• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Stand of the Dorinthians (Final Chapter)

Fenris

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry, you said you were waiting on for Silas' action before we continue and thought you'd update then.

Dartis shoots Silas a grin back, while he'd wanted him to go, he couldn't fault Silas for staying to fight and stand beside him.

Dartis brings the bow up, he wished it didn;'t have to be this way, he had other things to do right now, like save his people. But he had made the decisions that had led to this. Well now that he thought about it, he had brought along Eroll and Sanmar. How had Ularvee got involved after all? That's right she just showed up to tag along after being rebuffed by Silas.

Perhaps Dartis should have said no, but his desire for the cure had caused him to take all allies or ones they said were allies. Maybe this was the most brambled path yet, Dartis didn't know. What he knew was that this woman was a blight on his people and if he did find the cure, having Ularvee gone or reduced in power would be a good thing.

He offers up a silent prayer again to the Rider. I have much to do to to save the Sons of Dorin. Please give me the strength to complete this task you have given me. Rid me of this foul woman who has plagued and bedeviled my people for so long.

Dartis pulls back the bowstring "It's ironic Ularvee, this bow is the one I took from your harpy after I slew her." he taunts as he lets a pair of arrows fly.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Dartis strikes first, sending two arrows screaming towards Ulavree. The first arrow ricochets off her as it strikes some sort of invisible shield and breaks apart, falling into the brush. The second arrow pierces through the barrier and strikes her, but it seems to tear off a layer of flesh instead of injuring her. She now looks slightly older.

Silas' spell seems to have no effect on Ulavree's two enchantments as her magic was too strong for him to tear away.

Ulavree casts a spell and conjures four small spectral asps which fly and connect unerringly against Dartis (-15 hps to Dartis).

The snakes writhe and bite at Dartis and Silas, and Silas gets nipped by several fangs although he is able to pull back in time to avoid being affected by the poison (-6 hps to Silas.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas quietly curses though he really hadn't expected a different outcome. He takes another step back and casts burning hands. He aims his hands down towards his feet to spray the snakes with fire.

Fenris

Adventurer
OOC: Dispel Magic Glasseye? Against a god? Of course my arrows are equally puny. :erm:

I think it's time we crossed the beams :p 'cuz I think we really are at the Last Stand of the Dorinthians.

Dartis winces in pain as the snakes strike him. Undetered he moves back a bit and fires another pair at Ularvee.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Dartis lets loose with two arrows, both of which pierce the invisible shell surrounding Ulavree and each ripping out another sheet of skin. The first arrow makes her bleed slightly, causing the goddess to shout more out of surprise than pain as a trickle of dark blood appears along her right forearm. She continues to age as each sheet of skin is removed, seeming now in her late 30s.

Silas casts his spell, burning away part of the asp swarm that is attacking him. The creatures scatter, although another part of the swarm still surround Dartis.

This second, smaller swarm attacks Dartis although the fighter comes out with only minor damage and avoids their poison (-1 hp to Dartis).

Ulavree ignores her new wound and sends another swarm of spectral asps at Dartis (-12 hps to Dartis).

GlassEye

Adventurer
OOC: Dispel Magic Glasseye? Against a god? Of course my arrows are equally puny. :erm:

OOC: Heh, it was worth a try anyway.

Silas realizes that he can't do much more against the swarm of asps without harming Dartis with his magic as well. He turns his attention back to Ulavree and is heartened somewhat by the effect that Dartis' arrows seem to have on the goddess. He begins humming a song he last heard sung by the Dorinthians while facing the hordes of the Tallione and realizes that regardless of the outcome he is ready to meet his fate. He stops his humming long enough to chant out the words of a spell and direct a bolt of sizzling light at Ulavree (casting scorching ray).

Fenris

Adventurer
Dartis lets loose with two arrows, both of which pierce the invisible shell surrounding Ulavree and each ripping out another sheet of skin. The first arrow makes her bleed slightly, causing the goddess to shout more out of surprise than pain as a trickle of dark blood appears along her right forearm. She continues to age as each sheet of skin is removed, seeming now in her late 30s.

Silas casts his spell, burning away part of the asp swarm that is attacking him. The creatures scatter, although another part of the swarm still surround Dartis.

This second, smaller swarm attacks Dartis although the fighter comes out with only minor damage and avoids their poison (-1 hp to Dartis).

Ulavree ignores her new wound and sends another swarm of spectral asps at Dartis (-12 hps to Dartis).

Dartis hakes his head Too many hearts. he thinks

She'll barely have gray hair by the time she kills me.

But this was my path and I allowed her to become powerful, I was the one who chose to tolerate the evil among us, because it was easy. I don;t mind paying the price, but I wish my people didn't.

A quick look over at Silas shows he is mostly unhurt, and that cheers Dartis, for hope remains as long as Silas is alive.

Grimacing through the pain, Dartis readies two more arrows.

Ah Rider, if only I had a horse, I could die in combat on a horse! As befits a son of Dorin, though I am now unworthy. I had a horse but he is with a worthy rider now.

Dartsi sends the arrows to Ularvee.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Dartis fires another pair of arrows, both of which pierce through the shell that Ulavree has up, but the first arrow goes further than just removing a sheet of skin off the woman... it creases her brow and leaves a trail of blood as she screams in pain. (OOC: Critical hit from Dartis)

Silas own beam hits her directly in the chest, tearing off yet another layer while illuminating the now-shrieking goddess. She looks older indeed now, as a middle-aged woman just approaching her stooped elder years (OOC: Natural '20' from Silas). The snakes on the forest surface seem to lose their aggressive ways momentarily and nip unsuccessfully at Dartis.

The witch's scream shakes the very trees and echo through the forest. She attempts to cast a spell at Dartis, but the effort fizzles as she loses her focus.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas doesn't even hesitate as he casts his second prepared scorching ray at Ulavree.

If we don't get past Ulavree then all our people are lost...

Remove ads