D&D (2024) Lawful, Chaotic, and Neutral touched species.

Do you want a Lawful, Chaotic, and/or Neutral touched species.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Khayal I did find these guys. But there is no official mention of them producing any Planetouched descendants. If they did, I could see them siring Shadow Genasi. ;)
Hmm. Shadow elementals. It's something of which I've considered the existence, like how I prefer to think of Ungoliant. If she could give birth to the giant spiders, I suppose shadow genies could produce genasi.

Hmm. Shadow elementals. It's something of which I've considered the existence, like how I prefer to think of Ungoliant. If she could give birth to the giant spiders, I suppose shadow genies could produce genasi.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Even though elves and half-elves have "Fey Ancestry", elves aren't fey. They're humanoids, which, to me, means they’re natives of the prime material plane. They were befriended by certain of the fey from early on in their history, which left an imprint on their culture and epigenetic expression, but they are not the same people.

For a literary distinction between a fey-touched human and a (non fey-touched) half-elf, I might look at Aragorn, son of Arathorn, versus Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth. Legolas noticed Imrahil's elven ancestry at the meeting held in Aragorn's tent in Chapter 9 of Book 5 of the LotR, while many recognized Aragorn as the rightful king, possibly in part due to his divine lineage -- a sort of “divine right” made manifest through his descent from Melian the Maia.

Fey Ancestry grants resistance to charm which is a good start for a fey-touched humanoid, but to distinguish them from elves, I’d focus on other fey-like abilities like general magical resistance, ability to charm/put to sleep, ability to become invisible, etc. There are many, and you could take your pick I suppose.

ETA: Something like the sprite's Heart Sight would be a good trait for a fey-touched race, IMO.
on-sight fey recognition would be a cool ability, though i don't know if it would be much more than a ribbon ability, i think something like a racial two-way geas ability to simulate how the fey are intimately bound by contracts and deals, you can make agreements with others that form a magical seal, and if one of the particpatants tries to break the deal they have to make a wisdom check or recieve damage, and the other participatant immediately knows the deal was broken

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
That's why I said "possibly" human. I think the concept needs to at least allow for human as the blank slate onto which the hybrid is grafted to be equivalent to tiefling and aasimar. Otherwise, if we're ruling human out, then I think we're talking about something else.

These are all interesting ideas. Like I said, I'm not crazy about the construct aspect of modrons or their creations, but assuming its an aspect that players are interested in exploring, a lot could be done with it involving a human or humanoid bloodline infected with nanobots, for example.
is 5.5 going to have sub-races/species? i feel like a good implementation for all the planes-touched species specifically would be to have the tiefling/aasimar/law/chaos/ect... species templates that exclusively exists as a subrace/collection of subraces for each species and can be attached to any other species main species template, 'i'm going to be a gnome, but instead of being rock or forest gnome, i'm going to be a gnome-tiefling'

is 5.5 going to have sub-races/species? i feel like a good implementation for all the planes-touched species specifically would be to have the tiefling/aasimar/law/chaos/ect... species templates that exclusively exists as a subrace/collection of subraces for each species and can be attached to any other species main species template, 'i'm going to be a gnome, but instead of being rock or forest gnome, i'm going to be a gnome-tiefling'
I hope so. ;) There are the versatile heritages in Pathfinder 2nd edition for anyone wanting to play a Gnome Tiefling. But they are more like 1st-level feats than templates.

Clint_L

Hero
I don't understand this.

Aasimar are not all good. Tieflings arenot all evil. But aasimar have the powers of the upper planes and tieflings of the lower.

Couldn't a being be tied to the lawful planes or creatures but be chaotic and individualistic.
I don't have alignments anywhere, including on other planes. Bahamut? Not a "good" guy by most standards, at least in my settings (though he certainly sees himself as an arbiter of all that is right and just). Alignments don't exist in my settings, period, any more than they do in real life. There are just behaviours, cultures, choices, contexts. Good stories require believable characters, that's all.

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
on-sight fey recognition would be a cool ability, though i don't know if it would be much more than a ribbon ability,
I think a likely implementation of something like this would be the ability to cast detect evil and good, beginning at second level, and detect thoughts, beginning at third.

i think something like a racial two-way geas ability to simulate how the fey are intimately bound by contracts and deals, you can make agreements with others that form a magical seal, and if one of the particpatants tries to break the deal they have to make a wisdom check or recieve damage, and the other participatant immediately knows the deal was broken
There's a wide variety of fey, but if that fits your conception, it could work but would need to be extremely limited considering geas is a 5th-level spell.

It seems like the design is going in the opposite direction from this sort of modularity.

Last edited:

Remove ads