D&D 5E Levels Above 10?

fjw70

Adventurer
What do you see levels above 10 looking like for DDN? The ancient huge dragons in the Bestiary are levels 8-9. The reds and blues will probably be 10-11 level. What kind of creatures will challange a 15th level party?

There will probably be a domian rulership/management module, but what else will 11+ level characters do?

It would love to see a L&L article talking about this (at least in general terms). I know there probably haven't worked on it much by now, but they should have some ideas.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Well, I have a feeling 5th Ed will go to 20 *insert Nigel Tufnell reference*, with the option to keep going; as for monsters: tons of stuff: pit fiends, aboleths, genies, titans, ancient dragons, etc.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
I think if they're smart, the mathematical progression past 10th won't be a linear increase, but even flatter than 1st-10th.

Personally, I would't be surprised if they left 11th+ level out for now and decided to "do it down the road" as a seperate book - only to see it never appear (like the 4E DMG support for Epic).

Quickleaf

Legend
Has anyone figured out why the ancient dragon abilities are in a call-out box? Is it intended to be like a template which is applied to, say, a huge white dragon? So there are huge white dragons and then there are ancient huge white dragons?

ren1999

First Post
See my flat math post when taken to level 30. I'm making a point about flat math. If the idea is to have no bonus above +10, then the most powerful creature in the game is only +10 bonus more than the weakest creature in the game with a +0 bonus.

Grimmjow

First Post
there will defiantly by level past 10. in the legends and lore this week mike said that they are working on rules for higher levels of play and multi-classing. I can see it stopping at level 20 with maybe a book on "epic" play later. I wouldn't mind seeing some crazy set of rules for unlimited levels. But not right away ;)

Raith5

Adventurer
Is there anything new here in this L&L? Sure most people only played early versions of D&D to 10th level but that was because the game broke down badly after 12th - mainly because of the maths of saves and AC. I am not sure it was a gaming style choice! At least this was the case for me with AD&D and 2nd ed and for 3rd ed for slightly different reasons than maths. This problem was by far less pronounced in 4th ed. Though I felt the 4th ed tiers were overly mechanical, they did indicate interesting shifts in the focus and substance of play.

Remove ads