• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Latest D&D Survey Says "More Feats, Please!"; Plus New Survey About DMs Guild, Monster Hunter, Inqui

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

Find the survey results here. The most requested extra content is more feats, followed by classes, spells and races, in that order.

Uchawi

First Post
I disagree. If all classes have manoeuvres in their core, then you run the risk of all classes being complex. I stand by the opinion that 5e needs "simple" options for those who either don't want to track resources or otherwise find resource tracking too much work.

That said, subclasses that add complex manoeuvres a la the battlemaster would be a welcome addition, as well as more manoeuvres. (particularily cool stuff that aren't just dealing damage or bonus effects on attacks like what the rogue subclasses get)
I would agree with your point if the option for a simple or complex path existed in the game for any class. Otherwise, you run the risk of your favorite class being too simple or complex. Hell, I would even take a basic game of simple classes and an advanced with complex. Then at that point the table decides how to mix it up. I did not say all classes needed maneuvers or spells, it could be mutually exclusive, or a mix. You have warlocks, wizards, clerics, and sorcerers represent different choices or complexity, but still can be expanded upon with one simple concept, i.e. new spells.

Imaro

Legend
I'm disappointed that a desire for more races didn't get much love. In my feedback I stated that I wanted to see more races, especially more monstrous races. I've played the standard fantasy races so many times that I can't stand them anymore: it's sort of like when your parents catch you smoking (or drinking) and they make you smoke until you get sick and never want to do it again. Unfortunately, even the non-traditional races are getting a little stale for me. There's only so many times you can go Tiefling or Dragonborn before you long for something else. Right now I'm scratching that itch with a couple of homebrew races (slimes and merfolk, mostly), but I'd love some official monstrous races to sink my teeth into.

Have you looked at the Zendikar (think that's spelled correctly) races as well as those in Elemental Evil?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Be prepared to hate Drizzt even more. It's that character's fault that the 2e (and subsequent) ranger was the TWF king... Drizzt's original stats were made with a 1e ranger with the drow race from Unearthed Arcana (drow being inherently ambidextrous in those rules). So, when 2e rolled around the ranger got Drizzt's TWF and (apparently) drow lost their natural ambidexterity. So whereas the character was originally modeled on the 1e rules, the 2e rules were modeled on the character. Because fanboys or something.

Not true according to the designer of 2e David Cook.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Have you looked at the Zendikar (think that's spelled correctly) races as well as those in Elemental Evil?

No, I haven't looked at the MTG races yet (I just found out about them in the last reply to my post). As for the elemental evil ones, they're rather "meh" as far as being exotic. Goliath is off the list because it's just a big dude. The deep gnome is just a minor variation on the gnome, so scratch that off as well. The Aara-Coca-Cola's whole schtick is being able to fly: other than that it's basically just a human with a 1d4 natural weapon. And the genasai are basically just elemental tieflings.

Don't get me wrong, I'd pick the genasai over the traditional fantasy races any day of the week (I'd also pick the SCAG tiefling over the default tiefling any day of the week), but I'd love to see a medusa, or a mind flayer, or a marilith.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
But I appreciate having the simplified Fighter (Champion) for many reasons. And I think the spellcasting option (EK) and the more complex option (BM)* are great for core options.

I like the Champion and Eldritch Knight. It's the Battle Master that really is the problem... It's a good subclass, but it's lacking. Mainly, it needs more diverse maneuvers, as well as more powerful maneuvers for higher levels—right now, all their maneuvers are appropriate for 3rd level and are less than level appropriate for higher levels. Even the Way of the Four Elements Monk and the Warlock have abilities/invocations that are reserved for higher levels.

So, I have an observation and a question stemming from it. By the way, feel free to tell me it's ridiculous if need be, maybe I'm just new....

Looking at this discussion there seems to be quite a bit of negativity towards the idea of more options in general when they're for the player, with some outright stating that this is one of the biggest ways to impact tables in a bad way. Why is that? I'm primarily a player myself, and don't really understand the hostility. I love making characters, mechanically and through narrative, and every time Wizards releases an expansion to character options my field of possible characters and experiences in 5E gets bigger and better. What's wrong with that? Has it always been this way?

