D&D 5E Licensing so far....

Boarstorm

First Post
I was really looking forward to the spell cards, but now I will not buy them.

Leaving out an important information because they would have run out of space? Seriously, is this really supposed to be an actual excuse? If you run out of space while trying to cover important information it means you have to redo your layout not just leave out what doesn't fit.

What's this, now? I missed this bit of information.

Henrix

Explorer
According to Alliance/Diamond (the exclusive distributors for North America) the release date is October 29 for the US, and November 5 for Canada and Mexico.
Hmph, I don't think Alliance has given us a shipping date to Europe. I'll check tomorrow.

Gale Force 9. They're doing what they've always done: overly expensive accessories. Looks okay, but really not worth the cost. Just like their miniatures and player kits. Considering how easy it is to make a spell card with a subpar printer, some card stock, and non-dull scissors you're really paying for the convenience.
They're a luxury item, and as such quality doesn't really matter.

The Kobold Press adventures. This gets into matters of taste. Personally, the adventures sound excellent. Different adventures *should* be different in tone and feel, to appeal to different audiences. If you're not a fan that's too bad, but I'm sure the next super adventure will appeal to you, or the one after that.

DungeonScape... this is trickier. I haven't seen the iOS app, just the web "beta". But the later is really an alpha. It's missing basic functionality needed to use the app. And I haven't seen any real progress in the last month. Even simple stuff like changing the math for magic items or including all the details of class featured or being able to print a character sheet are absent.
At this point the app diesn't really save you any time. That doesn't make it vapour ware, that just makes it a disappointment.
Really, Trapdoor tech just doesn't seem able to handle making three versions of the same app for different platforms. The iOS one might be done, but that just means the Windows version is 3-5 months from done and the Android version even more. That'so not really acceptable. Especially when the game won't stand still and let them catch up; the longer they take the more content that needs to be incorporated into the system.

JesterOC

Explorer
Just read this on the Dungeonscape beta forums. I guess it is officially vaporware.

Greetings friends,

Today, we have news that is both sobering and hopeful. Wizards of the Coast and Trapdoor Technologies will no longer be working together to develop DungeonScape for Fifth Edition D&D, and we will not be releasing the product in its current form. The beta program on all platforms will be shutting down at noon (MST) on Friday, October 31.
Read more here: www.trapdoortechnologies.com/dungeonscape

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just read this on the Dungeonscape beta forums. I guess it is officially vaporware.

Greetings friends,

Today, we have news that is both sobering and hopeful. Wizards of the Coast and Trapdoor Technologies will no longer be working together to develop DungeonScape for Fifth Edition D&D, and we will not be releasing the product in its current form. The beta program on all platforms will be shutting down at noon (MST) on Friday, October 31.
Read more here: www.trapdoortechnologies.com/dungeonscape

The rest of the announcement

Although we can’t reveal all of the details regarding the future of DungeonScape, we are happy to say that there is indeed a future—so fear not!

This project, 100% internally funded, conceptualized, and built by our talented team at Trapdoor, has been a labor of love from the very beginning. We set out to change the way RPGs are played at the table—making our game night more about enjoying the adventure than searching for rules. We still hold true to that quest. We believe that our Story Machine™ is a powerful tool for converting information into something more useful and rich.

We’re working hard to solidify the details of what’s next for DungeonScape, and we’ll share that information with you when it’s appropriate.

Until then, please continue to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. We’ll do our very best to answer any questions you have through social media or email.

Long live the adventure.

Love,

The Trapdoor Technologies Team

JesterOC

Explorer
If we are lucky this is the best case scenario. Looks like they will continue to develop their product while WotC can open the license to other products. Perhaps soon Fantasy Grounds will announce an effort to release 5e support. Or perhaps we will get PDF's now. Let the best creators win.

BoldItalic

First Post
I don't imagine WotC would have let DS die without having a Plan B. We just have to wait to find out what it is.

My reading is, that they let Trapdoor have a go, at no great cost to themselves; if it worked out, fine, if not, no problem, they will do what they were going to do anyway. Business is business.

I expect the WotC line henceforth will be "Digital? No, we tried digital and it didn't work out."

If they sort out licensing arrangements for 3rd party modules, we might see those going ePub but I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get the core books in PDF.

fjw70

Adventurer
I was willing to give the DS Ebook a try but now I am officially in the PDFs NOW wagon. Their No PDF excuse was not wanting to step on DS's toes. That is no longer a concern.

Remove ads