Let's Have a Peek At TRANSFORMERS and GI JOE!

Over the last few days, Renegade Game Studios has revealed more information about its upcoming line of tabletop RPGs, including Power Rangers, Transformers, and GI Joe! The three hardcover core rulebooks have been revealed ($55 each), powered by their new Essence20 system, along with dice, dice bags, GM screens, and deluxe editions of each book...

Over the last few days, Renegade Game Studios has revealed more information about its upcoming line of tabletop RPGs, including Power Rangers, Transformers, and GI Joe! The three hardcover core rulebooks have been revealed ($55 each), powered by their new Essence20 system, along with dice, dice bags, GM screens, and deluxe editions of each book.

GIJoe_3D_RGB_2000px_1__95408.1629996998.png

Fighting for freedom wherever there is trouble, G.I. Joe is there!

In the G.I. JOE Roleplaying game, create your own Joe by choosing your military training origin, personal traits, and role within the G.I. Joe organization to become a Real American Hero and save the day!

This book contains everything you need to create your own G.I. JOE character and play the game - just add dice, some friends, and your imagination.

Features:
  • Create your own unique G.I. JOE character
  • Full rulebook for running your own G.I. JOE Roleplaying Game
  • One Gamemaster leads the story with a group of players
  • Contains introductory adventure for new team
  • Full color hardcover book with 304 pages with ribbon bookmark

PowerRangers_3D_RGB_2000px__98350.1629991630.png

PR_Screen_wBooklet_RGB_2000px__21326.1629993509.png

It’s Morphin’ Time!

Become a Power Ranger and protect Angel Grove and the Earth against the evil forces of Rita Repulsa, Lord Zedd, Master Vile, and more in the epic world of Power Rangers! Whether you interrupt Rita’s monster attacks in her attempt of world domination or defeat the forces of the Machine Empire from invading Earth, there is no limit to the heroic stories you will tell.

In the Power Rangers Roleplaying Game, create your ultimate Power Ranger persona by combining personal traits, childhood influences, and your chosen Ranger color to make a hero worthy of the Power!

This book contains everything you need to create your own Power Rangers character and play the game - just add dice, some friends, and your imagination:
  • Complete rules for players and Game Masters focused on fun storytelling and epic combat
  • Character creation tools, weapons, equipment, Zords, and more from the Zordon era
  • Combat and exploration information, detailed locations in Angel Grove, and tools to get your campaign started
  • An introductory adventure for 1st-level characters that is ready to play with your new character

Transformers_3D_RGB_2000px__62370.1629997342.png

More than meets the eye...

In the Transformers Roleplaying game, create your own Autobot character and wage your battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons! Whether defending Earth against Megatron’s plans of attack, searching for elusive stores of Energon, or protecting innocent humans and Cybertronians alike, your game is only limited by the stories you create!

This book contains everything you need to create your own Transformers character and play the game - just add dice, some friends, and your imagination:
  • Complete rules for players and Game Masters focused on fun storytelling and epic combat
  • Character creation tools, weapons, equipment, vehicles, and villain dossiers
  • Combat and exploration information, details of secret bases and special equipment, and tools to get your campaign started
  • An introductory adventure for 1st-level characters that is ready to play with your new character
Autobots, Roll Out!

GIJoe_Screen_gate_fold_outside_cover__43067.1630003963.png

Transformers_Screen_gate_fold_outside_cover__whitetext__00719.1630003306.png

Soundwave is one of the best, no doubt.

But this does bring up what makes me a little hesitant on the Transformers RPG - how will it work, say, when the robot that can transform into a submarine goes off into the water, or you have ones that can transform into jets mixed with those that turn into cars, or a microscope? The cartoon solved it by just letting everyone fly, but I'm not sure how viable that is in an RPG.

I wonder if there will be special rules for boombox type Transformers and their little buddies?

View attachment 143087

Etterra

Explorer
Oh, a lot of the fun with licensed properties was always looking for the statistics of your favorite characters. Everyone wants to know the Doctor's Intelligence rating, what level fighter Conan was, how much damage Stormbringer does, and the like; if they're all in the same RPG system you can have the Grey Mouser hoodwink Frodo and have Gandalf the Gray/White and Yennefer of Vengerberg have magical contests.

Now we may be able to see if Megatron can defeat Lord Zedd. All in good fun.
Yes. The answer is yes.

Etterra

Explorer
Okay, I'm really confused. Hasbro owns WotC, which produces D&D and as a company through all its iterations has been making RPGs since they literally invented them. So instead of using that already owned resource, they're licensing the product through a privately owned 3rd party company that does literally the exact same thing, namely, making RPGs, but with less experience and fewer actual RPGs because they mostly make card and board games. What, was it because they'd already licensed their card game products through them even though they make MtG? I mean they did the same weird thing with the manufacture of HeroQuest, even though they used their own crowdfunding service so they wouldn't have to pay Kickstarter anything. Their choices seem all over the place on these things, and I can't help but wonder which executive is getting a kickback - excuse me, getting incentivized - where and by whom.

aramis erak

Legend
Okay, I'm really confused. Hasbro owns WotC, which produces D&D and as a company through all its iterations has been making RPGs since they literally invented them.
You've got some errors in your history.
Tactical Studies Rules, started by E. Gary Gygax, , is the first publisher of D&D; Gygax and Dave Arneson jointly created D&D, based upon things Dave was doing with Gygax's miniatures rules and his "off-table play" in Dave Weseley's Braunstein convention game.
WotC comes to exist in 1990, created by Peter Adkison ... they become big from Magic: The Gathering. They don't own D&D until the late 1990's (ISTR 1997.) There is no evidence I've seen for Adkison working on D&D. He did, however, work on several RPGs, none of them D&D.
TSR was going bankrupt in the 1995-1997 timeframe.
WotC purchased. I recall it taking a good bit of time.
In 1999, WotC releases D&D 3.0. Most of the team are not former TSR. There's clear use of materials from AD&D (which WotC acquired with TSR), but it's also quite different.
AFAIK, there are almost no remaining TSR designers at WotC. (No judgement.)

Oh, and Monte Cook, who, IIRC, was one of the leads on D&D 3.0, has left for certain, and was a TSR holdover.
Oh, also, HasBro bought WotC about the same time 3.E was in Layout, in 1999.

There's continuity, but it's not the same company, not the same staff, and not answering the the same ownership.

Remove ads

Remove ads