Latest D&D Survey Says "More Feats, Please!"; Plus New Survey About DMs Guild, Monster Hunter, Inqui

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

Find the survey results here. The most requested extra content is more feats, followed by classes, spells and races, in that order.

The 4E figther must have had hundreds of powers to choose from at the end, so the desing space is definitely there.

Well, yes and no.

(Necessary caveat: I am a fan of all editions. This is not meant as a slam on any of them. :p )

4E did, indeed, have a lot of martial powers. But a huge number of them boiled down to "hit more or hit harder" and "do some sort of individual foe control--pushing, knocking prone, dazing, etc.--in addition to hitting." That's a lot less design space than it looks like, because it's a lot of powers to do various combinations of the same thing, or even exactly the same thing just at higher potency.

Is there room for more maneuvers in 5E? Absolutely. Is there room for nearly as many as 4E? No, there really isn't. Is there room for something like 3E's Book of 9 Swords? Only if you're willing to let your fighters get into blatantly supernatural design space. Some people are okay with that; some aren't. I, personally, would prefer not to go there with anything that claims to be a purely non-magical class. I would be more okay with it if it billed itself as a supernatural melee class; an armed and armored monk-equivalent, say.

What I'd like to see is an expanded maneuver list for the battle master, with some maneuvers that have a minimum level (or perhaps minimum size of maneuver dice) requirement. Then we could have an attack that hits more than one target, or an attack that does damage and dazes a foe, or what have you. But anything approaching the size or specificity of a spellcaster's spell list? No, thank you.

Imaro

Legend
Not much versatility. 3 maneuvers is very little when compared to the spell list of a caster. They tend to have as many cantrips as that by that level. Like I said, I consider Riposte, Precision Attack, and Trip Attack to be such generally useful choices that you'll almost always take them (unless you're a bow-fighter, then you will likely skip Riposte).

See I disagree with you already... Menacing Attack...Frightened condition (disadv on ability checks and attack rolls & controlled movement) to me is a much better choice than Riposte, but to each their own.

As for versatility... well yeah, maneuvers aren't spells they are martial techniques and thus centered around fighting... so no, they won't be as versatile as spells... luckily for those who want spells we have the EK.

Finally if you want more maneuvers then there's a feat for that and it ups your # of superiority dice as well.

Consider. The Sword Coast Adventure Guide cantrips "Green-flame Blade" and "Booming Blade" are weapon-based cantrips that have effects that are very comparable to the effects you might expect to see on maneuvers, but they are at-will and having scaling damage. It's not a perfect comparison for a variety of reasons, but it's enough to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Sweeping Attack to Green-flame Blade. I mean, come on.

Surprise... surprise I disagree again... they really aren't comparable IMO...

Booming Blade
1. Limit you to one attack as they are spells not melee attacks... Maneuvers don't limit the # of attacks or how many times you can use them if an attack hits in a round
2. BB does an extra 1d8 dmg if the target moves... Maneuvers do 1d8 damage (superiority dice) + an effect without requiring the target to move

Green-Flame Blade
1. See above
2. Does extra ability modifier to a creature within 5ft of the first creature you attacked with it... Really, how about you use that maneuver that ups your AC against OA and dish out multiple attacks on both targets for no cost with an extra 1d8 dmg on each + effect.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how these are comparable at all...

Not as big as a gap as you might think, given the oft-quoted problem with bounded accuracy and ability checks. Being proficient in something doesn't actually improve the odds of success that much. In very extreme cases, like an 8 non-proficient vs. a 20 proficient, sure, there's a noticeable gap. But that's more of an outlier than a useful example.

No it's not an outlier when using the standard array... characters will have dump stats that have an 8 (like strength for a wizard or a knowledge cleric) and they will (for the most part) maximize their primary abilities like (strength/dexterity for a fighter)...So my point still stands. You claiming this is an outlier does make me curious though... do you think most wizards spend ASI's increasing their strength... and moreso to the point where there's little difference between them and a fighter??

I gave one specific example of such, actually: grappling. Grappling is not covered or aided by any maneuver. And it's definitely a combat-oriented concern. You could boost grappling and shoving by aiding Athletics checks related to specific actions (Grappling, Shoving, Climbing other creatures, etc), and it wouldn't even interfere with a non-combat pillar, though I don't think it'd do all that much harm if it was a general boost to Athletics.

