• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Stand of the Dorinthians (Chapter 4- The Second Invasion)

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Caramip Ashearth

Caramip absorbs as much of what has been told as she can. Though she is still a bit overwhelmed by the Mephits sudden confesion. For know she is content in letting her fellow commrades question the outsider as she takes a closer look at the chained coffen.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Phly sympathizes with Caramip and whispers to her, "He lies. Don't believe him. We were made by the gods as reflections of immortal joy and merriment, not by some group of arrogant slavers."

As the gnomes walk towards the sarcophagus they see that the chains that bind it are taught and are attached to the arms and bodies of the three gnome-like statues that form a triangle around it. Two of the statues are male, while one is female and all three have been carved in a semblance of pulling mightily in order to keep the coffin shut. Each chain wraps several times around the sarcophagus and glows dimly with a strange and colorful aura. One chain glows pale red, another a white, and the third a light blue aura. As Caramip moves to touch one of the chains (the one with the light blue aura), the hairs on the back of her hand begin to rise as if she was in a field during a thunderstorm.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas looks at the mephit, yet answers Dartis' question. "It is complex, true, but if I understand correctly there were three major races in the past: The gnomians, the greatest of these the Geomancers and their children; the Avariel; and the Locusi." He shrugs. "But what I don't understand is what is it here that will help us against the Lord of the Mountain, unless it is this Geomancer."

Fenris

Adventurer
GlassEye said:
Silas looks at the mephit, yet answers Dartis' question. "It is complex, true, but if I understand correctly there were three major races in the past: The gnomians, the greatest of these the Geomancers and their children; the Avariel; and the Locusi." He shrugs. "But what I don't understand is what is it here that will help us against the Lord of the Mountain, unless it is this Geomancer."

"That is indeed my fear Silas. That we need the geomancer to seal the Lord of the Mountain again. By the Rider! I would rather face the Tallione any day than deal with these cryptic mystical mysteries. But how do we use the geomancer without freeing him, or if we must free him coerce him to do what we need done?"

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Caramip Ashearth

Blue, electricity….” She mumbles as she pulls her hand away from the light blue chain. Her eyes shift to the other chains as she continues to mumble, “Red, fire…. White, Ice… maybe?” She looks towards the statues and then the coffin. “But what does that all mean? Are the elements binding him in place or are they the keys to unlocking him?” She continues to mumbles.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The mephit snickers bitterly at Caramip's question. "You understand so much, and yet so much of your heritage has been obviously lost. The chains that partially encompass the elements of water, air, and earth bind him though they are not strong enough to hold him if he was fully awake as he has influence over these same elements despite their current purpose. It was fire that was always the uncontrolled element, and fire that causes him to fall into his current torpor inside the sarcophagus."

Turning towards Dartis and Silas he answers with some bitterness and yet more sadness. "Why should he fight you? Goreallis was always kind to the lesser races when they willingly served him, and freeing him would be a service indeed. Besides, the war was lost and his dreams have ever been on happier times and not revenge."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas smiles somewhat sadly. "I enjoy puzzling over mysteries when my family is not in danger..." He faces Dartis and continues, "My lord, we have loosed much worse upon this world in an effort to save our people. This may be another, or it may be an ally to help us correct some of the damage that we have done in the past. Either way, it is my belief that we have no choice but to take this one at his word and take the chance." He turns to the mephit. "Do you know how to free Goreallis?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The mephit shudders for a moment, then looks around in agitation before answering, "One of the elements needs to be neutralized, such as by the loosening of one of the chains or the extinguishing of the fire inside the sarcophagus. More than that I cannot say, for I am forbidden by oath from what is needed to free him."

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Caramip Ashearth

"Neutralized uh?" She says with a sigh. "Seems easy enough. Five against water and air against earth. So anyone got a torch or a bucket of water?" She asks.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Phly shrugs his shoulders and takes a flask of water to the chain that is glowing red. "Well, let's see what happens." As he pours the water over the chain you can see the stream breaking before it ever hits the metal and what appears to be invisible shards of stone flowing back and forth quickly just over the chain. The aura of the chain glows slightly brighter as he does this, but there doesn't seem to be any negative effect. There just isn't enough water to really disrupt the elements bound inside, and Phly stares at the chain in wonder, looking relieved that he had not tried to touch it.

"The chain of earth," the mephit says simply.

Remove ads