D&D 5E Levels 1-4 are "Training Wheels?"

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I...can't relate to this thread. Even after 10 pages of comments.

D&D never feels like it has "training wheels" on it, like I'm waiting around for my character to suddenly start functioning the way I intended. There is never a point in my character's career where I think "oh thank goodness I can finally use this special ability, now my character is playable!/complete!/useful!/etc.!"

I have just as much fun at 1st level as I do at 15th. I still run for my life when I'm overmatched, I still struggle to solve riddles and puzzles, and I still have to rely on my friends (or my supply of potions) to keep me on this side of the afterlife. I get excited about new toys, but I also get excited about new dungeons and new NPCs and new merchants. The things on my character sheet aren't the only things that define the game or my character.

If the game feels like it has training wheels on it for your character, maybe that's by design? Maybe you've got your heart set on a highly-specific combination of abilities and resources, with no room for flexibility, and so of course you're going to feel like you're in a holding pattern until you get them. Or maybe that's how the DM intends for the game to feel, to build up a bit of tension and prologue and let you guys grow into your powers organically before kicking you out the door to Save The World.

But if it's a problem, and it's affecting your interest in the lower levels of play, talk to your DM. I'm sure you guys can cook up something.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I mean it's fact that most classes don't actually start functioning the way they're intended until level 3 when the subclass finally, arduously comes online.
The first two levels take literally two days in-game, and maybe two sessions of real time, if going by the DMG recommendations.
I mean, if that's "finally, arduously," I can't imagine how to describe a real problem lol.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I mean it's fact that most classes don't actually start functioning the way they're intended until level 3 when the subclass finally, arduously comes online.
Really? I have always found the subclass to be superfluous and wouldn't even miss them if they were gone from the game.

To my mind, the functions would revolve around:
  • Barbarian - Level 1 rage, their primary function.
  • Bard - Level 1 inspiration, their "thing", or spellcasting, also a huge part of their function.
  • Cleric - gets subclass at level 1 anyway..., but otherwise spellcasting--subclass is a 50/50 thing IMO.
  • Druid - no even sure what their function is? wildshaping? spellcasting? 🤷‍♂️ so levels 1 or 2?
  • Fighter - Level 1 fighting style or level 2 action surge? They can fight from Level 1 and that is their function...
  • Monk - Level 1 martial arts, or probably level 2, Ki, their thing for functioning.
  • Paladin - Level 2 smites, their primary function IME, but even level 1 lay on hands is pretty iconic.
  • Ranger - RAW a lost cause so not touching this one...
  • Rogue - Level 1 expertise and sneak attack-- enough said. :)
  • Sorcerer - subclass has nothing to do with their functioning really, it is font of magic and metamagic at levels 2 and 3 really.
  • Warlock - subclass at level 1 has little to do with their "function", which is really all about eldritch invocations IME at level 2.
  • Wizard - spellcasting at level 1 and arcane recovery, so functioning out of the gate.

Level 1's are Barbarian, Bards, Clerics (subclass sometimes, sometimes not a big part of function), Fighter, Rogue, Wizard. That's half the classes at level 1 and really only the cleric has any function-based thing from subclass.

Level 2's are Druids (subclass meh except for Moon), Monk, Paladin, Warlock. That's another 4.

Level 3's are really just Sorcerers when Metamagic (nothing to do with subclass) comes online.

Ranger's are probably the ONLY class whose subclass comes at 3rd level that really need it to help define how they should actually function. But that is really more because Favored Enemy is about as lame as you can get.

So, with the vast majority of classes actually functioning as intended before level 3 and not even relying on subclasses, I don't see how its a "fact" really.

I suppose I can see tier 2 being preferable if you enjoy “combat as sport” type gameplay. Characters have a decent amount of options, but it’s not yet overwhelming. But it’s not generally what my group prefers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases