D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

In 5E, goblins are fantastic soldiers. They are more accurate than hobgoblins (+4 to hit vs. +3), have Stealth Expertise and a bonus action Hide/Disengage, and they do good damage with their shortbows. Why wouldn't you want a bunch of goblin skirmishers in your army?

I was more envisaging a mass battle situation, where morale is the key element, and one that Goblins are famously deficient in. Hobos seem much more possessed of brass balls and a steel backbone, so would be the superior soldiers in such a context, whereas Goblins are indeed potent skirmishers.

​ have learned to deal with the Nilbog by granting one Goblin in the warhost the position of Jester. I wonder how they ensure that the Nilbog becomes the Jester - presumably just watching for spellcasting and chaos in the ranks - but it is a sweet gig for any Goblin who gets it, Nilbog or not. Between this and the Iron Shadow stuff, we can almost imagine the interior of the command tent for the host, and it is an interestingly varied place.

You misunderstood what that means. Appointing a Jester prevents a Nilbog from appearing at all. As Hobgoblins don't want them around. More or less they find the goblin in the host they find the most distasteful and more or less give him permission to do whatever he wants without fear of reprisal. Appearntly by doing this the trickster spirit is appeased and a Nilbog won't suddenly appear in the ranks.

Also on the Iron Shadows from what they read like they would not being doing eugenics on the leadership, but are instead the secret police utterly and fanatically loyal to the Warlord. Who spy among the troops for him and eliminate any dissent against him. Along with use as spies and assassins against his other enemies.

Today I’m going to vary the format a little, and talk about the Orc Society that is outlined by Volo’s Guide; this will take enough time that we won’t discuss any of the individual Orc profiles in huge detail, but will instead look at how they are meant to work together, and what they tell us about Orc society in D&D. In subsequent entries we’ll then cover the six new statblocks from the book.

There are some very strong depictions of Orcs in fantasy gaming, for example the fungus hooligans of Warhammer, the noble savages of Warcraft and the howling hordes of Lord of the Rings. It has not been my experience in the past that D&D Orcs had all that much to offer, being mostly faceless goons to be slaughtered, and lacking the character of their Goblin cousins (though I do not believe that the races are related at all in D&D, unlike in Warhammer). Certainly, they never made much of an impact on me in any of the computer games. With Volo’s Guide to Monsters, it seems that the designers have striven to really make the Orcs of D&D different, by providing an image of a religiously-driven culture, each individual in a tribe given a place by their relationship to the Orc pantheon. The followers of each god - from Gruumsh to Luthic to Ilneval - takes inspiration from their deity, and the tribe makes a place for them in the fabric of its society. This is described in usefully vague terms, such that we can imagine an entirely-Luthic themed group of Orcs that the players could meet, or there could be a group of Luthic worshippers inside any given Orc warband, of any size. The writeup in chapter one is super helpful for understanding what an Orc tribe does and how it functions, when it isn’t raiding Elves or whatever. There is also a stunning image of an Elf hiding from his Orc pursuers, one of the best pieces of art in the book.

Let’s quickly look at the Orc Gods:

latest

Gruumsh - leader, war god, fights endlessly with Maglubiyet the Goblin god on the plains of Acheron, which is the one with all the cubes.
Ilneval - War, tactics
Bahgtru - War, strength

These three together are the ‘main’ gods, the ones who direct the military activities of the Orcs, and whose followers your players will encounter the most.

Luthic - Motherhood, protecting the home
Yurtrus - Illness, Death
Shargaas - Stealth, Darkness, Murder

These three are focused much more on how the tribe functions. Shargaas’ agents cull the weak members of the tribe, keeping it strong. Yurtrus’ remove the dead and dying, performing necromantic rituals to honour the victorious fallen. Luthic’s cult maintains the whelping pens, forges, and workshops of the tribe, managing both the next generation and the material of life and war.

Apart from Bahgtru, each god has dedicated statblocks for their followers. The followers of Bahgtru don’t get their own entry - but are instead simply Orcs who ride Aurochs, which helpfully answers the question of ‘what cavalry do Orcs have?’ In addition, you will find that the Monster Manual has a pair of combatants that fit into this schema - the Eye of Gruumsh, who are shamans and support casters, the Orogs, who are usually part of the cult of Luthic, and the Chieftains, who are granted their power over other Orcs by Gruumsh’s will - indeed, the text suggests that an Orc cannot lead a tribe without this blessing, as the other Orcs are just not inclined to listen to one without the God’s backing. It seems that this is not even an explicitly visible thing, but just something more subliminal, but I think you have a lot of flexibility in that regard, if you want a chieftain’s succession to be a plot point in your game.

Orc - CR 1/2, MM 246
Orc Nurtured One of Yurtrus - CR 1/2, VGtM 184
Orog - CR 2, MM 247
Orc Claw of Luthic - CR 2, VGtM 183
Orc Eye of Gruumsh - CR 2, MM 247
Orc Hand of Yurtrus - CR 2, VGtM 184
Orc Red Fang of Shargaas - CR 3, VGtM 185
Orc War Chief - CR 4, MM 246
Orc Blade of Ilneval - CR 4, VGtM 183
Tanarukk - CR 5, VGtM 186

Also note the Aurochs (CR 2, VGtM 207), which you’ll need for Bahgtru’s lads. The Tanarukk is kind of outside the normal structure, as we’ll discuss in its entry. So overall what we have here is a long and interesting list of ‘evil chaotic green people’, but one that actually has a lot of versatility. We get a ‘leader’ type in the Blade of Ilneval. The War Chief is good for slashing characters into gibbets as well as buffing his allies. The Claw of Luthic is a healing cleric with a claw strike in melee, the Hand of Yurtrus is a harming cleric with a necrotic touch, and the Eye of Gruumsh is a controlling cleric with a spear. The Orcish gods provide all of the spellcasting statblocks for the Orcs, making them the divine-spellcaster-focus race as compared to the arcane-spellcaster-focus of the Kobolds and Goblinoids. The Red Fang gives you a sneaky Orc, and the Nurtured One of Yurtrus gives you a suicide bomber. The Orc is a standard melee combatant, while the Orog is a tougher and stronger, yet still simple, option. In short, you now have a wide range of Orcs to draw on to challenge your players, before you even begin to look at things like Ettins, Giants and Giant Bats. I’m especially pleased with this for the Orcs, since their entries combine societal elements with combat statistics - a fight against Yurtrus’ followers is going to be very different from one against Ilnevals, both in location and in tactics, even if both take place inside the same lair.

We’ll pick it up with the first of the Orc entries tomorrow, as I think that this post is now long enough that we can afford to let it stand on its own.

Last edited:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I really enjoyed Volo's take on the Orc, especially the contrast between them and the Hobgoblins.
If the Goblinoids are the Roman Empire, then the Orcs are the barbarian tribes.

Another thing I really liked was how Volo's describes Orc society as being a subtle and covert matriarchy, which is in contrast with the overt matriarchy of the Drow.
Yeah, the Orc war chief is probably a guy, but he's really just a short-term power. The true long-term stabilizing force among the orcs are the priestesses of Luthic and their Orog bodyguards.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I had already rewritten orcs to a degree for my homebrew world, since I (in general) stopped using Half-orcs back in 4e and just made them straight up orcs.

I like what I have, but making them a more neutral, allied race instead of a screaming horde does mean that a lot of things get left behind. Still, I really appreciate what was done in Volo's to make them different from just "Big, strong, dumb savages" and instead make them a very devout and war-like society.

And some of these guys can act as a big surprise for the players, who are expecting more of the great axe wielding marauders and instead run into cavalry and spellcasters.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I wonder if Volo's was written by a Master of Magic fan, or if there is a common source from early AD&D.

Baghtru has been around since first edition. A quick check of the Googles tells me that he was created by Roger Moore (no, not that one) in Dragon Magazine #62 and then was later written up in Unearthed Arcana. Both of those would predate Master of Magic by a decade plus.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Don't forget Half-Orcs, they count as members of the Orc Tribe. And unlike full-blooded Orcs, they can take any NPC template easily. Berserkers are the one that springs to mind, but really anything can be used with them, due to their lack of an INT penalty.

And because the Orcs are having a Bye-Day, that gives me time to talk about chapter two. Specifically why Half-Orcs are really out of place when compared to their parents.

Most of the half-orc traits are self-explanatory. They get a smattering of what orcs get, including some beefy stats, darkvision and Menacing. The human side makes the half-orc smarter, but really that's as far as the blood of man is willing to carry the half-orc.

Now here is where it gets to be a bit of a head scratcher. Somehow or another, the half-orc manages to trade a speed bonus for an ability that lets them shrug off a deathblow, and turn Powerful Build into improved critical damage dice. This is a bit of a stretch imo. There is nothing in the lore to suggest that a half-orc is either hardier, or more violent than a normal orc (Orogs, on the other hand, would find such abilities to fit like a glove).

What I would really like to see is a series of half-orc variants, much like the variants that the half-elf got in the SCAG. To represent all these new orcish progenitors that we have to pick from.

Also, orc subraces, that would be keen. I could totally see an orc with claws, or an orc with a cleric cantrip as a racial trait.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Personally I see it like Human/Sayain children from DBZ. The two together make a greater whole.

And that can make a bit of sense in terms of the "flame of life" type description. Humans are brilliant, "burning the candle at both ends" individuals who live as much in 50 years as other races live in a hundred. Orcs also have a violent flame, a flame of war and battle that consumes them. The two mixed together give you something stronger, more resilient and more deadly as a result.

Also, I just really like those stats

Now here is where it gets to be a bit of a head scratcher. Somehow or another, the half-orc manages to trade a speed bonus for an ability that lets them shrug off a deathblow, and turn Powerful Build into improved critical damage dice. This is a bit of a stretch imo. There is nothing in the lore to suggest that a half-orc is either hardier, or more violent than a normal orc (Orogs, on the other hand, would find such abilities to fit like a glove).

I found this a really interesting point. You're totally right - the abilities of the two races are widely divergent of each other, even more so than Human (+1 to everything, free skills) and Half-Elf (two +1s, free skills, other stuff). However, I suspect that when it comes to Half Orc and Orc as PC races, they wanted them to be pretty different - otherwise it would be really easy to write an Orc race that was flat out superior to the Half-Orc, or vice versa. By going for a fairly divergent approach, they make it more likely that the two are a meaningful choice. Just a thought.

Also [MENTION=6801228]Chaosmancer[/MENTION]'s point has merit - that the combination of the two makes for a very powerful and unique whole. I'd certainly suggest that Half-Orcs are way more mechanically interesting than Half-Elves, despite the latter representing a solid 25% of all epic fantasy protagonists in fiction.

What I would really like to see is a series of half-orc variants, much like the variants that the half-elf got in the SCAG. To represent all these new orcish progenitors that we have to pick from.

That seems cool, but I can only imagine it is fairly low down on the list. What might achieve the same end but a little easier is a set of Orc-only Cleric spells to allow a player to mimic one of the NPC statblocks. Something to let you grow claws or do necrotic damage. Though I suppose you could argue that domains should cover it; is there a design space for 'Orc Domain', and by extension 'Elf Domain'?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases