D&D General Kobold Press Going Down a Dark Road

mamba

Legend
It is a relevant difference. It’s a massive difference and mocking that difference is asinine
nah, it’s a difference of opinion. It is a minimal, inconsequential change

players who will call you a bad DM and drag you on social media and other places for not “using all the rules”
you already have feats, so I guess yet again nothing changes here

It was a needless change. 100% unnecessary except to sell books. Done. End of story.
I agree that there is not much need for it, because it changes nothing to begin with

I do not even like it, I prefer feats to be optional. I just see zero practical difference, so literally do not care, at all

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
The whole point of OneD&D - the reason they are calling the play-test *One*D&D - is that WotC recognizes the damage the misuse of editions, and of the word "edition," has caused to their brand. That's why, moving forward, they are so emphatically rejecting the word "edition" and just calling the game D&D.

TSR invented the notion of the edition as a new, must-have version of the game because they didn't want to pay royalties to Dave Arneson (look it up). Edit: They fought a lawsuit trying to prove that it was, in fact, a whole new game. Then Lorraine Williams was staring bankruptcy right in the face, so repeated the same tactic with 2e. And so on. WotC doesn't want to do that anymore. They can see how it fractures their brand and player base.

And they can see how it has enabled 3PP to lay claim to the game, which is exactly what Kobold Press is trying to do in the situation at hand. They are exploiting the confusion around what "edition" means in the context of D&D to portray themselves as the true guardians of 5e. A game which, I remind, they did not create.

I can see why that would annoy WotC. It makes the OGL situation look a lot more reasonable, because KP are doing exactly the thing that WotC fretted about. It's just KP, so WotC don't have to worry too much. But what if it was Disney?

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
While I disagree with your stance I respect that is your opinion and/or experience.
It was a needless change. 100% unnecessary except to sell books. Done. End of story.
However, this doesn't make sense to me. How does the change in the prominence of feats (and that is all it is - no functional change) sell more books? I fail to understand this argument.

Imaro

Legend
Now I’m confused. Two pages ago, giving people what they wanted was a bad thing…:)
You see there were enough people grumbling against it that it had to be what WotC needed to do for the people who didn't know that they didn't know that they wanted it. It's so simple... o_O

Imaro

Legend
Funny. You can give people more than one thing, and you don't have cater exclusively to the most popular options.

Yes you can with unlimited resources... unfortunately most companies ae not dealing in unlimited resources and thus decisions that exclude have to be made. If you are a publicly traded company and have shareholders to answer to... There better be a really good reason for why you are choosing to split your resources and also spend them on the less popular of the products you can choose to make.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yes you can with unlimited resources... unfortunately most companies ae not dealing in unlimited resources and thus decisions that exclude have to be made. If you are a publicly traded company and have shareholders to answer to... There better be a really good reason for why you are choosing to split your resources and also spend them on the less popular of the products you can choose to make.
Don't get me started on publicly traded companies. That's the biggest problem right there.

Remove ads