• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game -- IC01

Insight

Adventurer
Doc Hannigan gets to thinking, and remembers all of the "plague medicine" that's in the cargo hold for the Trotherias of Centry. He didn't even have time to open any of the crates and look at the stuff! Doc remembers that when the big dumb oafs were loading the stuff back on Glisten, he overheard them saying something about, 'Why would anybody want so much Moon Grass?'

Doc Hannigan wanders into the cargo hold and begins checking the crates.

[sblock=ooc]Honestly, I'm not sure what to do here. Does Doc think that there's some kind of problem with the medicine?[/sblock]

grufflehead

First Post
'Rowlf?' said Gruffle, partly in surprise, partly in annoyance. One minute, he'd been checking on one of the inertial dampeners, the next he'd found himself lying in a heap beside an overflow conduit. Ruefully rubbing his muzzle, he let out a combination of sigh and bark as he realised that Danni was obviously taking the ship through some maneuvres. He didn't mind that she was testing to see if the new relay array he had fitted to the aftside thruster was fully functional, he just wished she'd tell him before she did it so he could strap himself in.

As he picked himself up, he spotted for the first time that the emergency light he had fitted over the central console was winking at him. Reluctantly he switched off his f-Audio player, and pulled the stimbuds out of his ears. Having finally found a recording of Yondal Sinoporkosian's skiz quartet Greatest Hits, he'd been listening to it constantly while carrying out the latest batch of routine system upgrades. The smooth tones of Zax Cfthed's hyper-viola helped relieve the monotony; he truly was a magician on the 9 string.

But the fact that the light was on meant there was something amiss somewhere... He scooted nimbly over to the commport and buzzed the system. 'What's going on up there?' he asked.

Leif

Adventurer
Opening Gambit - Approach to Centry

Zoe is treated to a horrid chorus of wailing howls from the comm, as she deftly completes her maneuver.
[sblock=Shayuri]Excellent job! Well worth the wait, too.[/sblock]
[sblock=GM only]1 for everyone[/sblock]

[sblock=Doc]Doc finds the crates filled to capacity with strangely purplish leaves that emit an odd, pungent odor that quickly fills the hold. It certainly doesn't look, smell, or seem like any medicine that he's ever seen before. Acting on a hunch, he places a bit of one violet leaf in his mouth. Mmmm, he thinks, I could get used to this! [sblock]make a Health check, please? (Don't worry, just trust me, ok?)[/sblock][/sblock]
Guess all we need now is some anti-missile fire from Spider. Scratch that, let's get this show on the road, what say?

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
[sblock=Doc]Doc finds the crates filled to capacity with strangely purplish leaves that emit an odd, pungent odor that quickly fills the hold. It certainly doesn't look, smell, or seem like any medicine that he's ever seen before. Acting on a hunch, he places a bit of one violet leaf in his mouth. Mmmm, he thinks, I could get used to this! [sblock]make a Health check, please? (Don't worry, just trust me, ok?)[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]3d6=12 assuming that's against Doc's HT of 11, that's a failure by 1.[/sblock]

Doc tastes the leaves and tries to recall where he'd tasted that before. Sure seemed familiar. "Seems like that tequila I had on Mariteste. Well, not quite. Still, not for medicinal purposes. Heh."

[sblock=OOC]Can Doc make a Pharmacy check to see if he can figure out what this is? Doc's specialty is in "Synthetic", so I suppose this will default to Biology -5, which is 8.

3d6=12

LOL no clue I guess.[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Opening Gambit - Arrival at Centry

[sblock=Doc]
Actually, you made the check successfully. Barely. Doc doesn't like the taste of the purplish leaves, and the stuff threatens to come back up, but Doc controls his reflux reflex and keeps it down. He knows that this alien stuff is in the same family as cortizone -- it should have some effect upon the skin, but more investigation will be required for him to know just how or what.
[/sblock]

The Vargr missiles fail to get even remotely close to the Zax and detonate harmlessly with lots of preety lights.

The Zax speeds on toward Centry with no further trouble. The Orbital Element of the Starport of Centry basically consists of a communication sattelite in "Centry-synchronous" orbit. It's purpose is both to relay communications to/from the Starport and to serve as a marker beacon for the location of the Starport on the surface.

The "Down" facility is not that much better than the "Up" facility, consisting mainly of a large, smooth spot in a dry lakebed that has the familiar markings and lights. There is a prefabricated building that pretty much looks like an oversized cargo trailer. There are three or four other ships to one side of the landing field, apparently in an area that is intended to serve as a "hangar." All in all, it's a pretty run-of-the-mill Class I Starport.

Zoe raises Starship Control on the com and requests permission to land and a berth. A bored-sounding Vilani voice responds, "Roger, Zax Hakjohn Quiq, ZX213HKJ098-QQ7, we have you on our scopes. I would direct you into a parking orbit to wait your turn to descend, but, ahh, there seems to be no one ahead of you in the landing queue so make your approach at will."

Strangely, Spider finds himself wishing that he had shared more of Docs 'concoction.' Gruff is listening to his 'tunes,' and is basically bored out of his skull. [sblock=Lou] You still with us? What is your character doing? Like I told the others, don't worry to much about not having your character finished at this point. I'll try to refrain from getting him into too much combat just yet. Just have an idea of the sorts of skills he has so we can dummy up a skill check if necessary -- doesn't have to be precise, and I won't hold you to any skills you assign preliminarily, it's just a roleplaying aid, mostly. Eventually, though, hopefully in the next week or two, I'll assault your frail little specimins of pcs with some intense laser fire, or the inner portion of a star, or something fun like that. ;)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
The Nitty-Gritty Low-Down -- stuff you need to know about Centry

The Control Rating of Centry is 5 (moderated), which means that you can't be waving weapons around or even carrying them openly on your person. Locked up in the ship is fine. The government on Centry is a representative democracy.

The atmosphere of Centry is Very Thin oxygen-nitrogen, tainted by micro-fungal spores, so Doc has filter masks that will be necessary for everyone to wear, and you'll need a source of oxygen if you plan to run more than a few steps at a time (Oxygen tanks are also in ship's stores, but you may need to replenish your supply if you stay here very long). The tech level is 6, which equates to Earth's "nuclear age" circa 1940. The climate is cool and the surface of Centry is 20% water. Probably most important, though, is the widespread volcanic activity that is almost ubiquitous, with clouds of volcanic smoke and vapors being quite prevalent. There are also forests of fungi on Centry. (See above note re: micro-fungal spores.) Giant 'Shrooms, Yee Hah!

Basically, then, it's pretty much your typical Hellhole Vacation Spot.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Before the ship touches down, Doc takes a sample from the purple leaves into the medical bay. He uses both his Chemsniffer and Drug Analyzer on the material to see if he can get a better read on exactly what this stuff is. Since Doc is no expert on natural drugs, he runs the results through his computer.

[sblock=Relevant Die Rolls]

Biology [13]: 3d6=16
Computer Operation [14]: 3d6=12
Electronics Op - Medical [14]: 3d6=4
Pharmacy - Naturalist (Default) [8]: 3d6=13

I'm not sure how the devices help with the skill checks, so I'll leave that up to the GM.
[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
"Well, boys," Doc Hannigan says as the ship touches down at Centry. "We've arrived in one piece, and that's a good thing. But we've still got work to do. I've got a ton of crates filled with medical materials in the hold. I s'pose we oughta unload that stuff and find some sick people."

"Oh, and we'd better '86' the guns, for now. I'll be packing light, myself."

[sblock=What Doc is Bringing]
Reflec Flak Jacket
Skinsuit
Medical Pouch
Med Range Communicator + Scrambler
Multiview Goggles
Web Gear
Wristwatch Rad Counter
Recorder
Bio-Beacon
Aluminum Flask containing 10oz of Byruddian Whiskey
Air Mask + CBR Filter (& 10 Cartridges)
Atmosphere Tester
Biosampler
Chemsniffer
Drug Analyzer
Inertial Compass
Respirator (2)
Survival Watch
Televiewer
Vapor Canteen (2)
Plastiskin Patches (5)
Pneumospray Hypo (& 10 Air Cartridges)
Analgine (4)
Hypercoagulin (2)
Morphazine (2)
Neurovine (2)
Revive Capsules (20)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Spider leaves his battle station and hits the head quickly before joining the others. "Hey, nice job Zoe, I had the lasers locked in the missiles, but they were to old and slow to be a threat. We should get some missiles, not that old junk, but some primo Mark 8's or something. The other night playing Galaxy Con I fragged a whole squadron of Destroyers with Mark 8's." Between the adrenaline, the energy drink and doc's booze, Spider is hyped and can't seem to stop talking, "So what now, moving boxes huh, okay sure."

Leif

Adventurer
ALERT! SLIGHT TIME WARP! Doc's research just before arrival at Centry

The results of Doc's research:

[sblock=Doc Hannigan]
Before the ship touches down, Doc takes a sample from the purple leaves into the medical bay. He uses both his Chemsniffer and Drug Analyzer on the material to see if he can get a better read on exactly what this stuff is. Since Doc is no expert on natural drugs, he runs the results through his computer.

[sblock=Relevant Die Rolls]

Biology [13]: 3d6=16
Computer Operation [14]: 3d6=12
Electronics Op - Medical [14]: 3d6=4
Pharmacy - Naturalist (Default) [8]: 3d6=13
I'm not sure how the devices help with the skill checks, so I'll leave that up to the GM.
[/sblock]
Doc learns that these purple leaves contain a substance that acts as a restorative to the "skin" (or carapace) that is geared toward arthropods or whatever term applies to crab-like thingies. Doc's investigation reveals that it will be best applied by grinding it into a paste and mixing it with the food of the 'patient.'
[sblock=Insight]Is that what you were looking for?[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads