D&D 5E Leomund's Tiny Hut in Tight Places

MarkB

Legend
The spell takes a minute to cast. If cast as a ritual it takes 11 minutes. That's plenty of time for the amassed forces to attack.

The option of course is to just have someone watch the hut from a safe distance and then launch an attack the moment the spell expires.
If the wizard is really good at counting seconds, he could start casting the new spell exactly 10 minutes and 59 seconds before the spell's 8-hour duration expires. He'll fail to gain the benefit of a long rest, though, since he'll only have rested for 7 hours, 49 minutes and 1 second, rather than a full 8 hours.

Your ruling at the table was fine. It's the DM's job to keep the action moving, and I tend to err on the side of caution on things like this myself.

As far as official rule, the closest I can find as far as rules is under Casting a Spell in the PHB:

If no unblocked straight line extends from the point of origin to a location within the area of effect, that location isn't included in the spell's area.​
So if the room isn't big enough, whatever the obstruction is becomes one edge of the spell. A closed door might be blocked if it opens in. A door that opens out would cause an opening when the door is open.

This makes sense. I think this is how I will handle it in the future.

Your ruling would make sense and in principle I would agree with it.
But as a DM I might well have let it work just because it is a clever plan.

It was a clever plan. The Wizard ended up using Wall of Force anyway and they got the door open without being attacked. Worked well... but we'll see what happens when they have to pass through that room again to exit the dungeon.

Remove ads