D&D (2024) What should WotC change with their new screen?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I would rather a magnetic backing with some magnets with clips. The one can buy the screen and each slipcase can feature laminated tables and rules that can be attached to the inside of base screen.

aco175

Legend
The outside some dope-ass art.
1717415629578.png
Brought to you be the PCs for the Ethical Treatment of Asses.

DavyGreenwind

Just some guy
I want a DM dream machine. I'm talking attachable dice tower. I'm talking a 4k screen. Bose speakers. Pre-downloaded ambience library. Voice activated. Wifi hotspot included. AI virtual DM assistant that sounds like Scarlett Johanssen...nay, IS Scarlet Johanssen's properly licensed voice. And it has a button that, when pressed, immediately puts in a Doordash order for pretzels.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The most important information to put on the inside of the screen are immediate, often forgotten modifiers. What grants advantage? Disadvantage? How does cover work again? How far out do light sources work? How long do they last? I would also like to see a quick chart for on the fly monster generation: give a table of tier 1 and 2 CRs, with standard HP, AC, attacks bonuses, damage, etc... with a short list of iconic special abilities/attacks/defenses below it. Same for a curated list of common traps. The job of the screen (besides make it so the players can't see exactly how little I prepared) is to make it so I don't have to flip through the books and kill momentum during play.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I want a DM dream machine. I'm talking attachable dice tower. I'm talking a 4k screen. Bose speakers. Pre-downloaded ambience library. Voice activated. Wifi hotspot included. AI virtual DM assistant that sounds like Scarlett Johanssen...nay, IS Scarlet Johanssen's properly licensed voice. And it has a button that, when pressed, immediately puts in a Doordash order for pretzels.
Someone will be happy to tell you this for several thousand dollars on Kickstarter.

Stormonu

NeoGrognard
"How does what work?" as requirement for inclusion on the screen:

You'd have to have the jumping, light and encumbrance rules printed in big text. Maybe people would then actually pay attention to them existing.

Clint_L

Legend
A strip or clip-on for tracking initiative along the top or front of the screen.

Honestly, since mid 3E, with D&D moving away from charts, I’ve just used it to hide my notes and haven’t used it to consult info.
This. Mine is mostly for aesthetic purposes, TBH. My spouse got me a gorgeous, carved wooden screen with plexiglass panels and magnets as an X-mas present a few years back, so I am obliged to use it, and I do love it. But mostly it's there for the occasional roll that the players can't see for story purposes. However, it has a slot across the top where you can attach initiative markers, and if I didn't use DDB, that would be the coolest feature. Also, the plexiglass panels are handy for jotting notes on.

For a cheap screen, I think some method of tracking initiative and maybe conditions would be the most useful additions.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
1. I can’t read anything on a landscape screen. It is too low and I tend to stand 90% of the time while DMing.
2. Sometimes it is really easy for players to see over even just by accident.
3. Landscape screens take up more vertical space on the table.

But you know what? I haven’t bought pre-printed screen since 1E era because none fit my needs. I was always a DIY screens are better guy and these days don’t even use one.

I got a lectern. 😂

IMG_3175.jpeg
IMG_3174.jpeg

So yeah, someone else should decide, not me. 😏😉😂

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
1. I can’t read anything on a landscape screen. It is too low and I tend to stand 90% of the time while DMing.
2. Sometimes it is really easy for players to see over even just by accident.
3. Landscape screens take up more vertical space on the table.

But you know what? I haven’t bought pre-printed screen since 1E era because none fit my needs. I was always a DIY screens are better guy and these days don’t even use one.

I got a lectern. 😂

View attachment 365932View attachment 365933

So yeah, someone else should decide, not me. 😏😉😂
That's awesome...

I started with a portrait screen and it was fine, but then I started using a grid and suddenly I struggled to see over it, unless I was standing. I tend to do both, switching between sitting and standing.

So I find that the landscape screen works better for me.. Though last session I didn't use it at all. I mostly just want to hide my notes.. Like the master copy of the map I'm working off of. I've thought about getting an easel binder, or a small stand to use my trapper keeper like a easel binder.

But the lectern is sick.. Please tell me you also use either a long stick or a laser pointer to point at things on the table.

The whiteboard behind it is an excellent touch as well.

Remove ads