Some folks can't differentiate between the overwhelming glut of published books in prior editions and the trickle we've received for 5E. There is no happy medium with them, anything beyond adventures will mark the downfall of the edition. Others may be DMs who can't pony up and tell their players NO concerning new options. Some may be bitter cheapskates who spent too much money on Pathfinder. Some may have all the options they want, and adding something you might like is surely superfluous. In the end, they'll simply say that what is best about 5E is having nothing to buy. Oh, yes, and the lack of options will pave the way for 5E to last forever, or at least as long as possible. I've never met one of these persons in the flesh, but their presence on the boards shows their existence is true ;). At least some at WOTC haven't completely lost their minds, and will eventually support the edition, hopefully before folks lose interest in it.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I'm disappointed that a desire for more races didn't get much love. In my feedback I stated that I wanted to see more races, especially more monstrous races. I've played the standard fantasy races so many times that I can't stand them anymore: it's sort of like when your parents catch you smoking (or drinking) and they make you smoke until you get sick and never want to do it again. Unfortunately, even the non-traditional races are getting a little stale for me. There's only so many times you can go Tiefling or Dragonborn before you long for something else. Right now I'm scratching that itch with a couple of homebrew races (slimes and merfolk, mostly), but I'd love some official monstrous races to sink my teeth into.

It may be true for some people that "There's only so many times you can play X race." For others, the possibilities are endless, decades later I can still think of interesting ideas and stories for the most basic classes. I have never been accused of being "cult of the new" though. Heck, I am still thinking about stories that involve HUMANS of all things, despite how "played out" they are on T.V, movies, literature, etc :p

Some folks can't differentiate between the overwhelming glut of published books in prior editions and the trickle we've received for 5E.

Really, these people exist? Could you point me to an example of this rare specimen so I can try to understand it?

There is no happy medium with them, anything beyond adventures will mark the downfall of the edition.

I don't think I have ever heard this either, where are these people?

Others may be DMs who can't pony up and tell their players NO concerning new options.

I can understand "Prefer to not have to" but "can't"? Strange.

Some may be bitter cheapskates who spent too much money on Pathfinder.

Now I hope this isn't referring to anyone particular, as it seems to be an unwarranted insult. I suppose someone who spent "too" much money on pathfinder might consider the slow release design intention of 5e to be a relief. I don't see how that makes them "bitter cheapskates" though. Personally I spent essentially nothing on Pathfinder, but love the limited releases of 5e.

Some may have all the options they want, and adding something you might like is surely superfluous.

I suppose someone who is completely satisfied with 5e as it is in it's currently very successful state might say that, but that would indeed be a rare individual.

In the end, they'll simply say that what is best about 5E is having nothing to buy.

I sincerely doubt you will find many who think that, in... you know, that thing we call reality. "The BEST thing", really? You might hear a lot of people say "One of the best things about 5e is that I don't feel the need to buy anything more.", or something along those lines, and misinterpret it because of your bias.

Oh, yes, and the lack of options will pave the way for 5E to last forever, or at least as long as possible. I've never met one of these persons in the flesh, but their presence on the boards shows their existence is true ;).

So you are saying these people are here on these boards? I haven't been here long but have not seen anything of the kind, if you aren't just making this up, you could show where someone who fits your strange description exists.

At least some at WOTC haven't completely lost their minds, and will eventually support the edition, hopefully before folks lose interest in it.

Nope, don't see anyone losing their minds, they all are pretty much satisfied. Looks like for the near future 5e is sticking to it's guns and following the path it set out on from the beginning.

MechaPilot

Explorer
It may be true for some people that "There's only so many times you can play X race." For others, the possibilities are endless, decades later I can still think of interesting ideas and stories for the most basic classes. I have never been accused of being "cult of the new" though. Heck, I am still thinking about stories that involve HUMANS of all things, despite how "played out" they are on T.V, movies, literature, etc :p

Everyone's tolerance for playing the same races is different. And, it's not as if I can't make characters that are interesting and possibly fun using the classic fantasy races. It really just depends on the tolerance for weirdness that any given DM has, because the standard fantasy stuff doesn't really appeal to me unless I twist it into something different.

Awesome Adam

First Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd pick the genasai over the traditional fantasy races any day of the week (I'd also pick the SCAG tiefling over the default tiefling any day of the week), but I'd love to see a medusa, or a mind flayer, or a marilith.

Those are all monster races that are so powerful most Dungeon Masters would never allow them at the table as PCs.

If that's what you are looking for, 3rd Edition had monsters broken down into PC levels and guidelines for how to do it with mosnter races not already covered. Those same guidelines could be applied to 5E versions of the monsters.

I let a few players use those rules in 3E, and it was servicable, but I would never allow a PC to play a race like Medusa or Mindflayer with save or die abilities useable every round.

Remove ads

Remove ads