Unearthed Arcana Latest Unearthed Arcana Introduces Rogue & Ranger Archetypes

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I though all of these looked pretty good. Horizon Walker gets some pretty neat teleports, and a ribbon ability that will be pretty cool if you have portals to other planes in your campaign. My favorite of the three.

JRedmond

Explorer
I have no idea what top posting is. I am replying to your post through the site.

I'd say that's a sensible ruling, but nothing in the rules actually prevents a PC from carrying an extra large weapon and bringing it out when in guardian form, so you could probably get this past a lot of DMs. Pick a race with the "large frame" trait to gain the carrying capacity of a Large creature if that's what it takes to convince the DM that it's reasonable.

Also, would you please stop top posting? This is a forum not email. :)

mellored

Legend
I like all 3,

Especially the guardian form's at-will bonus action toggle. It would be cool to see more stances like that for other classes.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I like that the Forest Guardian gives you a way to play the class that is completely different from other Rangers. I like when subclasses do that. I think it makes the subclass decision really meaningful.

Because they're not. His interpretation of the rule is correct. Just because you become "large" does not mean your damage dice is doubled.

Also, holy cow that Guardian form is OP. Allies automatically gain HP at START of turn within 30ft? That means your allies are essentially unkillable because they get healing before they start their turn. That feature definitely needs to be toned down.

Meh. At 15th level, that trick is already possible via Regeneration spell; and Lore Bards have been doing essentially the same thing to their allies since 6th level w/ Aura of Vitality. Variant humans may have been doing it since level 1 with the Healer feat.

You're still vulnerable to insta-death, and getting grappled/kidnapped by a dragon to kill in isolation (away from help, including the aura); you're still vulnerable to petrification from a Medusa, or brain-eating by an Intellect Devourer, or getting Plane Shifted by a Rakshasa to the Elemental Plane of Fire, or getting shredded by a horde of zombies who auto-crit you to death and then start eating you on the same turn you go down to zero HP.

It's not OP compared to what's already in the game, IMO. It's not even that exciting.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases