D&D 5E Let's list the "broken" spells

Gilwen

Explorer
Like any thing else if you don't like change it, Rule 0. I see the long rest as a period of recuperation so not necessarily 100% sleep but a combination of activities that is abstracted into a period of time that help you get over the previous days hurts, stresses, and resource drain. It's no more illogical to me than you can only do 1 long rest per 24 hour period but it does provide a balance point to resources.

"A long rest is a peroid of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity."

Assume a human does sleep 7 hours then spends 1 hour on eating and preparing.

An elf meditates for 4 hours, instead of sleeping.

So you want to tell me that the elf has to spend 4 hours on eating or other light activities to get the same benefit as a human?

Its not logical. Its a decision made for balancing purpose. Nothing else.

Pascal Drummen

First Post
Polymorph isn't that broken, because it needs concentration. Which means you can't use it on yourself, or during the fight king kong surrounded by scores of Orcs transforms back in the halfling wizard and dies. If you cast it on a partymember, they don't keep there intelligence.The target's game Statistics, including mental Ability Scores, are replaced by the Statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality. Which means the t-rex shouldn't act like a strategic fighter which is a major drawback that needs to be played out. Further more, still requires concentration so a few well placed arrows on the wizard, and your partymember changes back right in between the enemy's. Usualy cast on weaker partymembers instead of the already strong fighter. A Bard surrounded by enemies dies quickly. Then there is the little problem with partymembers who are able te resist you, annoying as :):):):), thanx for letting me waste a spell because you don't want to be turned into a beast that saves us. (happened to me twice) So i don't think that polymorph needs to be tuned down to be weaker then the druids wildshape. It's a really fun and not overpowered spell as is.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Animate Thread
--Level 1 Necromancy V,S,M
This spell raises a thread from the dead long enough for a single post whose content is specified by the caster but must pass the site's usual fliters, plus a single post in response noting that thread necromancy has occurred. The thread remains open for further responses but can die again.
Level 3 slot: The spell now works on locked threads, but only for the initial two posts.
Level 5 slot: The thread now remains open, unless an admin explicitly locks it again
Level 7 slot: The spell now works on deleted threads, but only once.
Level 9 slot: A Daemon recasts the spell at level 7 whenever no posts to the thread have occurred for 3 years. The Daemon must be killed or Banished to the Abyss to prevent this from happening.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Animate Thread
This spell raises a thread from the dead long enough for a single post whose content is specified by the caster but must pass the site's usual fliters, plus a single post in response noting that thread necromancy has occurred. The thread remains open for further responses but can die again.
Level 3 slot: The spell now works on locked threads, but only for the initial two posts.
Level 5 slot: The thread now remains open, unless an admin explicitly locks it again
Level 9 slot: A Daemon recasts the spell at level 7 whenever no posts to the thread have occurred for 3 years. The Daemon must be killed or Banished to the Abyss to prevent this from happening.

Oooh I have been told I have that one mastered ... as when I raise them puppies they stay risen.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Animate Thread

To say this is a new spell. It has been cast in this community many times down the years. Who are they that hold the secrets of this spell but won't teach others? The masons, the illuminati, the secret six, the sinister seventeen, the masked lords?

Remove ads