• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E L5R / Rokugan for D&D 5E

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I'm wondering how easily you can put D&D elements into the L5R setting.

For example, the d20 Rokugan book suggested having dwarves in the Crab clan, which seems like a good fit. Or maybe I want to emulate a wu jen somehow.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Seems like fun. Maybe running Tyrany of Dragons or Curse of Strahd, with Strahd being more of a jiangshi, would be a nice change of flavor for my group.
Use Rokugan as one of the settings linked via the Radiant Citadel. Run some old L5R modules with Adventures in Rokugan.
I'm wondering how easily you can put D&D elements into the L5R setting.

For example, the d20 Rokugan book suggested having dwarves in the Crab clan, which seems like a good fit. Or maybe I want to emulate a wu jen somehow.
The idea with most of these games is to be as close mechanically as possible to D&D 5E because it's where the overwhelmingly vast majority of the players are. The less like D&D 5E they make these games, the smaller the draw, and the less money they'll make. So they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by changing the basic rules too much. Reading between the lines, Adventures in Rokugan might be a more explicitly mythic version of Rokugan to help better bridge the gap between the base assumptions of L5R and D&D. So they might be changing the setting to suit the rules. Or changing it enough to mostly suit the rules. There will likely be some rough edges and bits that stand out as odd choices from both sides of the equation (L5R fans and D&D fans).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Use Rokugan as one of the settings linked via the Radiant Citadel. Run some old L5R modules with Adventures in Rokugan.

The idea with most of these games is to be as close mechanically as possible to D&D 5E because it's where the overwhelmingly vast majority of the players are. The less like D&D 5E they make these games, the smaller the draw, and the less money they'll make. So they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by changing the basic rules too much. Reading between the lines, Adventures in Rokugan might be a more explicitly mythic version of Rokugan to help better bridge the gap between the base assumptions of L5R and D&D. So they might be changing the setting to suit the rules. Or changing it enough to mostly suit the rules. There will likely be some rough edges and bits that stand out as odd choices from both sides of the equation (L5R fans and D&D fans).
Yeah. For example, they seem to be emphasizing nonhuman heritages far more than the original L5R did.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia

Cool, cool. Yeah, I feel like I'm finally getting the version of Rokugan that I've always wanted.

Remove ads