D&D 5E Kobold Press (and are they the new Paizo?)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I really wanted to back Southlands. I know I'd love it. But, I own 100x more stuff than I can ever use......and my RPG money is going to small, indie, types this year.....unless WotC does a book I need. I mean, I am unemployed......and making about 1/6th what I did before now that I'm day trading....

I own Tome of Beasts, Tome of Beasts II, Creature Codex, and Deep Magic.

The monster books are really good. Art and design is great and the monsters are much more varied in abilities, rather than just being different sacks of hit points and damage with minor flavor differences, which I feel most of the monsters from Monster Manual and the other WotC monster books are. But what I like the most is that the monsters are more challenging than the official books, these monsters actually challenge the players. And then there are all the pawns for the books :)

Deep Magic, however, didn't impress me. The spells don't feel balanced (often weak compared to spell level) and some feel downright pointless. The wording in a lot of them is a bit off the mark.
There is an 8th-level spell that causes creatures with darkvision to be blinded and stunned for 1 round, creatures without darkvision can save vs. Con or be blinded. It affects all creatures that can see the caster, even if they're wearing a blindfold...
There's also a weaker version of Feign Death called Heartstop, which I don't really see the point in having, as Feign Death is only a 3rd-level spell and can be cast as a ritual on top, which the other spell can't.

But still, their monster books are incredible.
Agree completely. Love Kobold Press but Deep Magic felt a little uninspired.

I feel KP shines with their monster books, all three are amazing, world book and world development and their adventures which I think are fantactic. Empire of Ghouls and Courts of the Shadow Fey are great. My group‘s favorite adventure of all time, for any edition, is Courts of the Shadow Fey.

Where I find KP a little weak is with Deep Magic and their subclasses in general. My group finds that many of their subclasses are great thematically but weaker in general than many of the WoTC subclasses.

kevbeck45

Explorer
Addendum: I've used tons of creatures from the Tomb of Beasts and Creature Codex (and one was my submission from the KS!) and I love them. They are a little wonky but that is what makes the game fresh again. I'd love to see more of Matt Colville's ideas in monster manuals as he's the only one other than Kobold Press that is moving 5E monster design forward (that I'm aware of and like).

I have run several of their modules (unusual amounts of TPK issues as written); and am playing in Tales from the Margreve. They aren't everyone's cup of tea; more difficult for sure and bursty in challenge. You have been warned! Run them right and your party won't forget.
If you haven't heard Colville is planning on releasing a Monster Manual sometime in 2021.

sus323

Explorer
Southlands 5e kickstarter closed at $265,726, something over 530% funding. Blows all of the previous Kobold kickstarters out of the water, they must be pretty rapt with that.

Hoping the success of this setting book means that they push Brilliant East up on the schedule...
You and me both! :)

sus323

Explorer
Southlands 5e kickstarter closed at $265,726, something over 530% funding. Blows all of the previous Kobold kickstarters out of the water, they must be pretty rapt with that.

Hoping the success of this setting book means that they push Brilliant East up on the schedule...

Me too! Asian settings are a trifle problematic right now so we'll see.

Remove ads