D&D 5E Latest Core Rule Books Errata

R_J_K75

Legend
I was looking through the latest Sage Advice Compendium released in Oct 2020. This document links to the official errata documents, and according to those, the PHB is in the 12th printing, the DMG and MM are both in the 10th printing. If I understand things correctly all the errata in these documents will be included in current printings EXCEPT everything listed as "NEW", or are those printings completely up to date with everything listed as "NEW" in the latest errata docs?

R_J_K75

Legend
I believe that the current printing will include all the errata—the "new" stuff is what is included in the latest printing. From what I recall, WotC don't put errata out until there's a new prining of the book.
Probably going to take a trip to a local game shop and see. I know my buddy just bought a PHB last week on Amazon and its still the 10th printing.

Omand

Hero
I will chime in after what Azzy said. In theory, the most recent printing coming out of WotC will be updated with all of the Errata, and some of the errata documents call out which printing the errata started to appear in.

That said, I have noticed one thing. I was curious on the latest errata updates as I purchased the slip-cased gift set of books (all 10th printing, so the DMG & MM are up to date, but the PHB was not with the most recent changes). Checking on a copy at my local gaming store, the book was a 12th printing, but did not have all of the errata that appear in the latest PHB list. It seems that it is actually the 13th printing, not the 12th, that contains the most recent errata for the PHB.

A bit of an error/typo on the update about errors. :O

Cheers :)

R_J_K75

Legend
I will chime in after what Azzy said. In theory, the most recent printing coming out of WotC will be updated with all of the Errata, and some of the errata documents call out which printing the errata started to appear in.

That said, I have noticed one thing. I was curious on the latest errata updates as I purchased the slip-cased gift set of books (all 10th printing, so the DMG & MM are up to date, but the PHB was not with the most recent changes). Checking on a copy at my local gaming store, the book was a 12th printing, but did not have all of the errata that appear in the latest PHB list. It seems that it is actually the 13th printing, not the 12th, that contains the most recent errata for the PHB.

A bit of an error/typo on the update about errors. :O

Thanks!!

So it looks like whatever printing is listed on the errata doc is up to date minus anything marked as new.

I called the closest game store to me and they have the 10th print PHB. Im assuming depending on where you live and how much stock turn over there is when you'll see the PHB 13th printing.

Is this a case of Crawford and Mearls answering Sage Advice questions and constantly adding to the 3 core books errata? I mean 6 years into the edition and 10+ printings is a little excessive to still be adding revisions. Glad I asked and didn't waste my money.

Omand

Hero
Thanks!!

So it looks like whatever printing is listed on the errata doc is up to date minus anything marked as new.

I called the closest game store to me and they have the 10th print PHB. Im assuming depending on where you live and how much stock turn over there is when you'll see the PHB 13th printing.

Is this a case of Crawford and Mearls answering Sage Advice questions and constantly adding to the 3 core books errata? I mean 6 years into the edition and 10+ printings is a little excessive to still be adding revisions. Glad I asked and didn't waste my money.

Well, actually, it is more the case that the printing number in the PHB errata is incorrect. I did a comparison to all of the other books I own that have had errata released and they are all correct and in line with the print run numbers listed in the errata documents. Not sure why the PHB one appears to have been overlooked. The "New" items in all errata should be up to date with the printing number listed at the start of the errata document.

As to the number of printings being excessive for making revisions, I think you may be a bit harsh. The PHB was on 10th printing for the slip case box gift set which was released in 2018. By all accounts the number of printings going out the door has been huge. I had heard from my local game store that at the start of 5E they were getting second and third printing copies in very early stock shipments (within a month or two of release) due to the demand and sell through of the books.

The 10th Printing I have in my gift set has all of the current errata, except for something like 4 "New" items. Because of this I did not bother updating my PHB in the box set with a new one, just slipped in the errata sheets with the 4 "New" items highlighted. Easy enough to consult.

R_J_K75

Legend
As to the number of printings being excessive for making revisions, I think you may be a bit harsh.
Fair enough, I suppose if they are only incorporating errata into every 3rd printing or so.

The 10th Printing I have in my gift set has all of the current errata, except for something like 4 "New" items.
I counted 3 in the PHB, which you're right isn't all that bad. The DMG has a few more, but the MM has like 14 or 15. If I decide to update my copies Id rather wait until they're done revising them first though.

Remove ads