• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

3.5 Kraken Variants

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Whew, that's a lot! I will agree to that space/reach and your proposed ability scores.

320 ft jet speed seems ok if we go with the 80 ft swim speed. What's the deal with the 240' (80') in the original, though?

10x low-light vision is ok. Maybe darkvision 100ft (more than a kraken since it's so much bigger)?

On NA: 3 size increases (using Gargantuan to Colossal, anyway) is +15. Compared to a kraken, that's NA +29. I also get NA +29 starting from the giant octopus, but NA +25 starting with the giant squid. Honestly, I want this thing to be fairly hard to hurt, so I'd go with at least the NA +29. What do you think?

Cleon

Adventurer
Whew, that's a lot! I will agree to that space/reach and your proposed ability scores.

320 ft jet speed seems ok if we go with the 80 ft swim speed.
Good!

Updating Mystaran Kraken Working Draft.

What's the deal with the 240' (80') in the original, though?
I don't follow you. What's the issue you'd like clarifying?

10x low-light vision is ok. Maybe darkvision 100ft (more than a kraken since it's so much bigger)?
If we're increasing the darkvision I'd be tempted to make the range match or exceed the creature's reach so it can see what it's attacking.

Darkvision 750 ft or 900 ft. seems rather high though.

On NA: 3 size increases (using Gargantuan to Colossal, anyway) is +15. Compared to a kraken, that's NA +29. I also get NA +29 starting from the giant octopus, but NA +25 starting with the giant squid. Honestly, I want this thing to be fairly hard to hurt, so I'd go with at least the NA +29. What do you think?
Let's see.

Giant Octopus +7 NA, add +12 for Large=>Colossal and +10 for "Colossal++" is +29 natural armour.
Giant Squid +6 NA, add +9 for Huge=>Colossal and +10 for "Colossal++" is +25 natural armour.
Kraken +14 NA, add +5 for Gargantuan=>Colossal and +10 for "Colossal++" is +29 natural armour.

Yup, your sums match mine.

I'd be OK just using the Giant Squid's enlarged NA with a 2 point boost to +27 natural armour. That way we've got a "0" in the AC like the original. :p

Armor Class: 30 (–8 size, +1 Dex, +27 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 29

If you rather make it higher you might be able to persuade me, although I prefer this beastie to be somewhat "squishy" for its Hit Dice.

The original has a respectable AC 0 for a BECMI cephalopod. That's 7 points better than a standard BECMI/AD&D Giant Squid or Giant Octopus. The AD&D Giant Squid also an AC 3 body shell and BECMI has an AC5 Giant Squid in X13 but those seem irrelevant.

So I might consider adding +8 to the Giant Octopus's enlarged NA to make it:

Armor Class: 40 (–8 size, +1 Dex, +37 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 39

What do you think?

Last edited:

Advertisement