Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Scotley

Hero
Let's go with a letter to Silvon Silas, I presume you'll get me from there to the rest of the group.

Sounds like an origin in the Maroon Knightholds makes the most sense. What language would he speak from there? I'll take Cliff speak as well. Will try to finish up today. I haven't been playing much 3.5 in recent years and so it is slow going.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Let's go with a letter to Silvon Silas, I presume you'll get me from there to the rest of the group.
No worries.

Scotley said:
Sounds like an origin in the Maroon Knightholds makes the most sense. What language would he speak from there? I'll take Cliff speak as well. Will try to finish up today. I haven't been playing much 3.5 in recent years and so it is slow going.
DM's Note: I've underlined the languages that are most appropriate for your PC.

For languages, he's most likely to have been exposed to the following regional languages in addition to Cliffspeak: Novarese, Rölian, Tarmin, Ticin, and Váryar.

Novarese is the primary language of the lands of Novarum, but isn't as common in the Bluffside Region as Ticin, which is spoken on both sides of the Red Mountains (or Montagne Rosse in Noverese) but originates in the Imperial Lands of Ticinum. While Ticin is equivalent to Latin, Noverese is equivalent to Italian.

Rölian and Váryar are languages from the lands just to the east of the Red Mountains. Rölian is spoken by the peoples of the Rölheim Mountains and doesn't really have a real world equivalent. Váryar is the regional language of the Kingdom of Várad, and is also spoken in the land surrounding that kingdom. Think of Váryar as a Uralic language equivalent to Hungarian (which is called Magyar in Hungarian).

Tarmin is the regional language of the Kingdom of Tarminan. Its origins would be a mixture of Novarese and some of the high language known as Tal (the aristocrat only language of Talangrán). Tal is equivalent to Spanish when it was known as Castile, although in this campaign world the language is influenced by Infernal. Tal is rarely spoken by anyone outside of Talangrán.

Tarmin is different enough to be considered its own language. However, the aristocrats of Talangrán do not like it being spoken in their presence.

Other regional language options (w/real world equivalents): Aegean (Greek), Almad (Basque), Coeurdis (French), Ealdurian (Old English), Falian (German/Frisian), Hjemsk (Old Norse), Kotimen (Finnish), Sprache (German/Saxon), and Torassian (Russian).

For racial language options, these are the most common in the Bluffside region: Draconic, Dragori, Dwarven/Dwarvish, Elven/Elvish, Feline (cat races), Giant, Gnome, Gnome (Steam-dialect), Goblin, Halfling, High Speech (gray and high elves), Kitt (a small homebrewed cat race), Merfolk, Orc, Rakasta, Sixam, and Varahnish.

Dragori, Sixam, Steam Gnome, and Varahnish are languages of new races published in the Bluffside sourcebook. The Dragori are an important reptilian people with dragon ancestry; the race has an empire in the region known as the Dragon Sands. The Sixam Ieuna are a winged race known throughout The Northwest (and some parts beyond). Steam gnomes live underground primarily beneath Bluffside, as well as both the Red Mountains and the Sundered Mountains. Varahnish is the racial language of an aquatic race called the Sel’varahn with strong ties to Bluffside. They are a common race of the Sea of Ishamark.

Other important world languages for Kanpur include the following: Abyssal, Anarchic, Aquan, Auran, Axiomatic, Celestial, Deepingspeak, Druidic, Ignan, Infernal, Sidhe, Sign Language, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.

Deepingspeak and Sidhe are the rarest of these languages. Deepingspeak is spoken by aboleths, duergar dwarves, and morlocks (evil trog-gnomes). It is rarely spoken on the surface world, but is known in the western lands of Kanpur (due to past conflicts/invasions). Sidhe is spoken by the sidhe (fey elves), satyrs, and other denizens of the Faerie plane. It is commonly spoken by the high elves of Ravensilath in the Coldwind Forest.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Awesome. the major points of my character are ready. I need to buy a couple more toys, and actually write up the proposed background. but I think he's about ready to get started.

Of course as is often the case with my life the timing stinks. I'm heading out of town for a little fall break beach vacation with the family next week and I expect to post minimally for a week or so. It may be best to delay my character, who I just realized also needs a name, just a little longer.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
@JustinCase, I made a mistake with Draconic - it was an option at one point in character creation, in the meantime I took Ticin and several human languages - my mistake, I edited the post. Sorry for the confusion

Remove ads