D&D General Kobold Press Going Down a Dark Road

John Lloyd1

Explorer
On closer reading I think it is saying that when OneD&D hits the 2014 5e books will go out of print and the 2014 5e versions will only be available for purchase digitally on Beyond and such. The "a new version" is OneD&D I guess?
Do we have any indication that the 2014 core books will be available digitally? Or will they treat them the same way as Volo's and make them 'legacy' products digitally and physically?

Hussar

Legend
For the record, I also opened this thread originally, as I thought it was implied that we were getting a dark, edgier version of the game and was excited at the prospect.

I should be compensated for being baited in such a manner. :LOL:

I just figured it was a pun on blah flag. Silly me.

Marc Radle

Legend
Folks, I think this is just a case of misreading the FAQ.
1 - the current 5E Players Handbook, Monster Manual and DM's Guide will not continue to be in print once the new version, or edition, or whatever it is being called is released. The PDFs might remain available from WotC, or they may not.

2 - of course those 3 books will still be available in stores as long as their current stock remains, but they will be more and more difficult to buy over time, and eventually those hardcovers will be very tough to find

3 - Wizards seems to taking a more digital, subscription-based model. There is no indication that they will not still sell the books in physical format, but they are absolutely going more heavily with the digital, subscription-based model

The point of the FAQ is simply to say that the new Project Black Flag books will be produced in beautiful hard cover, as well as PDFs, and there will be no subscription-based model.

Messaging is a difficult game sometimes, but there is definitely no attempt to mislead in that FAQ, I promise :)

mamba

Legend
No, it's not. AD&D 2nd Edition debuted in February of 1989 and ran through August of 2000, lasting for 11.5 years, whereas 5E debuted in August of 2014, which was just over 8.5 years ago.
I guess it helped that TSR was fighting against bankruptcy and was unable to push out a new edition ;)

Also, 2e had revised core books in 1995 along with the Player Options books. That is as much of a refresh as 5e is getting now. So either 2e was shorter than 5e or 5e is still in the running to become the longest running edition with the 1D refresh

Folks, I think this is just a case of misreading the FAQ.
1 - the current 5E Players Handbook, Monster Manual and DM's Guide will not continue to be in print once the new version, or edition, or whatever it is being called is released. The PDFs might remain available from WotC, or they may not.

2 - of course those 3 books will still be available in stores as long as their current stock remains, but they will be more and more difficult to buy over time, and eventually those hardcovers will be very tough to find

3 - Wizards seems to taking a more digital, subscription-based model. There is no indication that they will not still sell the books in physical format, but they are absolutely going more heavily with the digital, subscription-based model

The point of the FAQ is simply to say that the new Project Black Flag books will be produced in beautiful hard cover, as well as PDFs, and there will be no subscription-based model.

Messaging is a difficult game sometimes, but there is definitely no attempt to mislead in that FAQ, I promise :)
Marc I have a lot of respect for you and will take you at your word but I also think that is an incredibly imprecise and sloppy FAQ which is a little surprising from a publishing company.

Remove ads