Okay on the one hand you complain that too many of the manuevers aren't generally applicable... but then you argue for a narrow maneuver that helps a specific action... color me confused. That's exactly why I'm asking about design space. It's easy to create a bunch of narrow specific maneuvers... but is anyone going to pick them over the one's already there? Especially with a limited number? If not then it's just bloat if you create them.

Anything that would be hypothetically released at this point wouldn't be core.

Fair enough I thought we were talking about the BM in core... and what you would have liked to have seen. My bad.

Rogue and bard have expertise, which doubles the proficiency bonus to Athletics. Bards can increase their bonuses on top of this via Enlarge/Reduce or Enhance Ability, 2nd-level spells. Rogues have Cunning Action, which can be used to Dash, and therefore increase the distance you can drag targets while grappling (remember, when you have grappled another creature, you can move at half speed, and move the other creature with you). I consider that to be quite important because the grappler focuses more on controlling the flow of battle than huge damage, and grappling opponents so you can drag them over to a cliff side and shove them off, for example, is one thing you can do with that (or into pits, into harmful spell effects, etc). The barbarian can Rage, which gives them advantage on all Strength-related checks, including Athletics, and get a minor boost to speed besides.

Well first the Rogue would have to be proficient in Athletics... Then pick athletics as one of his finite expertise choices... his highest attribute is going Dex and second is probably Con so let's say 13 in strength for a +1... he's not going to waste his first 2 ASI's on strength, he's going Dex.. so at 8th level, assuming proficiency and a 13 in Strength he's got a +7

Meanwhile Fighter who has increased his Strength to 20 (+5) and has prof in Athletics has a +3 for a +8... o he's still ahead of the Rogue who spent a finite class ability to be a better grappler...

Now granted the Rogue could devote his first 2 ASI's and expertise and put his best ability score in strength... but at that point it's costing him so much that it's honestly not worth it... and even then he only outclasses the fighter by +3 and he's made himself a sub par rogue. I guess that could be worth it to someone... but talk about outliers.

I also don't understand why if you're bringing spells into it... you also aren't bringing maneuvers into it? You seem so focused on the ability check that you are ignoring the possibilities beyond that for a BM... especially since you can still attack 1-handed with a grapple.

All three classes have innate ways to improve their Athletics checks, and the bard and rogue have significant additional advantages besides that. The fighter cannot boost its Athletics check on its own, the best it can say is that it can Action Surge for additional movement/tries every so often, or it eventually scales up to a large number of attacks for more attempts to grapple (has to wait a long time for that though).

The question isn't how much can they improve their athletics... it's how many of these resources are they spending to match or barely exceed the fighter's natural ability?

I would not say the battle master is bad balance-wise. I do think it's a bit weak, and I think it'd be evident if, say, I were to temporarily allow a battle master's superiority dice to recharge at the start of each turn. As far as the dice recharging at the start of each turn goes, it was actually like that for a significant portion of the playtest, and didn't seem to break anything!

But that's just a thought experiment. Maybe it would go horribly wrong. I doubt it, but maybe.

I would say alot of the Battlemasters "power" comes from creative tactical usage of his maneuvers... If you're not using them strategically with the others in your party then you probably come off a little weak... on the other hand if you're maximizing them and coordinating well with your party... you can be a real powerhouse.

I'm not proposing any more "fiddly narrow options" than the spell list provides a full caster. I would actually use the EK or perhaps Paladin as a baseline if I was to design the class myself, but with its own list instead of simply drawing in a limited form from the wizard list (or having the paladin's focus on buffing/healing).

But we have a fighter who draws from the wizard list... the design space has been used and it's in the core for anyone to take... why do I want a(nother) fighter with spells... that aren't called spells?

Imaro

Legend
The 4E figther must have had hundreds of powers to choose from at the end, so the desing space is definitely there. However, further research into such potent martial powers are prohibited under the terms of the 2013 Treaty of Seattle, which put an end to the Edition Wars.

Well, yes and no.

(Necessary caveat: I am a fan of all editions. This is not meant as a slam on any of them. :p )

4E did, indeed, have a lot of martial powers. But a huge number of them boiled down to "hit more or hit harder" and "do some sort of individual foe control--pushing, knocking prone, dazing, etc.--in addition to hitting." That's a lot less design space than it looks like, because it's a lot of powers to do various combinations of the same thing, or even exactly the same thing just at higher potency.

[MENTION=6854936]Sorcerers Apprentice[/MENTION] ... that logic doesn't really hold
[MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] touches on what I was getting at... But also the specific powers that were required for different builds... like the later 2-weapon fighter (who needed a whole new range of powers because none of the original facilitated fighting with 2 weapons (yet all BM maneuvers already incorporate that style), or the specific weapon powers that did similar things but one was for a sword and one was for a mace or something like that (again the only distinction in BM maneuvers as far as weapons go is ranged or melee).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Is there room for more maneuvers in 5E? Absolutely.
In 5e? hugely more. In the BM, specifically? maybe not so much. BM maneuvers necessarily tack onto a high-damage round of extra attacks. That limits the range of things they can do, since they can't trade-off that DPR for something else, and always have it to fall back on, even if they could use some rest-recharge mechanic instead of, rather than as well as, extra attack.
Is there room for something like 3E's Book of 9 Swords? Only if you're willing to let your fighters get into blatantly supernatural design space.
It's not like Bo9S took the Fighter anywhere - it introduced new classes. One of them, the Warlblade, was not, AFAIK, supernatural. Could 5e do with some more classes, maybe one like the Warblade? Sure, it has a paucity of non- caster/magical options. Maybe not anything like a direct port of the Warblade, but something.

I would be more okay with it if it billed itself as a supernatural melee class
We already have the Paladin, Ranger, EK, War Cleric, Valor Bard, Bladelock, and even Bladesinger - not to mention the option of modular 3e-style multiclassing. We hardly need another supernatural melee class. I suppose you could wedge a Duskblade or Swordmage in sideways somewhere, but Gish is not exactly an under-served/un-explored concept in 5e.

What I'd like to see is an expanded maneuver list for the battle master, with some maneuvers that have a minimum level (or perhaps minimum size of maneuver dice) requirement.
There's not a lot of room for more maneuvers as they're currently structured. But, level-gating could at least create a second set (or, with some re-jiggering of BM features several sets) to choose from, so later maneuvers wouldn't be bottom-of-the barrel choices. Even that might require some errata of the BM sub-class.

Then we could have an attack that hits more than one target, or an attack that does damage and dazes a foe, or what have you. But anything approaching the size or specificity of a spellcaster's spell list? No, thank you.
Is that 'no thank you' in the sense it wouldn't be for you, or in the sense you begrudge anyone else the option of availing themselves of such a thing? I'm guessing the former, but I thought I'd ask...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A net or additional +/-1 relative to the curve is a +/-1, no amount of 'tude changes that. Pulling in the curve doesn't change that, if anything, it makes any modifier seem that much more significant.

Yeah, but so what. It's true that a +1 means more when it's not accounted for by the game math. It's equally true that the same +1 is 100% unnecessary due it not being in the game math. If you want to waste your feats on +s that you don't need, more power to you. I'm going to get me some feats useful for other things and that fit my character concept.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, but so what. It's true that a +1 means more when it's not accounted for by the game math. It's equally true that the same +1 is 100% unnecessary due it not being in the game math.
Whether you're hitting 5% more or less often because you're cruising along with 'the game math' or thinking outside that box makes no difference.
If you don't want a particular +1, it's 100% unnecessary, whatever the hypothetical math may say.
Free will and all.

Both games are D&D, so if that design space has gone missing then something went seriously wrong in development.
It's not that there's design space missing from 5e, far from it, it's much-expanded. It's that the design space left open to a fighter sub-class, and particularly, to BM-style maneuvers, is pretty tightly constrained. When they decided to make the fighter 'best at fighting' by giving it excellent at-will DPR, they didn't leave it a lot of room for other things. Even then, though, there's some openings. Consider the EK - when he casts a regular action spell, he doesn't make any extra attacks, so he is, to a small extent, trading-off his DPR (for that round) for the much greater flexibility of casting. He still has that DPR to fall back on when none of his spells apply, so it's not like it opened up a lot of space for him, but more than the BM. BM maneuvers mostly tack onto a full attack routine, all the BM gives up, action-economy-wise, is a bonus action. Since they're not trading-off that DPR class crown jewel, even for so much as a round, they have very little room to be flexible or significant, and much more limited design space.

There's just not a lot to be gained in trying to flog more out of the Fighter chassis or BM design. They'd have back up and try again with a new martial class, entirely, if they're to access anything like the design space you're alluding to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads