• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's Talk Blue Rose

Crothian

First Post
the setting is easy to take to another system. THe feel with go best with something not so rules heavy, but any system is doible.

The rule changes are all pretty familar. defese class bonus, reputation, wealth, skills at max ranks, toughness instead of HP....the magic is really the only thing that hasn't been seen in another book.

Starglim

Explorer
I hadn't considered Earthsea and would definitely like to see how Blue Rose would handle it. (What's the Toughness save DC for being bitten in half by a dragon?)

Crothian

First Post
well, I would assume that being cut in half means a critical. A dragon bite isn't actually listed, but we''l say that it does a nasty +20 damage (dire shark does +14 on a bite) so critical that becomes +40, or a damage save of 55.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Crothian said:
heck, I'd love to take the rules and the influences and apply them to Thieves World game, but I know I could never do that with my current group. It'd be a very different and odd TW game, but it could be so cool......

But this is the big question. If I wanted to use these rule in a totally different genre (but one where social interaction could still be important), how hard would it be?

Crothian

First Post
I think it woulkd be pretty easy. You'd have to come up with your own races as many of the races here won't work in just any setting. But the human and the backgrounds area great way to get started. THe classes are simpel and it is easy for people to use them in other settings and the feats. There realy isn't anything except the races that are reallt ied fast to the setting.

JEL

First Post
Crothian said:
I think it woulkd be pretty easy. You'd have to come up with your own races as many of the races here won't work in just any setting. But the human and the backgrounds area great way to get started. THe classes are simpel and it is easy for people to use them in other settings and the feats. There realy isn't anything except the races that are reallt ied fast to the setting.

From conversations elsewhere, it sounds like the magic has a lot of ties to the setting. How hard will it be to strip them out? I too am thinking about getting this for the rules to be used with a different setting/genre.

Crothian

First Post
I don't think the magic is that tied to the setting, no more then the basic magic system is to Forgotten Realms for instance.

Skywalker

Adventurer
JEL said:
From conversations elsewhere, it sounds like the magic has a lot of ties to the setting. How hard will it be to strip them out? I too am thinking about getting this for the rules to be used with a different setting/genre.

Magic isn't tied to the setting (actually besides the races nothing mechanically is tied to the setting). Magic is based around 6 different areas - Animism, Healing, Meditative, Psychic, Shaping, Visionary. Magic which is particularly offence or controlling is called Sorcery and cause corruption and degeneration.

Overall the magic is a ideas cherry picked from SWd20, the Psychic's Handbook and others. These are then then streamlined and improved (especially the SWd20 stuff) .

Best of all things are very flexible. Want to restrict magic then just restrict access to the Adept Class or change one or two Feats. Want to create psychic, arcane and divine distinctions. Just choose which three areas fall into which three catergories and simply restrict people to cross over.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads