• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Personally if feats become norm in backgrounds, I'd rather see them replace your skills, language, and proficiencies.

2 skills +2 language/tools/vehicles is about equal to a feat. Losing 2 base skills is HUGE and is worth a focused feat.
Not me. I mean you could, but then you'd need to put those skills and languages somewhere else. Learning a feat doesn't mean that you suddenly never learned any skills or languages outside of what your class provides. 15+ years of learning before you ever get to your class or gain 1st level don't disappear.

I’ve seen (and done) the old 1-2 level dip and then switch to another class on martials. Sometimes getting an important feature right away is worth waiting one level for Extra Attack.
I find grabing 2 levels of fighter (action surge and second wind and fighting style) with 3 levels of rogue (2d6 sneak attack and cunning action) is just as good as 5 levels of fighter.

I find a 2 level dip into paliden is great for any cha caster that wants to go gish

Not me. I mean you could, but then you'd need to put those skills and languages somewhere else. Learning a feat doesn't mean that you suddenly never learned any skills or languages outside of what your class provides. 15+ years of learning before you ever get to your class or gain 1st level don't disappear.
This sounds like one of those horrable 'flaw' systems I used to see homebrewed... "I have no skill points and a penelty to all social rolls but in exchange I get a bump in HD size my crit range on melee weapons goes up by 1 and I get a feat" normally mixed with "I will subtract 3 from Cha to add +1 str... then -3 Int for +1 con

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
haste was completely broken in 3.0
Not necessarily. It was broken depending on the circumstance. Casting haste on your Fighter grants one extra attack. Casting haste on yourself or another caster could let you drop two spells a turn, and that might be broken, but it also means you are using up resources more quickly. If the adventure does not allow you to declare "5 minute workday" after a few encounters, then you just burned a lot of spells to win one encounter.

Haste in 3.5, on the other hand, lets you buff all your weapon attackers to get an extra attack, as well as giving the whole team +1 to hit, AC, and Reflex saves, as well as a possible 30 ft. additional movement. This can get scary in a party with animal companions or summons. There are just as many situations where that can seem busted as well.

It's more palatable because it's technically not giving the spellcaster more power, but forcing them to buff their allies (good!) but then again, if you use any kind of minionmancy, it's actually a bit worse...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I loved MiBG. It did have the same problem Dragon Heist has, where the title suggests it’s one kind of adventure but the adventure itself is something else. But I really enjoyed what the adventure actually was. What was the problem you ran into with it?
The players are asked to join one of three factions. The noble faction runs out of missions a few chapters in because they are the bad guys (gasp!), which the players don't know, and don't get clues about (the clues are in missions that you perform for the other two factions), forcing me to basically make up things for the group to do, and then hand them a clue so they could actually participate in the endgame.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This sounds like one of those horrable 'flaw' systems I used to see homebrewed... "I have no skill points and a penelty to all social rolls but in exchange I get a bump in HD size my crit range on melee weapons goes up by 1 and I get a feat" normally mixed with "I will subtract 3 from Cha to add +1 str... then -3 Int for +1 con
Yeah. Just let it be. The skills and languages from background are a fantastic place for them. Adding the feats does increase the power level of PCs, but it's more fun! And it can easily be compensated for by the DM. Hell, it will let DMs who stop campaigns at low level use some higher CR monsters that they never get to use.

Remove ads