D&D 5E Let us "fix" Expertise!

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Without magic items, a level 20 Greatsword Fighter can have the same AC as a level 1 sword and shield Fighter (Plate vs Chain Mail and shield). It barely scales up if you don't go out of your way to do it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, there's some difference. With 5e bounded accuracy, a level 1 character still has a decent chance to hit a level 20 character with an attack or spell. With PF2, a level 1 character has no chance at all to hit a level 20.
which is precisely what makes bounded accuracy superior.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
which is precisely what makes bounded accuracy superior.
I prefer the more limited power scaling of 5e, but "superior" is a little more normative than I like. PF2's scaling simply supports a different kind of fiction; it gives me more of a vibe of xianxia/cultivation stories.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
While I think +1 per level is a bit much, a progression which maxes out at +12 or so works well IMO. So, +2,+3,+3,+4,+4,...,+11,+11,+12.

Then with the +5 for ability you have +17. And expertise might just add half proficiency or something?

doctorbadwolf

I prefer the more limited power scaling of 5e, but "superior" is a little more normative than I like. PF2's scaling simply supports a different kind of fiction; it gives me more of a vibe of xianxia/cultivation stories.
The PF2 style scaling is more limited. You can use very simple optional rules to make a ssytem like 5e support stories where PCs become untouchable by lesser mortals, but going the other direction requires much more work.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Doesn't PF2 have an optional rule that doesn't add level to proficiency? Should make it more similar to 5e, number-wise.

doctorbadwolf

Doesn't PF2 have an optional rule that doesn't add level to proficiency? Should make it more similar to 5e, number-wise.
That is just changing the game to bounded accuracy. You could do the opposite with 5e just as easily.

Without changing the basic system being used, it's easier to add a tier bonus to your numbers, or add a rule that NPCs whose CR is equal to your proficiency bonus or lower just die when you attack them, or something like that, is easier than figuring out a simple way to buff low level enemies and make them better able to threaten high level PCs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases