D&D General Kobold Press Going Down a Dark Road

dave2008

Legend
and I disagree with this... I understaand that wotc D&D compared to TSR D&D has the most changes though

no way is 4e new game... the stats stay the same you still have feats and skills wotc editions are all similar

wait did you just say it's a new edition?!?! I thought I was argueing that and you were argueing it wasn't?
I mean then we agree 1D&D with what we have seen so far is a new edition from 5e.

I'm actually more confused right now then I have been since you just called it a new edition, but okay we can leave it here
To be clear: I am calling an edition a revision to a game*. And a game a fundamental change to how it is played. So

1e = game
3e = game
4e = game
5e = game

2e = and edition of 1e (just missnamed)
3.5, PF1, etc. = edition of 3e
Essentials, etc = edition of 4e
Tasha's, 1D&D, etc. = edition of 5e

*I have change my use of the word "edition" based on a comment from someone in another thread. I now agree that "edition" is a good term to use for a revision to a game (like different book editions). However, it is not an accurate term to describe the difference between 2e and 3e, 3e and 4e, or 4e and 5e. I am just calling those different games, but perhaps you can suggest a better term (that is not edition).

I've change my use of the word "edition" based on a comment from someone in another thread. I now agree that "edition" is a good term to use for a revision to a game (like different book editions). However, it is not an accurate term to describe the difference between 2e and 3e, 3e and 4e, or 4e and 5e. I am just calling those different games, but perhaps you can suggest a better term (that is not edition).
I don't agree wth calling what we used to call editions of a game whole different games. This seems a way to split us even more then we already are

dave2008

Legend
but wee both look at the playtest and see (for our own reasons) what so far looks like a new edition... so we agree on what is going on even if we disagree on how we got here.
Not necessarily. I agree that 1D&D will eventually be a new edition, but it will be the same game as 5e. By that I mean it is broadly compatible with O5e.

Where as 4e is a different game and not broadly compatible with 5e. There are similarities, they are in the same family, they are both D&D, but the are not the same game of D&D.

dave2008

Legend
you are confused because they say ‘new game’ when you would say ‘new edition’ and ‘new edition’ where you would say ‘new revision’ or ‘new version’ or something like that - I think

The point they were making is that D&D has not been using the term edition consistently, 1e/2e are compatible, 3e and 3.5 are, 4e and essentials are, 5e and 1DD are, regardless of what was called a new edition and what was not
Yes, you said it well IMO.

mamba

Legend
but wee both look at the playtest and see (for our own reasons) what so far looks like a new edition... so we agree on what is going on even if we disagree on how we got here.
no idea if we do, the poster saw something that is compatible with 5e, whether that is a new edition depends on how you define edition, which was the point.

Yes, at some point they called it an edition, but that was when 3e, 4e and 5e were different games (not editions). It follows that if you use the term edition for where they used game, then 1DD is not a new edition but something like a revision

dave2008

Legend
I don't agree wth calling what we used to call editions of a game whole different games. This seems a way to split us even more then we already are
Then what terms would you use? If 2e and 3e are editions, it seems wildly inaccurate/confusing to call 3.5e or Bo9S an edition.

I guess I could get by with

Editions: 3e, 4e, 5e, etc.
Revisions: 3.5e, Essentials, 1D&D, etc.

However, it seems wise to me to use the more standard term of edition for revisions to an existing book/game that is otherwise fundamentally the same. Then you need something else for major overhauls like 3e, 4e, & 5e. I was saying game, but maybe there is a better term.

dave2008

Legend
no idea if we do, the poster saw something that is compatible with 5e, whether that is a new edition depends on how you define edition, which was the point.

Yes, at some point they called it an edition, but that was when 3e, 4e and 5e were different games (not editions). It follows that if you use the term edition for where they used game, then 1DD is not a new edition but something like a revision
You go it!

Remove ads