D&D General Kobold Press Going Down a Dark Road

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Do the 2014 CR system, the 2014 Monster Manual's creatures, and 5E's adventures work with the assumption that every 1st level character gets a free Feat?
Yes. The CR system is fuzzy at best and has always needed individual adjuatment based on party so it is unaffected, and an individual Monster only lasts 2-3 rounds of Combat so is also not impacted. Same with Adventures, they need individual tuning anyways, so a minor boost like a single Feat doesn't matter much at all. It's worth noting that we are in the fourth year of juat about evwry product giving away first Level Feats anyways, and it hasn't had a big impact (though we are also getting more consistent performance form the newer Monster design, so thst balances out).

Black Flag giving an extra Feat every few Levels (see their latest design diary) will make a difference at some point, though not game breaking at low Levels. And that's my point: both Black Flag and OneD&D are making changes, but Black Flag's are bigger by the numbers in spite of their rhetoric about how much OneD&D is changing.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You're missing some subclasses and feats, yeah. But I contend that the bulk of the game material is still present.
I mean, there's enough to play the game, sure. But with regard to specific aspects of it, well, let's take a look at the PHB by itself and compare it to the 5.1 SRD:
  • Subclasses in the PHB: 40
  • Subclasses in the 5.1 SRD: 12
  • Backgrounds in the PHB: 13
  • Backgrounds in the 5.1 SRD: 1
  • Feats in the PHB: 42
  • Feats in the 5.1 SRD: 1
  • Spells in the PHB: 362
  • Spells in the 5.1 SRD: 319
So I suppose if you're playing a spellcaster and don't much care about anything besides spells, it's pretty robust, but otherwise not so much.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
But that's the thing, neither is really a "switch" at all. OneD&D is just 5E with some revisions, and Black Flag looks to be usable with older material as well. If anything, the recent decisions like "everyone gets a Talent AND and ASI" shift the math around to make Black Flag much more of a change in practice.
I am not disagreeing with neither being 5e and both being compatible with it. The point KP is making is that original 5e is going away either way, so if you switch to something similar anyway, consider Black Flag. Possibly because they support playing at a table while WotC wants you on / emphasizes digital

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am not disagreeing with neither being 5e and both being compatible with it. The point KP is making is that original 5e is going away either way, so if you switch to something similar anyway, consider Black Flag. Possibly because they support playing at a table while WotC wants you on / emphasizes digital
So what it feels like to me is that Kobold Press started their design and marketing planning assuming that OneD&D would be a major rules change and that WotC would majorly push digital over analog play...and now thst the rules revision is turning out not ot be major, and there is no evidence that books aren't going to be printed...their marketing plan comes off as weird to me.

mamba

Legend
Do the 2014 CR system, the 2014 Monster Manual's creatures, and 5E's adventures work with the assumption that every 1st level character gets a free Feat?
yes, but things might be slightly easier. Nothing new there either, given that they do not account for magical items very well either, CR is not a precise math.

Chances are the 2024 monsters will be slightly buffed, esp. the higher CR ones, and then you use those in your 2014 adventures with 2024 chars

mamba

Legend
So what it feels like to me is that Kobold Press started their design and marketing planning assuming that OneD&D would be a major rules change and that WotC would majorly push digital over analog play...and now thst the rules revision is turning out not ot be major, and there is no evidence that books aren't going to be printed...their marketing plan comes off as weird to me.
what it feels like to me is that they started this while the OGL was assumed to be going away, and now that it is not, they are trying a different angle (and none will be as good as there not being an OGL for 1DD but an ORC for BF)

Exactly. And it looks like they either have a profound misunderstanding of what WoTC is planning from a design perspective and distribution perspective (digital only) or more likely they are playing off the illwill from the PGL fiasco to misrepresent things.

I am not saying this to bag on KP. I have almost all of their 5E products but I don’t care for they way they are approaching this.

Remove ads