D&D (2024) What should WotC change with their new screen?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I started with a portrait screen and it was fine, but then I started using a grid and suddenly I struggled to see over it, unless I was standing. I tend to do both, switching between sitting and standing.

So I find that the landscape screen works better for me..

This is why (if you look at the pix of my gameroom) you'll notice that I set up on a long side of the table not at an end. This allows me to step to either side of the lectern (or the screen when I used one) and do things on the battlemat without having to reach over players. The lectern is also on wheels, so sometimes I also just roll it away from the table. The table pictured also has TWO leaves, even though it has no leaves in when I snapped those pix. I usually only use one, but for a big set piece i put in both and that provides lots of room. Thus, I can have two players at each end and up to four players on the opposite long end (though typically it is two or three).

I know I am privileged to have a set up like this, esp. since I was kid who grew up playing D&D at dining room tables that had to be cleared by a certain time so we could eat, parks, pizza places, and for a short time with a dinner tray in a corner of a friend's grandfather's model train room (without being allowed to actually touch any of the terrain and stuff).

But the lectern is sick.. Please tell me you also use either a long stick or a laser pointer to point at things on the table.
Since we use measuring sticks marked with 1 inch "boxes" (increments) for tactical movement, I usually have the 12-inch one in my hand and yes, do use it to point to things.

The whiteboard behind it is an excellent touch as well.
A dream of mine come true!

My MiL overheard me say I really wanted a classroom sized dry erase board for one wall of the gameroom when we had recently moved into a new house and she got it for my birthday about four years ago.

Last edited:

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
My MiL overheard me say I really wanted a classroom sized dry erase board for one wall of the gameroom when we had recently moved into a new house and she got for my birthday about four years ago.
A few years ago I was on a website that auctioned off things from various liquidation sales. I usually liked looking at offices that went out of business.. Got some good deals on monitor arms and stuff that way. I once bid on a big whiteboard on a stand.. One of those ones that's two sided and you can flip it over...

I didn't win it, and in hindsight it was probably for the best. I was living in a one bedroom apartment at the time, and so far I've only upgraded to a two bedroom... But I'm with you on it being a dream 'someday item'.. One day I'll get that flip white board so I can spin it around on my players for a dramatic reveal!

Osgood

Hero
My situation is probably pretty atypical, but I've got a dedicated gaming table with a DM nook that basically eliminates my need for a DM screen to hide notes, minis, dice rolls, etc. So to be honest, I'd like to see D&D Beyond create a DM screen page that I can pull up on a laptop or tablet. Make it customizable where I can drag and drop what tables I want to see, have a scaled scaled down version of the encounter builder/initiative tracker for running combat, and perhaps a implied search area to pull up monsters, magic items, etc. that doesn't take up the whole screen.

Vael

Legend
I prefer a landscape screen because a portrait screen is too tall for me and really separates me from the players. I dislike setting myself that apart from the group. Also, I do not roll dice behind a screen in combat, so I'd find portrait too intrusive for me. Heck, there are times I find even landscape too much. Most of my notes are on a tablet or laptop so tbh, the screen isn't really to hide info.

This thread prompted me to check out 3rd party changeable screens and most are portrait and therefore not for me.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My situation is probably pretty atypical, but I've got a dedicated gaming table with a DM nook that basically eliminates my need for a DM screen to hide notes, minis, dice rolls, etc. So to be honest, I'd like to see D&D Beyond create a DM screen page that I can pull up on a laptop or tablet. Make it customizable where I can drag and drop what tables I want to see, have a scaled scaled down version of the encounter builder/initiative tracker for running combat, and perhaps a implied search area to pull up monsters, magic items, etc. that doesn't take up the whole screen.
I seem to recall seeing a bunch of digital screen PDFs. I suspect there are already options out there that might fill your needs.

R_J_K75

Legend
They should look at the 2E screens for inspiration, or the 3E Kingdoms of Kalamar Screen. Portrait definitely, any artwork on a DM screen is nothing but wasted space IMO, it should all be useful info and tables, etc. Wouldnt be a bad idea to make both, one for DMs and one for Players. Or a player's packet with all the classes in it, more like a handout than a screen.

Shiroiken

Legend
I think the main thing is access to charts that aren't easily memorized. The weapons and armor charts, plus adventuring gear prices. Container capacity, which is a pet peeve of mine. Light ranges. Things like that.

Another item that's pretty vital is the effects of Conditions, but IIRC both DM screens already have this.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Regularly consulted charts should also be printed on the end pages of the core books, an innovation that most RPG publishers seem to be coming around to.

Instead of having to flip through the whole book for stuff I will look up more or less every session, just put it on the inside front cover.

Having blank end pages is a huge waste of valuable -- and easily consulted -- real estate.

Remove ads