D&D 5E L5R / Rokugan for D&D 5E

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Could be interesting, or at least useful. I skipped Fantasy Flight's version of the setting, but before that I have every product produced for the RPG, and a ton of the CCG too.

Micah Sweet

Of course, I'm still waiting to hear some actual info on Edge Studio's continuation of the Star Wars RPG, so I'll remain skeptical until I hear about some actual product.

Lyxen

Great Old One
For me, these cross-overs have always been failures at some level. When you have a game system that has been designed jointly with the complete background and when these match perfectly, trying to conserve a rich background and force another completely different game system to try and emulate the original one results in something that always seem clunky at some level.

TheSword

Legend
Now this is hella-exciting! Cant wait to see how this comes out. The 3e version of Rokugan was one of my favourite settings though I only got chance to do one campaign for it, which was the first campaign I wrote entirely myself if I recall.

The party were traveling through the forests and came upon the Emperor and his body guard being attacked by a massive oni which killed the royal entourage and mortally wounded the emperor. As he died he made the PCs emerald magistrates and tasked them with taking his Daisho to the Queen and finding out who had summoned the demon and stopping them. They travelled all over Rokugan and met the emperors heirs before reaching the capital. I remember lots of epic boss fights, and some really cool PCs. One was a monk, one a samurai and one a rogue. It was a cool party. Very fond memories.

I have the L5R core book for each edition but I’ll be honest have been left cold since 5e. They’re beautiful but there’s just not enough substance. One thing that has always let L5R down has been adventure writing I think. I really hope they can put together a great adventure for this system as well!

Either way, it’s and auto-buy for me. Can’t wait to see!

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
Gotta say, I'm kinda excited. I wasn't a huge fan of the 3E version of the game, but that was because 3E was clunky, forcing things in that didn't quite work. I played the CCG and original RPG through all 4 editions, however, I and love the setting. Kinda curious how they're going to handle the fact that so much of 5E is magical, so we'll see. This is something I'd definitely check out!

I just think the clans would make nifty backgrounds.
At one point I was looking at making my own version of Rokugan for 5E. Due to the fact that 99% of characters are going to be human, and that the 5E base human is lackluster, I used the clans/families to replace race/subrace. I think that's the better way to go, and the setting itself will provide some interesting backgrounds.

Micah Sweet

For me, these cross-overs have always been failures at some level. When you have a game system that has been designed jointly with the complete background and when these match perfectly, trying to conserve a rich background and force another completely different game system to try and emulate the original one results in something that always seem clunky at some level.
Oh, I agree! That part of why I skipped FF's version. But at least a 5th ed version would have cool 5th ed stuff you can use in other campaigns.

Remove ads