D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

Fey settlements in general are a very underdeveloped idea, except for Hags. We talked upthread about them maybe getting focused on in a future module, and that might well be the case; otherwise, I can only imagine that we'll hear a lot more about this in anything that covers the Feywild. At the moment we know less about the entirety of the Fey race's living situation than we do about Kobold offal pits... :D

However, their statblock is pretty great, so let's look at that. With CR 1, the Quicklings are surprisingly low level, but look really dangerous opponents despite that. AC of 16, disadvantage for enemy attack rolls against it, due to its great speed, and the Evasion ability of a Rogue combine to make the Quickling's 10 HP tough to actually get at. This is on top of a rather grotesque 120ft of movement a turn, and huge bonuses to Stealth and Sleight of Hand, mean that we should probably be happy that they didn't give this creature Disengage as a bonus action; opportunity attacks are likely to be desperately needed by your players. Like the Nilbog, a low level group that is unlucky on the dice is likely to get ground into paste by one of these. On top of that, the Quickling does an impressive three attacks a turn, which is great for the imagery of it rapidly stabbing people, but also means that it is going to have a consistent damage output, especially with 1d4+6 damage on each hit, which gives a narrow 7-10 range of results.

The Quicklings are a race that I'd be tempted to hold off on until the characters are level 3-4, and then use in small swarms to enrage and pinprick them. They should also work well with other Fey, especially since they are well placed to pounce on anyone that gets Restrained by a Korred or Hag. However, we don't really get a lot of explanation of what story these guys go with, which is a shame.

In a discussion in a recent thread on quicklings, I determined that the CR for them in VGtM is completely wrong - with the stat block they have, they are actually CR 3, just based on the main stats alone, and before you factor in their speed and evasion abilities. If you run them as determined to kill a group, a single one would absolutely massacre a 1st level party on its own, especially if it got surprise, which wouldn't be too hard. It could just pick them off one by one, going for the most isolated, doing huge amounts of damage (in comparison to a typical 1st level character's usual hit points) each round and likely dropping them, and then run out of movement range each time. Even if they got into a situation where an opportunity attack were possible against them, with their evasion, they have a good chance of not being hit. Despite their deceptively now hit points, these guys would be 1st level party killers.

Now, against 3rd to 5th level parties or so, I'm all for them being used as foes! I'm an old fan of quicklings since 1st edition days, and was very happy to see them in VgTM (they topped my list of monsters I wanted to see). I just wouldn't use them against parties their putative CR says they should be used against...

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
quick and the kermit.jpg

Anyway~

Although they can be found naturally, Quicklings are typically in the employ of a Hag (Annis hags in particular can cause pockets of them to appear as a regional effect). Though any Druid or Warlock able to cast 6th level spells can summon one for some high speed chaos. But perhaps the best NPC caster to use them would be a Lore Bard.

How to cause Mischief:

Firstly, by far and large the most aggravating thing you can do to the PC's is take their gear. Which Quicklings are primed and ready to do. However, this is nowhere near the most mischief you can cause.

Quicklings enjoy a high Sleight of Hand score, which can be used to plant evidence on the PC's. What kind of evidence you ask? Well all of the evidence:

• Stolen goods used to frame persons for thievery.
  • Contraband and poisons, to imply smuggling or assassination attempts.
  • Forged documents, used to instigate political strife.
  • (Un)Holy symbols of a god or goddess related to disease in a town plagued by sickness.
  • Tokens of love from persons of questionable repute, intended to destabilize relationships.
  • Strange Fetishes, used to let the PC's know they are still being watched, and scare any NPC who happens to see them.

While any of these are good enough hooks on their own, with a mid CR Bard backing up the claims of wrongdoing, they will become the new "truth" of the world. How quick will the PC's crumble when the world turns it's back on them and declares them the villains?

Last edited:

In a discussion in a recent thread on quicklings, I determined that the CR for them in VGtM is completely wrong - with the stat block they have, they are actually CR 3, just based on the main stats alone, and before you factor in their speed and evasion abilities. If you run them as determined to kill a group, a single one would absolutely massacre a 1st level party on its own, especially if it got surprise, which wouldn't be too hard. It could just pick them off one by one, going for the most isolated, doing huge amounts of damage (in comparison to a typical 1st level character's usual hit points) each round and likely dropping them, and then run out of movement range each time. Even if they got into a situation where an opportunity attack were possible against them, with their evasion, they have a good chance of not being hit. Despite their deceptively now hit points, these guys would be 1st level party killers.

Now, against 3rd to 5th level parties or so, I'm all for them being used as foes! I'm an old fan of quicklings since 1st edition days, and was very happy to see them in VgTM (they topped my list of monsters I wanted to see). I just wouldn't use them against parties their putative CR says they should be used against...

Despite you saying they should be CR 3. The fact is they only have 10 hp. If someone gets lucky and hits them they are probably going to go down. Because of this low hp I can't see them being ranked above CR 1.

In a discussion in a recent thread on quicklings, I determined that the CR for them in VGtM is completely wrong - with the stat block they have, they are actually CR 3, just based on the main stats alone, and before you factor in their speed and evasion abilities.

What thread was that? I've been trying to link other relevant posts as we go, for future reference. :)

Despite you saying they should be CR 3. The fact is they only have 10 hp. If someone gets lucky and hits them they are probably going to go down. Because of this low hp I can't see them being ranked above CR 1.
With their AC, movement rate, and evasion, what's the likelihood of that happening though for a 1st level character? Even a ranged attack will be hard to connect, as it should be able to move into cover after attacking in a typical forest. Yes it may go down in one hit, but in all probability, its taken down at least 1 or 2 of the party before that point, if not a TPK.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

One of the few Fey in this book that I had heard of before, the Redcap is a loveable little murderer.

9edc81dcff02a8ef9f10c0f973bcece8.jpg

The image in the book is simple but evocative. At first glance the Redcap just looks like a gnome, but then the eye is drawn to the claws, the heavy iron boots, and the face twisted in evil. It’s a solid effort, full of character and easy on the eyes.

The Fey seem divided into ‘true’ races, like the Darklings, which appear to breed and have a culture, and the ‘summoned’ races, like the Meenlock, who come into being in response to great evil and then act as predators for a time. The Redcap falls solidly into the latter camp; when murder is committed near a crossing to the Feywild, or in the Feywild itself, then ‘one or more’ little red mushrooms appear. Come the next moonshine, they will pop up as little gnomes, fully equipped and ready to slay. There are a few intriguing elements to this account of their spawning, if you will. The Redcaps have a connection to the individual whose murderous acts brought them about; they tend to either slay that person, or work for them, provided that they can provide new victims. This makes for a really interesting idea - if the players find a young boy, say, being chased by Redcaps, does that make him a victim - or a suspect? You can also justify any number of Redcaps appearing in your adventure, as the description is vague, and so these guys can serve as the BBEG’s muscle in a Fey themed adventure, while the Korreds and Quicklings and whatnot serve other roles in the story. Hags, for example, have 2d4+2 Redcaps listed as ‘brute’ minions.

Redcaps can serve as ‘things to meet in the Feywild’, of course - a group of them with nearly-dry hats will cheerfully attack any group of players, especially since once the blood in their hat dries fully then the Redcap will vanish. However, they also let you use them as a murder mystery element; if the players know that Murder Most Foul was done on the moor two days ago, and furthermore saw the Redcap mushrooms, will they choose to let them ‘bloom’ in order to follow the Redcap and see who it seeks out? Between this and all the other Fey creatures, you can probably get a surprisingly robust sandbox campaign by just stuffing all their inbuilt plots into a single small town and its environs.

The Redcap is CR 3 and has a very straightforward statblock, although it uses a fair number of words to indicate how it works. The Iron Boots and Outsize Strength entries basically just clarify that it is small sized, can’t hide, and gets to use a whopping great sickle. That sickle - that wicked sickle - lets it attack three times a turn, doing only slightly more damage than the CR 1 Quickling (see above for commentary on how odd the Quickling’s CR is). It also gets a very fun Ironbound Pursuit ability, which as an action lets the Redcap move up to its speed and boot someone in the shins - forcing a dex save or take 3d10+4 damage and go prone. The save DC isn’t that hard, but Dex is also often quite a difficult save for the frontline characters - Paladins are all born with Dex 8, it seems - and so this might work surprisingly well. It’s a nasty trick especially in groups, as it then lets another Redcap slice and dice the character on the ground with advantage. Otherwise, the Redcap has, you know, armour and hit points and darkvision and whatnot. It’s a pretty simple statblock, with the Ironbound Pursuit being their distinguishing feature.

I’m quite fond of these guys. They will serve admirably as the bread & butter of a Fey themed adventure, being simple but dangerous brutes, and they are easy to integrate into a plot.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Upthread I mentioned that I was working on a Statblock for Sparkules, the Strongest Gnome in the World. I will be cribbing heavily from the Redcap to make that work.

Also of note: The Redcap has one of the few instances of using a non-standard weapon, and non-standard weapon die for attacks. The Wicked Sickle is deals 2d4 damage inherently, and is not modified by any ability that the Redcap has (Contrast with the Blade of Ilneval's Foe Smiter of Ilneval ability.) I think I am going to make that available in my games as a standard martial one handed weapon to provide an alternative to the longsword.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases