Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #10: Adept

Welcome to the 10th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of the game’s adept class. The adept is a renaming of the monk of O5E, and allows us to portray a wide variety of unarmed combatants.

Adept_-_Júlio_Cesar_Oliveira_Rocha.jpg

When you have absorbed the playtest document, please take the survey and let us know what you think!

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Just to add to this, I remember seeing the responses when they put out UAs with fighter archetypes that used superiority dice--everyone (on reddit, at least) seemed to hate it, seeing it as boring and too much like the Battle Master. Maybe people don't like superiority dice in general?

I'm with you; personally, I would have liked to have more shared mechanics and fewer individual subsystems.

I think people don't like "partial superiority dice" users. They don't want classes and subclasses with more flavor abilities traded in for fewer superiority dice.

Official Manuevers currently don't have the numbers and power that spells have to be shared mechanic and feel interesting.

Onslaught 108

Villager
Personnaly i think the adept name is ok for my parts.

Shockwave Requirement: 5th level You can spend 3 exertion to hit the ground so hard it sends a shockwave in a 40-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d6 bludgeoning damage and falls prone on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Personnaly i make the choice when you make the attack with 3 choice of attack. Burst, line or cone all with the same damage and saving trhow but the choice of direction and effect of the attack.

Quartz

Hero
I've just read the draft and all I'll say is that I'm disappointed to see that Dex is still the uber-stat. Since the class represents a disciplined warrior, how about allowing the use of Proficiency Bonus instead? So unarmoured AC, for example, becomes 10 + Wis + (Dex or Proficiency Bonus). Probably not in all situations, but I'll leave that to you.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I've just read the draft and all I'll say is that I'm disappointed to see that Dex is still the uber-stat. Since the class represents a disciplined warrior, how about allowing the use of Proficiency Bonus instead? So unarmoured AC, for example, becomes 10 + Wis + (Dex or Proficiency Bonus). Probably not in all situations, but I'll leave that to you.
Brutal Defense allows you use Strength instead of Dex along with light armor.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd be onboard with that. It allows for the use of other stats, if desired, which expands possible concepts.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yes, but the flavour text is about discipline and for me, that's Proficiency.
In my survey, I put in requests for more pugilist-style abilities. Hopefully enough other people did that they listened. That should make the class be better for Strength-based characters.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Cenobite
Ascetic
Contemplative?... Ascetic? Cenobite?...

Any religious term for an otherwise secular warrior gets a hard no from me. Appropriating the Eastern monastic tradition was inappropriate and misleading, and that would be the same with Western monasticism too.

That said, I really like all the brainstorming in this thread. Many folks have replicated nearly verbatim the conversations about the name the design team had. It goes to show the challenge of the task.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases