D&D 5E [Kobold Press] Book of Ebon Tides: 5th Edition enters the Plane of Shadow!

Marc Radle

Legend
Ebon Tides Hero image.jpg

5th Edition enters the Plane of Shadow!

A realm just beyond the mortal world—seize magical power, play new heroes, and bring the secrets of the shadows into the light!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...he-plane-of-shadows?ref=e2bbsa&token=8048a244

The Plane of Shadow exists beside the mortal world, one step beyond the veil—and your heroes can enter this otherworldly realm of fey shadows, undead horrors, and wild adventure!

The Book of Ebon Tides provides a complete guide to the people, places, heroes, magic, and monsters of the Plane of Shadow, a land where fey magic, illusion, and trickery are as potent as steel.

From shadow goblins to ghouls, from elves to bearfolk, this is a world of mystery and enchantment. On the muddy black riverbanks and along alleys paved with bone, new heroes wander in the light of the moon, summon lunar devils, and battle in crumbling castles.

Come explore a shadow world next door to every other, just one step down the shadow road. . . .

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I'm going to give the same feedback I've given in almost all of Kobold Press' kickstarters in the past two years.

By reading the kickstarter page, I know I how many pages the books have, I know the general theme, I know that there's character options, and monsters. But I have no idea what the actual content is. There's no preview, there's no table of content. What are the options available? What's a Light Weaver Sorcerer? What's an example of a monster included in the book?

The books are often to my liking, but I have to wait for them to be out for several weeks and be thoroughly reviews before I have any idea as to what the content is. I can't back a product I know so little about.

Last edited:

HammerMan

Legend
I'm going to give the same feedback I've given in almost all of Kobold Press' kickstarters in the past two years.

By reading the kickstarter page, I know I how many pages the books have, I know the general theme, I know that there's character options, and monsters. But I have no idea what the actual content is. There's no preview, there's no table of content. What are the options available? What's a Light Weaver Sorcerer? What's an example of a monster included in the book?

The books are often to my liking, but I have to wait for them to be out for several weeks and be thoroughly reviews before I have any idea as to what the content is. I can't back a product I know so little about.
this comes from companies useing Kickstarter more as a preorder system... it was supposed to kick start small start up things that would need to list and show those things. However Kobold can coast on name and just advertise and pre order so they are not showing that kind of stuff.

It has annoyed me, but I am starting to just think of it as just a pre order for the big companies, and some of them are selling on reputation alone.

this comes from companies useing Kickstarter more as a preorder system... it was supposed to kick start small start up things that would need to list and show those things. However Kobold can coast on name and just advertise and pre order so they are not showing that kind of stuff.

It has annoyed me, but I am starting to just think of it as just a pre order for the big companies, and some of them are selling on reputation alone.
Kickstarter has allowed many companies to vastly improve the quality of their products since they have a little more certainty regarding minimum orders and things like that. Recall all the very average 3PP during 3rd edition. Some level of certainty is extra important with the current situation with raw materials and shipping/freight.

HammerMan

Legend
Kickstarter has allowed many companies to vastly improve the quality of their products since they have a little more certainty regarding minimum orders and things like that. Recall all the very average 3PP during 3rd edition. Some level of certainty is extra important with the current situation with raw materials and shipping/freight.
okay, still using a service meant to kick start new innovations as a preorder system.

They could throw up the same ads, and open pre order on there website.

Marc Radle

Legend
100 Funded.jpg

Funded in Under 3 Hours!

Once again, our fantastic and loyal fans have overwhelmed us with your enthusiasm. Hitting our funding goal so quickly, with so many jumping on board first thing, tells us we must be doing something right. It’s great to know our efforts to deliver the highest-quality products we can, working to enhance your gaming experience, are noticed and appreciated.

Now we Kobolds settle in to watch and cheer as the project rolls full steam ahead toward some exciting stretch goals. Over the next 30 days, with your help, we can add additional maps, spells, monsters, and more! Keep checking in to see the progress.

If you haven’t backed the project yet, we hope you will, but either way, thanks so much for your interest. And if you have, please consider sharing, liking, and retweeting the announcement of the launch with your friends, players, and followers. It’s invaluable support.

Marc Radle

Legend
So is the 'Queen' in the trailer and the "Mother of Sorrows" patron meant to be the Raven Queen with the serial numbers filed off?

Hey there!
No, the Queen in the trailer is not the Raven Queen, and the Mother of Sorrows is also not the Raven Queen

HammerMan

Legend
If that is your understanding i would encourage you to seek more information.
okay, so they can't run ads and pre orders on there own site?

I did not know that the company lacked that ability, that is news to me

edit wait... maybe you meant I had wrong information on weather Kickstarter was originally meant for small things that could not bank on there name and reputation, if so I think you should look into more information.

having said that as I said in my OP I have lon since given up on hoping companies will stop...I just stopped supporting any kickstarter with an established company, at this rate I expect WoTC to kick start the 50th anneversary, and Nintendo to kickstart it's next counsel.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases