• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Let's Talk About How to "Fix" D&D

TheSword

Legend
I've solved some of that by having the magic items grow with the players. As they get more "attuned" the unlock more powers of the magic item
That’s definitely a cool idea.

The group has an artificer. I wonder if combining or consuming items could work to make existing items stronger? Like your attunement method.

Im partly hoisted by my own Petard. I’ve combined two magic item heavy APs... Shattered Star and Rise of the Runelords. Im considering not having the shards use up an attunement slot.

I've solved some of that by having the magic items grow with the players. As they get more "attuned" the unlock more powers of the magic item
Yeah this was the solution that Earthdawn came up with way back in 1993.

Earthdawn was basically a systematic attempt to "fix" D&D, and many of the problems mentioned here were "fixed" by Earthdawn, and indeed many solutions people present to D&D problems now are the ones Earthdawn presented way back when (4E and Earthdawn also have a lot of similarities).

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
My issue would be...

The attunement mechanic means that PCs end up carrying around magic items they can’t use. With the difficulty of selling items (and the difficulty of buying them) they effectively become bumpf as characters progress. This cheapens the overall value of magic items rather making them precious.

What use can the PCs have for old magic items they got at levels 3 or 4 when they are now obsolete?

For the record there is zero to nil chance of the players giving items away. They would drag it around for years unless they thought they could get value out of it.

Enforce encumbrance rules. All those old magic swords start taking up weight in your bag (though admittedly several magic items are going to have negligible weight).

I've also started making more and more magic items cursed. They do get rid of some of them then, though not all, and it generates fun arguments when the curse has negative effects on the whole party while the benefits only accrue to one character.

TheSword

Legend
Problem: Too many people still think that playing Rules As Written is somehow the only way to play... but then get all bent out of shape when the books that are printed do not give them the rules they want.

Solution: Knock it off.
I think sometimes after playing in a couple of stable long time groups (some for decades) I forget that lots of people rely on pick up games in a shop, club or online.

I briefly dabbled in that a decade or so ago, but realized a lot of the senior movers-and-shakers in those groups were pretty well ensconced and had things the way they liked them.

I suspect lots of players, take what they can get and don’t have the freedom that I and my players are lucky enough to have.

[Edit: How terrifying that I’m starting to use decade regularly to measure time gone!]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I suspect lots of players, take what they can get and don’t have the freedom that I and my players are lucky enough to have.
Yeah... but if you have to take what you can get... that includes playing with house rules. :)

Oh darn... to actually play a D&D game (general) you wouldn't otherwise get to play at all, you have to learn a few changes to the rules set by the DM whose table you are joining. But what's more important? Playing the game with exactly the rules (general) you want, or playing the game at all? Your choice. But to then complain here on the boards that WotC is forcing you to make this choice rather than printing the rules exactly how you want them so that no choice for you is necessary is downright silly. ;)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Problem: Too many people still think that playing Rules As Written is somehow the only way to play... but then get all bent out of shape when the books that are printed do not give them the rules they want.

Solution: Knock it off.
While possibly true, this isn't a "D&D" problem, it is a gamer problem.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This is a D&D subforum... so for the purposes of this thread it is a D&D problem. ;)
Not really, because there isn't a D&D solution.

Back on topic: this is only a problem for certain playstyles, but since my next thing is going to be a mega-dungeon exploration game: characters get too much XP too quickly for the wrong things. I think I am going to use an XP for treasure system, probably requiring that the characters not only get the treasure out of the dungeon but also spend it in some fashion -- so that golden idol you found needs to not only be converted to coins, but those coins need to be spent on something -- training, carousing, fancy new dud, a week's stay in a really posh inn, whatever. Money used to buy magic items IS NOT worth XP. Then it is just a matter of setting the rewards at the right level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads