D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sounds a bit more like paragon paths.
Yeah. Kinda. I don't see a way to add them in otherwise, though. They can't come in with additional abilities. They need to replace existing ones in order to remain balanced and not require their use by those who don't want to use them.

Subclass abilities are at 3rd and 9th. 3rd is too early, and if you replace your second ability onward, you basically don't have a subclass. Same with allowing the prestige class earlier than 10th or 11th level and replacing main class abilities. By waiting until 10th or 11th level, you have a character who has significant class abilities, but still has multiple abilities to replace with the prestige class.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. Kinda. I don't see a way to add them in otherwise, though. They can't come in with additional abilities. They need to replace existing ones in order to remain balanced and not require their use by those who don't want to use them.

Subclass abilities are at 3rd and 9th. 3rd is too early, and if you replace your second ability onward, you basically don't have a subclass. Same with allowing the prestige class earlier than 10th or 11th level and replacing main class abilities. By waiting until 10th or 11th level, you have a character who has significant class abilities, but still has multiple abilities to replace with the prestige class.
People who play up that Level probably are more likely to be looking for something along those liens, anyways. i could see something like a combo of Paragon paths, prestige Classes, and Themes in play here, offering higher level Feats.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
People who play up that Level probably are more likely to be looking for something along those liens, anyways. i could see something like a combo of Paragon paths, prestige Classes, and Themes in play here, offering higher level Feats.
Yeah, tbh I think they'd accomplish that via feats and an additional layer of character customization that is akin to higher level backgrounds. They're perfectly okay with giving supernatural gifts at level 1 in some settings and not others, I can't see them being afraid to simply say, "You can optionally use these Paragon Paths to further define your character as you become one of the more powerful people in the multiverse." or whatever.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
One of the things I consider a "hidden strength" of 5e for why it's so popular is the lack of minutia choices that players have to make when they make a character. Pick a race, pick a class, pick a background, arrange your stat array/die rolls according to the advice for your class, mark the skills you get and you're basically done except for a couple of classes that make you take your subclass at first level and choice of spells.

I know it seems counterintuitive to folks who really want to have maximal customization options from level 1 for their characters, but the casual players I play with who basically had me build their characters for them in 3e and 4e make 5e characters for themselves with no issues. Making all of the choices "big picture" choices definitely makes character creation and advancement easier for those folks.
1st level should be a dirt simple build. The 1st level is the rookie level and you should be a straight out of school grunt without a specialization. Race, Class, Background, Scores. Done.

Customization basic specialization should come out over the 2nd and 3rd levels

A Feat, Theme, or Custom linage at level 1 should really be an advanced option that costs you your Background or Race.

Remove ads