Legacy of the Silver Dragon - Off to See the Goblins

Voda Vosa

First Post
By far the shortest of the gathering, Muzdim looks back at each logger with his penetrating black eyes. He wanted to let them know he meant business. To the only seemingly friendly man, he says "He's a prisoner. We are taking him as part of our mission." To empathize his point, the dwarf jerks the goblin's bindings.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Ah," hesitantly tries to insert the tall, robed mage with a look of deep apology towards Glarmlok for actions not his own. "Things are- perhaps more- involved than master Stonehand's answer could suggest? For we are all victims-intended in this plot, good loggers - and dwarf - in a very real way, goodgoblin Glarmlok included? He was lied to, in a gambit to sent Ascadar to war with his people." There is still some righteous disbelief fresh in his tone there...

He looks left, and then right... and it seems there is no escaping this after all. "Would... Would you be interested to hear the full story? Perhaps over a bowl of this fine-smelling soup while we rest road-weary feet? For as I said, we have come straight from fair Ascadar on urgent mission from the council."

gambler1650

Explorer
The loggers nod somewhat approvingly at Muzdim's explanation, or at least most do. Others furrow their brows a bit at the explanation the elf provides however, but most mutter "As long as he stays bound... and outside of our sleeping areas." Any possible confrontation seems averted for now, although two loggers do take Antares up on the offer and pull up a couple of rough stools to sit on near the party by one of the large campfires. One is a young man, barely out of his teens - someone that Stellan has often hung out with too late into an evening with a few too many drinks. The other is a grizzled older man, one eye completely white and the other usually squinting fiercely.

After the story is told with a few questions, the younger man claps Stellan on the shoulder and says "Come by the shelter I'm staying in. I have some ale we can share. If it hasn't been stolen at least." And he wanders off. The grizzled man finishes the bowl of simple but hearty fare, spiced heavily with one of the savory herbs that grow rampant in the area. He sets it aside and eyes the goblin who wisely enough has kept his mouth shut, and head down for the most part.

"You could almost feel sorry for that thing. Remember though, they were gullible enough to fall for the trick to attack Gregof. They didn't ask many questions, so they probably don't have much sorrow in attacking the good races such as ourselves. They aren't moral. Not in the way we are. You might forge an alliance of some sort, but they'll do it because they either think you're stronger, or that you can give them something better than they were promised."

He pulls out a pipe, holds the end up to the fire after tamping some tobacco into it, and starts puffing before offering it to anyone else in the party who might want it - except for the goblin whom he ignores.

Binder Fred

Any possible confrontation seems averted for now,
which is a good thing. (For a dozen heartbeats there, he wondered if he should not have, perhaps, kept quiet after all... The elf breathes a long, suppressed sigh of relief.)

although two loggers do take Antares up on the offer and pull up a couple of rough stools to sit on near the party by one of the large campfires.
Antares tries to keep it as simple as he can -- a skill he has obviously far from mastered... But with Beatrix's help and Stellan's occasional re-directs, they communally somehow manage to stick to the central concept of a Dark Man bent on evil against their common town. Kidnapping goblin children for his dark experiments. Fomenting chaos in the town proper. Captain Gregoff, champion of Law and righteousness, gets in his way. Lying to the goblin elders about the children the Dark Man himself kidnapped, leading to the attempt on the good captain's life! Mandate from the council to sue for peace, to unite against the evil that this man plans for them all!

After the story is told with a few questions, [...]

"You might forge an alliance of some sort, but they'll do it because they either think you're stronger, or that you can give them something better than they were promised."
"And this is different from what you have lived with the other races?" inquires Antares after a pause but with genuine interest, even hope...

(He is always glad to share in the knowledge of others, certainly, and in this case the memory of what happened in that underground temple is also still so very fresh... That memory of how slim the sorrow of even the good races can be.)

A raised hand and slight smile politely refuses the offered pipe.

OOC: Can they obtain some broth and bread as well, Gambler? If so Antares will offer Glarmlok some as well.

gambler1650

Explorer
The logger shifts, with a slight groan - unsurprising given the hard work they tend to do throughout the day.

"Wise words, my young, pointed ear friend. But I would hope that Ascadar at least is evidence that strength and greed are not always the primary motivators among the good people of our world." A shadow seems to pass across his face at the words, "Not that all those in Ascadar are untouched by such motivations." He smiles slightly at the refusal of the pipe, "Just as well. You probably don't need a hairy back." Stellan, who had been puffing away at the pipe coughs and wheezes, and somewhat hastily passes it over to Beatrix who bemusedly takes a few puffs.

Bread and broth are available. Glarmlok refuses the bread outright, but the broth he greedily slurps down, "Better if had raw meat. And blood. But not bad human food." it offers, cringing somewhat as if expecting a response to it talking.

OOC: Let me know what the plans are for the night. You're offered a tent - small for the party, but the foreman of the day indicates that not enough loggers will be willing to share one of the barracks with the goblin. Spots are open however in the barracks if not all of you want to sleep crowded together in a tent made for about 3 people (Antares, Muzdim, Stellan, Beatrix and goblin make 5).

Voda Vosa

First Post
Muzdim sets his own pipe, silent at the exchange. The fact they've gotten logging and food for free was a surprise, good enough not to spoil with his comments and discussions about the relationship humans have with other races, in his opinion, not very different of what the old man thinks of the goblins. He rolls his eyes as Antares treats the goblin, Glarmlok, as if he was more than a prisoner. He despised that face, even though his logical dwarf mind told him it was in their best interest to have a friendly goblin who could be a good interloped with the goblin elders.
At the offer of the tent, the dwarf grunts. "It would be better if Stellan and myself accommodate in some of the other tents, leaving Antares and Sister Beatrix with the goblin." Antares seemed to be a logical choice to remain with the goblin, and so was Beatrix, who first coerced the goblins into cooperation. Stellan already had a tent partner, and himself, well, he didn't want to be crowded with a smelly goblin!

Binder Fred

Bread and broth are available. Glarmlok refuses the bread outright, but the broth he greedily slurps down, "Better if had raw meat. And blood. But not bad human food." it offers, cringing somewhat as if expecting a response to it talking.
Best not to notice, thinks the elf: build his confidence. "You should perhaps try the bread with some of this, goodgoblin Glarmlok?" Antares offers him a lick of salty yellow butter. "A combination of tastes some have termed heavenly?"

Back to the older gentleman... "'Not always'... is the best we can hope for then?" And most of that under the guidance of the august silver dragoness... Are we then too young to rule ourselves now that the grownups no longer watch over our play? A look at the goblin eating his butter straight <I'm going to assume :D though I could be wrong, of course>: a difference of 'age' rather than nature?

At the offer of the tent, the dwarf grunts. "It would be better if Stellan and myself accommodate in some of the other tents, leaving Antares and Sister Beatrix with the goblin."
Antares' reaction is somewhat different: sudden alarm, and is that the sudden rush of rosy blood under pale skin? "That- I- That is... I do not think it is- entirely appropriate to suggest-" then, in a loud whisper as if hoping she would somehow not hear: "Might I remind you all that sister Merryburg is a lady?"

OOC: Antares himself doesn't mind sleeping outside -- mostly because he has no idea how uncomfortable it can be, never having done it before. :)

gambler1650

Explorer
Getting to his feet after a last puff from his pipe, the older logger stands and rotates an arm in its socket to get some kinks out. "I believe so, young master elf." he says to Antares' last question. "I need to be taking a rest shortly." He sighs a touch as he watches the goblin licking its hands after devouring the butter, "And good luck."

As he wanders off, and as you discuss sleeping arrangements, the party can hear other conversations at other fires. A few words overheard indicate the main discussions seem to be about the attack on Ascadar and the goblin. Beatrix, having managed to get a second helping of broth and bread, stretches and eyes Antares, "I am not worried about your attentions Antares. And you don't need to be worried about mine. I be sleeping as soon as we go inside the tent."

Stellan glances over towards one group around the fire, "I may hang out with some of my friends here for awhile. Maybe also get more of an idea of how people are feeling about things in Ascadar."

OOC: So, Goblin + Antares + Beatrix in the tent, Muzdim and later Stellan in the barracks is the plan? Assuming Antares is reassured by the good sister?

Binder Fred

"I am not worried about your attentions Antares. And you don't need to be worried about mine. I be sleeping as soon as we go inside the tent."
Uncertainty passes like a strong wind across Antares' delicate features: He's not sure, but is- is somebody being slighted here? Is it him? Both of them? "I'm- I'm fairly sure I should be asserting... something here, lady Merryburg? I am not the ugliest of elves, I have been told, certainly, and you are-" And how does one complete that sentence, once started? "- a beautiful lady of- noble courage." It takes everything he has not to put his usual questioning lilt at the end there, but he somehow, heroically manages. "And I am a mage?"

He looks down, avoiding her gaze (and he is definitively blushing now): "Just- just so long as that is understood."

Stellan glances over towards one group around the fire, "I may hang out with some of my friends here for awhile. Maybe also get more of an idea of how people are feeling about things in Ascadar."
"Please," gratefully nods his elven friend, whose curiosity on that subject - nonobstant other pressing matters en cours - is fairly burning.

"What of you, goblin Stoneburner?" he asks once they've settled for the night and Beatrix, true to her words, falls asleep on the spot (or at the least rolls over and gives that impression). He, on the other hand, despite his fatigue is used to late nights over candlelit parchments, and is still somewhat on edge from the day's events as well. Not to mention tomorrow's! "What are your thoughts on this quest for peace? And how do you think your people will welcome news of the Dark Man's -ah" he almost says 'machinations', but then changes it to: "the Dark Man's dark plans?"

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Beatrix looks at Antares with open amusement as he stumbles through his reply. "Yes. I am most certainly beautiful. It is result of much food blessed by Malborka. Maybe when you are certain that you are a mage, rather than asking me whether you are one, then you will worry when we are alone together."

Glarmlok just stares at Antares and says, "Talking too much. Tired." and curls into a ball on the ground of the tent. The night is peaceful enough, the smell of smoke in the air from the campfires is mixed with that of the savory food. Overhead, the sky has a few clouds here and there, but the main moon and one of the two smaller ones shine at half full, one of the brighter constellations between them for a beautiful stellar conjunction.

[sblock=For Muzdim]
Later, with Muzdim settled in and sleeping, he's awoken by Antares who whispers hurridley. "Muzdim. Get them out of here. Some men are drunk and working up to taking the goblin and going through whoever is in their way. I'll try to keep them uncertain for a bit longer and catch up with you later if I can."[/sblock]

Remove ads