D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

Oh man, I'd not thought of their effect on civilians. Definitely makes these guys number one priority, if you're around non-combatants. You could also use that, and the Hierophants of Annihiliation, as the backdrop for a post-apocalypse setup. Imagine a land completely emptied of life by the Priesthood of Orcus, i.e. Bodaks,, with only the restless dead and cultists to Orcus inhabiting it; from which Dark Crusades are launched in the name of the Lord of Undeath. The players maybe are survivors, or are tasked by a nearby kingdom or religious order with penetrating the place, finding the Hierophant that sits in the shattered ruins of a once-glorious city, and bringing an end to Orcus' foul domain.

I think that's a solid enough campaign premise, all of which has spun out of that one paragraph in a Bodak's entry. Nicely done, Wizards.

Today we look at the Boggle, the first of many Fey in the book.

200px-D%26DBoggle.JPG

The art in Volo’s is fun. The boggle is kind of disgusting, kind of monstrous, but also kind of adorable, with a telling combination of a teddy bear and skulls behind it. Its a very characterful picture, with the bushy eyebrows and furtive movements, and it really helps to cement these guys as ambiguous wee blighters.

Now that we’re onto the Fey, I thought that I’d mention my biggest bugbear (heh) with Volo’s: it has loads of Fey in it, but basically no description of their society or rulers. About the only real clues you get are snippets scattered throughout this chapter and the Hag entry in chapter one. It is irksome to me that they couldn’t have provided a page for this purpose - or considered dedicating part of chapter 1 to an overview of the Fey and their culture, in place of one of the races there. Anyway, let’s move on to the Boggle itself.

These little fellas are a lot of fun, but I suspect that they’ll not see a lot of use. Mischevous little blighters - essentially gremlins - who get formed when an intelligent creature feels lonely, they have a lot to recommend them as roleplaying encounters; chaotic but not evil means that you can use them in a number of ways. Having one turn against its evil master and approach the party for help eliminating him, with it speeding around the place disabling traps and whatnot, could be good fun. Equally, they could be happily serving someone that the party speaks to - say, a Warlock of an Archfey - and provide some interesting roleplaying in that situation.

I can see these guys being a viable antagonist, but probably only for very low level games; if your campaign starts with the players as children all living in the same castle and growing up together, for example. In that kind of situation, then a recurring Boggle might be a good addition, especially if the players have a lot of freedom to deal with it as they see fit, which allows for a roleplaying moment of showing their characters’ basic natures. Otherwise, I think that you could definitely use them in alliance with other Fey - one or two might make a surprisingly substantial change to a combat against a Hag, for example. I get the impression from Volo’s that the Fey will make much better opponents for low level parties in general, considering their fairly low CR across the board.

As to their combat stats, they are basically incapable of doing any real harm to a party. However, their abilities try very hard to depict them as annoying and disruptive, with the ability to squeeze and pop around the place, and excrete oil to get away from people. This matches their inclination to mischief, rather than murder. Otherwise, they are perhaps the most complex CR 1/8th monster in the game, but still not very complex for all that.

Final analysis: use them to amuse and entertain your players, not put them in fear for their characters’ lives.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So do you think an upcoming adventure path is going to be riddled with fay? WotC love to drop hints like that.

Dimensional Rift is an intriguing ability. It says only the Boggle can use it, but they can shove anything into it. I could imagine a few scenarios where the Boggle grapples a creature (thanks to Sticky Oil) and shoves them though the rift to dispose of them. Or alternatively it could heard the PC's into a pit, set up with it's Oil Puddles to keep them there, and then push a large object through a rift that exits over their heads.

Though, this creature strikes me more like a plot device than a proper combat encounter. The Boggle could be used to take something from the PC's, maybe even frame them for a crime. Or the Boggle could be used as a potential ally rather than an enemy. If a PC was thrown into a prison, for instance, a Boggle could spawn after an amount of time to give the character a potential avenue of escape.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I can easily see the Bodak as a sort-of "got what you wanted, but didn't want what you got".
A group of necromancers appeal to Orcus for lichdom, but he instead bestows upon them bodakdom.
It would make for a true "save or die" dungeon, where the players are all saying to each other "don't roll low on the save. Whatever you do, don't roll low."

Boggle Oil . . . I can easily see a situation where an opportunistic boggle is selling this stuff on the black market.
The lord mayor's daughter wants his head on a platter, having realized she's been had by a fey snake-oil salesman.
she bought the stuff thinking it would cure acne, only for her skin to break out in hives.

maybe the boggle is hiding out in the same dungeon as the bodaks, and is using his dimension-door-esque ability to harass the players by opening the rift and shoving fresh boggle oil out of it and onto them, right when they encounter their first Bodak . . .

wow, I think I just created my first adventure hook.:cool:

Last edited:

So do you think an upcoming adventure path is going to be riddled with fay? WotC love to drop hints like that.

Absolutely. As I'll mention tomorrow, Hags turn up friggin' everywhere in this book, and I am now certain that we're going to get a Fey-themed adventure at some point. The Feywild is one of D&D's less described places, but has a huge amount of storytelling potential thanks to its 'fantastical mirror of the real world' angle. That would also allow them to shunt off all of the Feywild setting description and Fey culture (the Queens, Court politics, etc) into one place. Otherwise I don't know why you'd put so many Fey into this book, but so little explanation for how they work together and what they, as a culture, represent vis-a-vis the player characters. For example: Dragons are clearly explained as greedy evil or good monsters to kill or talk to, Demons are for big smashing fights against EVIL, Hobgoblins are there to be a civilised race of Nazis, Yuan-Ti are for subversive alien manipulators, and so on. The Fey sit rather undeveloped amongst all of this.

I also agree with you and [MENTION=6863864]Bitbrain[/MENTION] that the Boggles seem more like plot devices than combat encounters. Good to turn up, set the tone for an adventure, do some narration, then leave; I'm basically thinking of Dobby the House Elf.

RotGrub

First Post
oh I need to say this.

Thanks for the Rot Grub Swarm WotC! I've already seen a few triggered gamers upset about its return. :)

Chaosmancer

Legend
oh I need to say this.

Thanks for the Rot Grub Swarm WotC! I've already seen a few triggered gamers upset about its return. :)

That artwork from my Dad's old AD&D book has given me nightmares for years... brrrr.

As for Boggles, one thing I would love to do to some players is have them dealing with a Hag, standing on her creaky wooden floor, which has lots of holes in it, and her Boggle servant is gluing all their feet to the floor and heavy objects beneath the floor. So, when they go to lunge forward to stop her, they can't move.

Trolling players is so much fun

It is my distinct pleasure today to discuss the Catoblepas, which is a solid contender for ‘fugliest thing in all of D&D’ - and that’s saying something for a game with Leucrotta, demons, and PHB Halflings in it.

latest

The Catoblepas is really trying its utmost to make you feel unhappy in your eyes; I quote, “this conglomeration of bloated buffalo, dinosaur, warthog, and hippopotamus parts has few redeeming qualities.” Splendid. The art in Volo’s is pretty great: the Catoblepas has this… scratchy quality, implying all kinds of nasty flies and mosquitoes in its shaggy fur, even as its grumpy face sends a clear message of malevolent intent. It really does look like the ugliest and most disgruntled creature in the world.

On a side note, I came across a mention to these guys in my Planescape reading this week: specifically, Imel’s Happy Tongue restaurant in Sigil will sell you cheese made from these things’ milk. Sounds delicious.

N6WP1OI.png

The background for the Catoblepas is surprisingly vague in terms of their origin. Perhaps the gods of disease [1] created them to mark their influence; otherwise they appear to be natural. They eat, poop, and recreate as normal. It does, however, smell like the inside of a Otyugh’s stomach, and their mere presence makes their habitats (marshland, swamp, etc) even more unpleasant than normal. So it remains fairly ambiguous on the question of whether they are natural beasts or hellspawn of some kind. There is mention also that ‘sinister folklore’ has arisen about the Catoblepas, making them a harbinger of death or doom. Could be an interesting way to foreshadow their appearance in your game.

Probably the highlight of the background here is that sometimes Warlocks, dark knights, and other unsavoury types actually ride them as mounts. That is pretty hilarious, to be honest, as well as fairly concerning; tough to de-mount someone who is riding something as powerful as these! I’m not sure that players will take the mental image very seriously though, so I wouldn’t try to introduce that idea unless you’re happy for the players to laugh at the rider. On a similar note, Hags (who get mentioned a lot in this book, especially considering that I don’t think they’ve turned up at all in the modules) like to keep them as pets, and drink their milk. Let’s try not to picture a Hag milking a Catoblepas, m’kay? Otherwise, these things seem likely to be met either randomly in the wild or as part of someone’s mad menagerie, like their cousins in hateful fugly anger the Owlbears. Definitely worth sticking them onto your random encounter charts!

In combat, the Catoblepas is actually pretty nasty. It is easy to hit, like all of the animals, and mainly relies on a combination of its stink (a ten foot poison-condition aura, basically) and a lovetap from its tail to see off its enemies. However, that lovetap doesn’t just do (pretty considerable!) damage, it also imparts the Stunned condition, which is actually really rare for a monster to do, and a downright nasty trick to boot. It only gets one attack a turn though, so be prepared for it to miss all of its attacks and for you to then feel sad. The upside here is that the Catoblepas has a Death Ray, always an encouraging thing to see in a monster’s entry; this is basically a disintegrate spell, doing 8d8 damage, or even 16d8 for those who really fluff the save, and the ‘dead if reduced to 0’ element in full effect. Use that turn one and you can expect the players to form a lifelong hatred for this beastie. Maybe they won’t laugh so hard when the bad guy rides one into battle after that…

[1] In the Forgotten Realms, that'd be Talona, who is the dedicated disease deity.

Remove ads