D&D General (+) Let's give good things to Fighters

dave2008

Legend
Here's the thing: what do you consider a cool thing and how much of your ability to do that cool thing depend on DM fiat?
I also want to support your idea in another post that PC should get to do cool things sooner. But that is a bigger change than we will see for a long time.

Ideally I would like to see D&D be broken in to two tiers:

Mundane: lvl 1-10
Legendary: lvl 11-20

Most of the current fighter abilities could be all pushed down into the Mundane tier and then you can get really wild stuff in the Legendary tier. Other classes would be revised to match as well.

I can play a hero and do cool stuff without class mechanics, so I don't need those. I did it in 1e I can do it in 5e. I do understand and sympathize with those you want more in the class itself. To me, that is what the rogue, monk, and barbarian are for.
This is a + thread. Why are you here if you're not throwing out awesome fighter stuff?

Looks like it's time for the 4th fork!

Tony Vargas

Legend
You could give the Fighter every cool thing it ever had in every edition all at once, and it still wouldn't rise to like, Tier B in 5e.

OK, I mean, if you gave it +20 BAB over 20 levels, that might have an impact. 🙃
(but that's too literal, Full BAB, in 5e would be, like, Expertise with proficient attacks)

Sacrosanct

Legend
I want fighters to get the ability to do awesome things, like replicating spells. Or disappearing and reappearing up to a distance away. Or gaining proficiency in a bunch of other skills. Things that can add a bunch of non-combat utility.

Something they get that no other class gets that can give those abilities. Say, like two extra feats no one else gets...

In all seriousness, while it seems on all of these discussions have people completely ignore how the fighter does get 2 extra feats which absolutely give you the option to get all of those things you (general you) say are missing, I think that should be done earlier. Bump up fighting styles to make them on par with a feat. Then instead of a static fighting style, grant an additional feat at level 2 that can be used on either a fighting style or another feat.

dave2008

Legend
I want fighters to get the ability to do awesome things, like replicating spells. Or disappearing and reappearing up to a distance away. Or gaining proficiency in a bunch of other skills. Things that can add a bunch of non-combat utility.

Something they get that no other class gets that can give those abilities. Say, like two extra feats no one else gets...

In all seriousness, while it seems on all of these discussions have people completely ignore how the fighter does get 2 extra feats which absolutely give you the option to get all of those things you (general you) say are missing, I think that should be done earlier. Bump up fighting styles to make them on par with a feat. Then instead of a static fighting style, grant an additional feat at level 2 that can be used on either a fighting style or another feat.
Yep, our game is feat only and it is remarkable how versatile and interesting a fighter can be when you take advantage of them!

Vaalingrade

Legend
Now I'm wondering if it's in the spirit of a plus thread when the thread is calling you out by name asserting it is based on your position and then it turns out not to be your position.

Now I'm wondering if it's in the spirit of a plus thread when the thread is calling you out by name asserting it is based on your position and then it turns out not to be your position.
Sorry. When I get to a desktop in seven or so hours, I can better focus on writing up unique and interesting abilities. Could anyone else come up with some cool ideas in the mean time?

Here's a quick thing in the mean time.

Rope-a-dope
Fighter maneuver
Whenever you take the full defense action, gain an additional +2 AC bonus. Whenever you take melee damage, it is reduced by D4 times your proficiency bonus. Any opponent who attacks you gain d10 tireness points. When an opponent has 50 or more tireness points, they gain three levels of exhaustion.

Vaalingrade

Legend
So I have a rope-a-dope in my system that's similar as a feat and combat stance. Combat stances are like fighting style that you switch between:

Rope-a-Dope [Martial Arts, Pugilist, Combat Stance]
By guarding and dodging, you wear your opponent down, leaving them vulnerable to your attacks.

Prerequisites: Martial Arts, Pugilist

Benefits: While in this Combat Stance, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC vs your chosen opponent. Whenever your chosen opponent misses you with a melee attack, they must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ level + CON modifier) or become sickened.

You gain a +1d4 morale bonus to damage rolls against sickened targets.

-----

For 5e, the save would be +Proficiency or something and though exhaustion is against my religion (god hates death spirals), you could replace sickened with exhaustion that doesn't accumulate.

You could do worse than combing through 4e and adapting the at will and encounter powers from the fighters. Especially from levels 1-10, that can give the class so extra juice.

On a scale of [ Mundane - Uncanny - Preternatural - Supernatural ] They should be Uncanny at levels 1-10 and Preternatural at higher levels. Not Supernatural, so they aren't subject to dispelling or countering (an thus no rules needed for that).

Specific abilities would be grounding flying targets, have a commanding presence, motivate troops, remain alert / awake for extended periods, grapple / knockback as if a larger creature, strike first in an important fight, uncanny accuracy with a bow shot, &c.

Remove ads