. That is not always, or even often, the case with WotC or Frog God Games maps.

As for the Mid Guard setting I bought the RealmWorks version of it, but never really got around to using it. Also, I've never been interested in buying more character options. So my experience with KP is really all about the monsters and lair books, both of which I heartedly recommend.

Zardnaar

Legend
So, Midgaard question........really a question about most worlds........how do the other nations not just over run by the dragon empire or the ghouls? (ya, ya, I should have backed empire of ghouls)......

The Empire has enemies on all fronts and is perhaps over extended.

If they advanced into Nuria Natal they also get away from their own leylines and closer to the Nuria which is a titanic leyline.

Last edited:

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
The Empire has enemies on all fronts and is perhaps over extended.

If they advanced into Nuria Natal they also get away from their own leylines and closer to the Nuria which is a titanic leyline.

Nuria Natal is also the second most powerful empire in the setting... the Sultanate would have to bring all their legions to bear to even have a chance of defeating them. And that would leave all their other fronts defenseless, so it's not happening.

Even taking the Magdar Kingdom or an alliance between the Septime City-States would probably take at least three or four entire legions... and getting the dragon generals to cooperate that well and for that long would be difficult even for the Sultan himself (but very, very possible). Yet conquring either one would be extremely costly - and invite a potentially devastating reprisal by Morgau and their Darakhul allies, who would love such an opportunity to break the Sultanate's spearpoint and send them running back to their peninsula.

(In fact, there's a good chance this may happen in a future game or campaign of mine... a "Battle of Zobeck" as the new "walls of Vienna", where the allied forces of Zobeck, the Ironcrags, the remaining Magdar and Perunalish forces, Dornig, Allain and Morgau stand against the Dragon legions.... :) )

Zardnaar

Legend
Nuria Natal is also the second most powerful empire in the setting... the Sultanate would have to bring all their legions to bear to even have a chance of defeating them. And that would leave all their other fronts defenseless, so it's not happening.

Even taking the Magdar Kingdom or an alliance between the Septime City-States would probably take at least three or four entire legions... and getting the dragon generals to cooperate that well and for that long would be difficult even for the Sultan himself (but very, very possible). Yet conquring either one would be extremely costly - and invite a potentially devastating reprisal by Morgau and their Darakhul allies, who would love such an opportunity to break the Sultanate's spearpoint and send them running back to their peninsula.

(In fact, there's a good chance this may happen in a future game or campaign of mine... a "Battle of Zobeck" as the new "walls of Vienna", where the allied forces of Zobeck, the Ironcrags, the remaining Magdar and Perunalish forces, Dornig, Allain and Morgau stand against the Dragon legions.... :) )

Zobecks a lot weaker than Austria;).

The Dragon Empire has Nuria Natal and the east. There's not a lot in the west comparatively.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I saw people mentioning the potential of a Brilliant East book, so thought I should share this. It's listed as a pre-order, but I'm not familiar with this website so have no idea whether it's authentic.

1602692677753.png

Yeah, that was the cover art Kobold teased on their twitter a while ago. I suspect it's reasonably well advanced, apparently it's been worked on for a couple of years now, and there was another very Brilliant-East-esque piece of art in one of their recent newsletters. Zero official word from them about possible release dates etc though.

Tome of Beasts II hardcover just arrived in the mail today... and it is spectacular! A nice balance of new creatures across all monster types, a meaty wildlife section at the back with find familiar suggestions, and the expected fun artwork. Can't wait to unleash some of these nasties on my unsuspecting players!

PDF has not been released yet (expecting an email for that tomorrow). And it looks like it is not quite available yet on the Kobold Store for those that didn't jump in at the Kickstarter.

Remove ads