• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lashlashlashlashlashlashlash!

Jeph

Explorer
Human Ranger1/Ftr5/Lasher10. 16 levels, in the SMACK style. Not a complete smack, but a foundation. :)

Premise: whips are cool. You can attack alot with them.

Build: Whip in each hand. EWP: whip and Point Blank Shot at lv. 1, rapid shot at Ftr 1, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting at lv. 9, Superior Multiweapon Fighting at lv. 15, Crack of Doom, Crack of Fate. So, we have:

4 attacks base
+1 rapid shot
+3 two-weapon fighting and related feats
+2 Crack of Doom/Fate
+1 Haste (you are Hastened, right?)
---------------------
11 whip attacks total.

Is this completely legal? Can someone expand this into a fully-fledged smack? Will the question of does TWF work with ranged weapons come up?

the world may never know . . .

android

First Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't. It's stated in the PH and in the FAQ that Two-Weapon Fighting only applies to melee attacks. :(

Sanackranib

First Post
whips

the whip is a large weapon so I would never let a player weild 2 at the same time unless he was also of large size or bigger. it would be like weilding 2 bastard swords. (I know, I know "monkey grip, ambedextarity, 2 weapon style - I wouldn't allow that either and none of my players have ever tried to munchkin it in anyway) you could use a whip and rapier though per the style in the quintessintial fighter but you would take the
-4/-4 for not having a "light" weapon in the off hand

Jeph

Explorer
Um, no? The whip is Small sized.

But it's kinda moot, since others have pointed out that you can't TWF with Ranged weapons.

The Dragonstar feat Two Gun Shooting, however . . . If that had it's chain expanded, you could still get all the feats. :D

EDIT: And Bastard swords are medium sized anyway! Wielding 2 is no prob!

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
hehe.
Jeph, I looked into this a while back, and found out TWF doesn't work (even tho it's VERY close, and intuitively you'd think it'd work, but strictly by the rules, it doesn't.)

I'm waiting for something else to come out to put this SMACK over the top and I'd work a Smack up.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The Two-Weapon Fighting feat chains needs so many fixes to not suck. This is yet another one-- two whips should be a perfectly valid usage of Two-Weapon Fighting.

Maybe you could have an inverted Weapon Finese feat. You could apply STR to a big hunk of spiked chain. You'd probably be stuck at -4/-4 forever, but it could work. I think that would be 10 attacks by your calculations.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Please note, that it is perfectly legal to dual-wield whips.

Not with TWF mind you, but with the x-bow rules.

So you can lash once (or more times) with your primary hand at -2 attack penalty, and once (and only once) with your off-hand at -6 (-2 with Ambidexterity).

The most attacks I can see happening is 10; 4 from BAB, 2 from Imp. Rapid Shot, 1 from off-hand, 2 from crack of doom, 1 from haste. If you improved manyshot that extra attack from haste, that is a whole lot of lashes. The 8 primary attacks would be at -9, the off-hand attack at -13 (or -9).

Last edited:

Baron Von StarBlade

As most others have said TWF doesn't work with Ranged weapons. That being said Before his untimely demise I was playing a Halfling Rog6/Ftr4/Lsh4 who's maximum attack iterations were +20/+20/+20/+15/+10 with each attack doing 1D2+8 +4D6 S.A. Damage. Of course that was using a standard whip. IF the DM would have let me he would have been using a Mighty +2 Whip Dagger (Keen) and his damage would have been: 1D6+10 +4D6 S.A (15-20).

Remove ads