Kris' miniature thread

D'karr

Adventurer
All these look really fantastic. Your photography is also very good. It captures the miniatures very well, without the common graininess of miniature photography.

Kris

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words D'karr ...the photography is probably more luck than judgement (I take about 10 pic's and then choose the best looking, least blurry, one :heh: ).

Next up are a few more plastic wood elves that I've had lying around for some time:

woodelves.jpg

Like the one before, they are from the current LotR range by Games Workshop - and I have to admit that although I like the look and the style of the miniatures, they are a pain to paint. Sometimes it's hard to tell when one piece of cloth/equipment ends and the next begins - or it's hard to try and pick out details (like the hair texture) because it simply is not there :(

And like other GW stuff - the other 8 figures on the sprue are just variations of these 4 basic poses (i.e. same legs and body but with different arms and heads) - but all said and done, I still prefer them over a lot of other elf miniature ranges out there ...it's just a pity about their lack of detail/bad moulding.

Kris

Adventurer
I had some time on my hands last week, and I had purchased a bunch of NPC looking miniatures (from Black Tree Design) a month or two ago, so I figured I'd slap a bit of paint on a few of them.

npcminis.jpg

Nothing special I admit - but seeing as I can cover a lot of monsters with at least a reasonable proxy mini from my D&D plastics, I thought I could probably do with a bunch of 'NPC's for all occasions' :)

Kris

Adventurer
I got the Hirst Arts 'cavern accessory mould' (#85) for Christmas with the intention of creating some small terrain-type pieces to liven up the battlemat.

I've already posted these pictures over on the H.A. boards… but I figured I'd add them to this post too :)

The first is just a test really - where I have used some miscast pieces to try out some colours (where I've hacked out the air-bubbles and made those areas look damaged instead). The base is just a couple of pieces from the 'flagstone floor tile' mould (#260) that I had lying around:
85_1.jpg

This one is a simple standing stone that I have carved a runic inscription into (mounted on a 40mm round base):
85_2.jpg

Next is small campsite mounted on a 50mm round base:
85_3.jpg

And finally, a dungeon (or castle) lever mechanism (the wall is from the small brick mould #250):
85_4a.jpg

Reverse:
85_4b.jpg

Kris

Adventurer
For the Uruk's it was a pretty simple layering technique -but I didn't worry about too many layers (as I painted all these as a group and wanted them done relatively quickly). For example I think there is only 3 or four layers on the skin... which means the transition from dark to light is not very subtle - but I think they look OK as gaming pieces nonetheless :)

Kris

Adventurer
Here's a couple more terrain/dungeon decoration pieces made from the Hirst Arts mould that I have just finished:
85_6.jpg

85_5.jpg

And an elven druid:
elf_druid.jpg

The dog was from a Ral Partha pack that contained a warrior-looking guy and 4 dogs, and the elf is a 'male ice elf' from Das Schwarze Auge.

Remove ads